Board index » FREE TIME » Myth, Magic and Spirituality

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
          
Author Message
 Post subject: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:24 am  |  Posted from: United States
  

Top Member
Top Member

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 830
Topics: 76
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United States of America
For more secrets please visit the majestic ancient city Abydos. Oh and look for Seti's hall of records it could likely under Seti's temple.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 am  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

User avatar
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 6749
Topics: 380
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Age: 66
Frater0082 wrote:
For more secrets please visit the majestic ancient city Abydos. Oh and look for Seti's hall of records it could likely under Seti's temple.


Do you need to take your own digging tools or are they provided? :lol:

____________________________________________
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:22 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

User avatar
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 pm
Posts: 8008
Topics: 170
Images: 549
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United Kingdom
So how long do I leave this post before it has to be moved to Myth and Spirituality, it's 50/50 at the moment. ;)

____________________________________________


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am  |  Posted from: United States
  

User avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 36
Images: 26
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
I think that theory may have been suggested by Omm Sety in a book called Omm Sety's Egypt. In fact, if I remember correctly, the published account of her relationship with Seti I, led to excavation of the temple foundations in Abydos. The results weren't conclusive because the project wasn't able to be completed due to instability of the ground beneath the foundations but the remains of a previous temple were discovered among other interesting items.
So Frater isn't too far off the mark with his theory and he's in good company since Omm Sety sincerely believed she had lived in the early part of the 19th dynasty.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

User avatar
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 pm
Posts: 8008
Topics: 170
Images: 549
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United Kingdom
Exactly and that is my dilemma, as it stands 50% of what he is suggesting is correct and 50% could well stray into the realms of fantasy, it all depends upon which way the members go with this and of course Omm Sety believing she lived in another life is not necessarily proof that she did and history is supposed to deal with known facts and not with peoples personal beliefs, so lets just see how it goes. ;)

____________________________________________


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am  |  Posted from: United States
  

User avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 36
Images: 26
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Well, if taken to the extreme any mention of an Egyptian God would then fall into the myth category. However a statue of a God would pertain to archeology. On the other hand, history includes the study of culture, which includes a study of religion, myth and in the case of Egypt magic. So the topics aren't mutually exclusive. The fact that Frater believes he lived during that time merely informs his archeological theories.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:01 am  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 7210
Topics: 518
Images: 2
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
National Flag:
Egypt
I wonder if Frater is getting a little muddled here.

The only place I know of in the temple of Seti I at Abydos, which is sometimes referred to as the "Hall Of Records", is the Gallery of Lists containing the famous scene of Seti I presenting the crown prince Rameses in front of a row of cartouches of his forebears.

Omm Sety - Dorothy Eady - reportedly asked Seti I about the semi-mythical Hall of Records (a supposed depository of ancient texts which had been mooted to be in the area of the Sphinx) and his reply indicated a location near Luxor Temple.

While the general public tend to focus on the beauty of ancient Egyptian artefacts, scholars highly value texts which reveal more about history and religious beliefs. Since Edgar Cayce, a clairvoyant of Presbyterian background, asserted while in a trance state that a Hall of Records was to be found in the area of the Sphinx, there have been repeated attempts to find its supposed location.[92] In 1973 Omm Sety recalled asking Seti I about these Halls of Records. He replied that every temple had a book repository ("Per-Medjat"), but that the one attached to the Temple of Amun-Ra in Luxor contained all the important documents "from the time of the Ancestors," including those that survived the political upheaval at the end of the 6th dynasty.[93] In 1952 Omm Sety translated for Abdul Kader inscriptions from Ram statues he had uncovered from the temple at Luxor. They had been found in the area where Seti located the Hall of Records. Contrary to normal practice for this type of statue, there was no writing on the back, suggesting that they had once been placed against an otherwise unknown wall or building. Based on Seti's description and the location of the Rams, both she and Dr. Zeini believed that the Hall of Records is likely to be located under the modern building which houses the Arab Socialist League.[94]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

Glyphdoctor, who compiled and edited Omm Sety's notes in the publication "Omm Sety's Living Egypt" may be able to shed more light on this and whether Omm Seti (or Seti I !) said anything about a depository at Abydos.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:19 pm  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

User avatar
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 6749
Topics: 380
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Age: 66
newcastle wrote:
I wonder if Frater is getting a little muddled here.

The only place I know of in the temple of Seti I at Abydos, which is sometimes referred to as the "Hall Of Records", is the Gallery of Lists containing the famous scene of Seti I presenting the crown prince Rameses in front of a row of cartouches of his forebears.

Omm Sety - Dorothy Eady - reportedly asked Seti I about the semi-mythical Hall of Records (a supposed depository of ancient texts which had been mooted to be in the area of the Sphinx) and his reply indicated a location near Luxor Temple.

While the general public tend to focus on the beauty of ancient Egyptian artefacts, scholars highly value texts which reveal more about history and religious beliefs. Since Edgar Cayce, a clairvoyant of Presbyterian background, asserted while in a trance state that a Hall of Records was to be found in the area of the Sphinx, there have been repeated attempts to find its supposed location.[92] In 1973 Omm Sety recalled asking Seti I about these Halls of Records. He replied that every temple had a book repository ("Per-Medjat"), but that the one attached to the Temple of Amun-Ra in Luxor contained all the important documents "from the time of the Ancestors," including those that survived the political upheaval at the end of the 6th dynasty.[93] In 1952 Omm Sety translated for Abdul Kader inscriptions from Ram statues he had uncovered from the temple at Luxor. They had been found in the area where Seti located the Hall of Records. Contrary to normal practice for this type of statue, there was no writing on the back, suggesting that they had once been placed against an otherwise unknown wall or building. Based on Seti's description and the location of the Rams, both she and Dr. Zeini believed that the Hall of Records is likely to be located under the modern building which houses the Arab Socialist League.[94]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

Glyphdoctor, who compiled and edited Omm Sety's notes in the publication "Omm Sety's Living Egypt" may be able to shed more light on this and whether Omm Seti (or Seti I !) said anything about a depository at Abydos.


So we now have a name to google our hearts out with. Not. :up

____________________________________________
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:08 pm  |  Posted from: United States
  

Top Member
Top Member

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 830
Topics: 76
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United States of America
Dusak wrote:
Frater0082 wrote:
For more secrets please visit the majestic ancient city Abydos. Oh and look for Seti's hall of records it could likely under Seti's temple.


Do you need to take your own digging tools or are they provided? :lol:


Lol that's not really needed just knock


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:16 pm  |  Posted from: United States
  

Top Member
Top Member

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 830
Topics: 76
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United States of America
Many of you have alot to learn about the spiritual realm and your own spirit.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 pm  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 3972
Topics: 93
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Age: 45
Frater, Abydos is a really difficult subject to understand. A one day visit, to this sight that in reality is in the middle of nowhere, usually takes a three hour journey both to and from Luxor by road. By train, it's the same, though from the nearest station to Abydos takes a further 30 minutes by taxi,..........you certainly would not want to wait for a bus.

So having said that, most tourists stay for about three hours. They arrive from about 10 a.m. and the last groups are gone by 3 p.m. Most tourist think that in that one visit they have seen everything. Many a time when I've been there the gate at the top of the ramp on the back exit of the temple has been locked, so often was the case such tourists never even realised that tomb of Osirus was beyond this, let alone Rameses temple, and much, much more, there's even an ancient pyramid within a 20 minute walk. It might seem to surprise some on here that there are at least six ancient pyramid remains between Luxor and Abydos.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here Fratter, is that each and every tourist who has been to Abydos, has gone from believing they have seen everything, when in truth they have seen little. To put it in simple terms, it like a foreign tourist in London going to the Tower of London to see the Crown Jewels then leaving, without even realising they were in a castle.

To study the details of Abydos takes a great deal of time, then you say to your self, 'Hm, very interesting", but it takes a hell of a lot longer time of very careful study before you realise the secrets.

Please write on here anything so far that you do not understand, and I will answer to my best ability, then I shall write further information, perhaps in stages to help you have a clearer understanding of Abydos.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:29 am  |  Posted from: United States
  

User avatar
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 36
Images: 26
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
In Omm Sety's Egypt by Hanny el Zeini she refers to a "Treasury" as yet to be discovered within the Temple of Seti I. According to Zeini "there is a four meter difference between the floor height of the Archive rooms and the Hall of Sacred Barques and Butcher's Hall immediately to the east of the Archives." pp. 171-172


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 am  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 7210
Topics: 518
Images: 2
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
National Flag:
Egypt
LuxorFan wrote:
In Omm Sety's Egypt by Hanny el Zeini she refers to a "Treasury" as yet to be discovered within the Temple of Seti I. According to Zeini "there is a four meter difference between the floor height of the Archive rooms and the Hall of Sacred Barques and Butcher's Hall immediately to the east of the Archives." pp. 171-172


Maybe Frater meant Treasury....rather than Hall of Records.

Most temples would have had one, or more treasuries, and they have featured several times in " treasure searches" relating to Egypt....some realistic, some fantastical.

I found this reference to the "hidden" treasury at Abydos :

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=dv ... os&f=false


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

User avatar
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 pm
Posts: 8008
Topics: 170
Images: 549
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Male
National Flag:
United Kingdom
It would be nice if KevininAbydos were to chip into this conversation, I know he still looks in :up

____________________________________________


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:58 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 3972
Topics: 93
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Age: 45
Hi Luxorfan, and thank you for your contribution. I am pleased that you appear on this subject with results from your own studies, and not the usual 'wiki' references we see so often on forum websites these days.

The Butchers Hall, again it's entrance is at the foot of the ramp that leads to the back exit of the Temple, which is also gated. Few people ever get the chance to even enter this area. Most of the view at this point is prevented by a deliberate apron wall, that was built at the same time as the Temple, evidently, some of the priests found it offensive to witness the slaughtering of such animals as required, being that this area was not just a butchery department. There is also no other justification for this said wall. Incidentally, the wall decorations here throughout, are stunning and although they do not depicts scenes of the faith, but scenes of everyday life within a slaughterhouse and a butchery, some, I might add are a little gory.

Information on the Hall of Records I hope to come back to at another further stage, though I do take a keen interest in your above reference. I do not believe that proof evidence of a Pharaoh's bloodline can be so described as above, being that such scenes can be witnessed in Temples throughout Egypt, therefore not really a Hall of Records, and I suppose instead, as proof that a such Pharaoh built what ever you see around you.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 am  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 7210
Topics: 518
Images: 2
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
National Flag:
Egypt
A-Four wrote:
Hi Luxorfan, and thank you for your contribution. I am pleased that you appear on this subject with results from your own studies, and not the usual 'wiki' references we see so often on forum websites these days.

.


It would be helpful if some of your posts contained references....any reference ( such as that mentioned by Luxorfan)....to what you tediously spout about Egypt so that we can determine whether what you are saying has any substance or is just an exercise in flummery intended to convey a level of knowledge, or qualifications, which you may....or may not... actually have.

Try as I may, I am unable to connect this following paragraph with anything written by Luxorfan....seems to wander off in some cryptic direction:

"Information on the Hall of Records I hope to come back to at another further stage, though I do take a keen interest in your above reference. I do not believe that proof evidence of a Pharaoh's bloodline can be so described as above, being that such scenes can be witnessed in Temples throughout Egypt, therefore not really a Hall of Records, and I suppose instead, as proof that a such Pharaoh built what ever you see around you."

I would have a better chance of interpreting the English if it was written in hieroglyphs.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:35 am  |  Posted from: Turkey
  

User avatar
Top Member
Top Member

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 am
Posts: 789
Topics: 17
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: Female
National Flag:
Turkey
A4, I'm a tourist and I've been to Abydos many times, usually spending at least 5 hours there. I can assure you that not EVERY tourist behaves as you describe. I've visited the Royal Pyramid there, and remember Stan pointing out one of the others that you mention - it can be seen from the Western Desert Road. I've always gained entrance to the Butchers Hall, and on my last visit was on the point of descending the wooden ladder to the Tomb of Osiris - after the promise of a hefty bribe - when I realised it was completely rotten and likely to collapse under my weight!

Not all tourists are the same. Some of us have a genuine interest in the antiquities, and do the research and reading to enable us to understand - if only a little - what we see. My main interest is Ancient Egyptian art, and its application to modern religions, and of course the art in the Temple of Seti1 is superlative.

There was a recent thread about how the Forum has changed. When I joined in 2011, there were many more serious posts about Egyptology, about organising trips etc, really useful information that was invaluable to the visitor. Sadly, not too many of them now.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 3972
Topics: 93
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
Age: 45
Yildez, what I am trying to do here is to give the likes of Frater, a careful introduction about Abydos, he has never been there, but even so, MOST tourist from around the world, visit Abydos once in their life, and even they are lucky if they get three hours to study. When they get home they may study further, but the usual response can only be 'I wish, I had seen that'.

You, I and many who live in Egypt, have been privileged to visit often, or even stay there for a number of weeks. What you have written above is really to agree with what I have written so far, otherwise you would have stated an objection.

As I write more on this subject, I hope to answer a question you have put regarding private visits to certain sites, especially Abydos.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 am  |  Posted from: United Kingdom
  

User avatar
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 12074
Topics: 637
Images: 233
Arcade Highscores: 5
Gender: Female
A-Four wrote:
..but even so, MOST tourist from around the world, visit Abydos once in their life,...


Really? I think not. Perhaps you have statistical evidence to persuade me otherwise.

____________________________________________
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Abydos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:09 am  |  Posted from: Egypt
  

Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 7210
Topics: 518
Images: 2
Arcade Highscores: 0
Gender: None specified
National Flag:
Egypt
A-Four wrote:
Yildez, what I am trying to do here is to give the likes of Frater, a careful introduction about Abydos, he has never been there, but even so, MOST tourist from around the world, visit Abydos once in their life, and even they are lucky if they get three hours to study. When they get home they may study further, but the usual response can only be 'I wish, I had seen that'.

You, I and many who live in Egypt, have been privileged to visit often, or even stay there for a number of weeks. What you have written above is really to agree with what I have written so far, otherwise you would have stated an objection.

As I write more on this subject, I hope to answer a question you have put regarding private visits to certain sites, especially Abydos.


I hadn't noticed he'd requested one and I'm sure any interest he, or anyone else, has would be far better assuaged by reading any number of excellent books on Abydos and the vast amount of material available online.

The reminiscences of an elderly tourist, who now is an infrequent visitor, are unlikely to be of great help....especially with regard to accessing "certain sites".

Even you must have noticed we've had a few changes around here in the last year or two...affecting access to sites in particular.


  Top                        
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic


Similar Topics

 Similar topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Boat Burial at Abydos

in History and Archaeology

Horus

0

58

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 am

 


Who is online

Who is online Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum