Abydos

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Abydos

Post by Who2 »

Well the expert regarding Om Seti is Glyph Dr....8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LuxorFan

Post by LuxorFan »

Frater,
According to Hanny el Zeini, Omm Sety is buried in Abydos ..."outside the Coptic cemetery, midway between the Sety and Ramesses temples." pp. 279 Omm Sety's Egypt
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

LuxorFan wrote:Frater,
According to Hanny el Zeini, Omm Sety is buried in Abydos ..."outside the Coptic cemetery, midway between the Sety and Ramesses temples." pp. 279 Omm Sety's Egypt
The local health department refused to allow her to be buried in her garden tomb. Instead, her body, facing west, was interred in the desert on the fringe of the Coptic cemetery, just northwest of the Sety and Ramesses temples. p.174 The Search for Omm Sety
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
Horus wrote:The thread is still here, but moved to the heading Myth, Magic and Spirituality as that is clearly where it now belongs.
It is a pity that this subject has deteriated to this level, but I have to agree with you, there has be a form of respect for the History Section of this forum. It is bad enough when Frater goes off at a tangent, but as you can see from my initial post, I wanted to guide him through the whole meaning of Abydos, stage by stage.

Abydos Temple has a very long history, the reason for its sudden change in artistic style, the deep meaning of the Eye of Horus within the Hall of Osiris, the Tomb of Osiris and its connection with the Temple all need to be explained. Finally the one item that brings all this together a secret hidden room, that has no doors, though it was built on two levels, it is known by a number of names, the secret chamber, the treasury, the blind room, though myself after very careful observation of that room, in my opinion it should be called the Spirit of Truth. Evidently such detailed information can not be written up on here in ten minutes, and each section needs to be understood.

I am certain that at least a couple of people on here will have seen and been in this room, and if that is the case, would they please tell us all how they got in and what was the most important thing they noticed in this room, I wait, with baited anticipation.

For the ones who love to search for their info via Wiki, sorry it's very limited, try Abydos - blind room.
There seems to be some disconnect here. Even allowing for your strange use of English I'm having difficulty in reconciling how a "secret hidden room" can suddenly become so visible :urm: Presumably you mean the chamber, that was probably a crypt, and which you can see from the roof.
Last edited by newcastle on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It was baffling me also, unless of course he is referring to a floor entrance to a cellar and not an actual door entrance to a room, similar to the one at Dendera, or he may be reffering to the one that is open to the sky and only seen from the roof.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:It was baffling me also, unless of course he is referring to a floor entrance to a cellar and not an actual door entrance to a room, similar to the one at Dendera, or he may be reffering to the one that is open to the sky and only seen from the roof.
I suspect that's the one he's waffling about. It could have been expressed a tad more clearly, but he thinks bit of circumlocution enhances his "I-know-something-you-don't" persona.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Just mentioning Abydos Is mystifying to me I'm kind of upset that the area no longer thrivez.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

"The Blind Room" is a chamber off the Osirian - the 4th dynasty sunken primordial tomb of Osiris situated directly behind the the 19th Dynasty Temple of Seti.
Although this chamber is now accessible, thanks to a 19th century vandal smashing through one of the niches located all around the perimeter of the Osirian, this room was built without any access. It is thought the Osirian was discovered by Seti's builders and incorporated into the Temple design - the fact that Seti's Temple is uniquely L shaped is a compelling argument for this. The chamber was decorated by Seti and has a fine representation of Nut on the ceiling. The room is in very poor condition and the art is hard to impossible to see clearly. (The decoration in the main portion of the Osirian, along with the 19th Dynasty added entrance corridor was done by Merneptah - successor to Ramesses ll who finished the decoration of Seti's Temple)
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that Kevin and welcome back :up your input is very much appreciated and I knew we could rely on you for this sort of information. :)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Kevininabydos wrote:"The Blind Room" is a chamber off the Osirian - the 4th dynasty sunken primordial tomb of Osiris situated directly behind the the 19th Dynasty Temple of Seti.
Although this chamber is now accessible, thanks to a 19th century vandal smashing through one of the niches located all around the perimeter of the Osirian, this room was built without any access. It is thought the Osirian was discovered by Seti's builders and incorporated into the Temple design - the fact that Seti's Temple is uniquely L shaped is a compelling argument for this. The chamber was decorated by Seti and has a fine representation of Nut on the ceiling. The room is in very poor condition and the art is hard to impossible to see clearly. (The decoration in the main portion of the Osirian, along with the 19th Dynasty added entrance corridor was done by Merneptah - successor to Ramesses ll who finished the decoration of Seti's Temple)
This is puzzling me Kevin, as other descriptions I've read talk about the room being open to the sky. Some of the ceiling remains?

I came across this while digging....not particularly to do with hidden chambers but some beautiful images of the Chapels of Osiris

http://www.osirisnet.net/monument/templ ... _sethy.htm
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:I do so agree Horus, not all of us are as well informed as you A Four and not being sarcastic. Explain in easily understood language what you mean please. I am genuinely interested. :up
I do know that you and Yildez have a keen interest in the sites around Upper Egypt, and when in the past I have written down on here some of my knowledge, I have always made a point of answering where possible your questions.

There is something that needs to be understood, when I have written about 'secret places' it's not because I want to deny either you or Yildez to visit them, or anyone else for that matter. For example the so called 'Blind Room' at Abydos is not easy to gain access to, and requires a bit of a climb. The inspector and his staff are not only there to collect your tickets, your safety is paramount, If either of you had an accident, they are ultimately responsible.

When I have visited Kevin-in-Abydos in the past, I have been to a number of so called 'secret sites' but never has he accompanied me to such places. The reason for this, is that ALL tourist can ONLY be allowed in certain areas, being alone, I acted the 'fool', and often got 'lost'. If Kevin had been with me, being a resident in Abydos, he would have been in very serious trouble with the authorities.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I acted the 'fool', and often got 'lost'.
:lol: :lol: I think we have all done that at some time or another A4 ;)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Kevininabydos wrote:"The Blind Room" is a chamber off the Osirian - the 4th dynasty sunken primordial tomb of Osiris situated directly behind the the 19th Dynasty Temple of Seti.

Kevin, thank you so much for your time and assistance here. As you may notice I did leave a quick wiki reference - Abydos blind room .............where there is information, plus a one minute video.

I wanted to try and give Frater an improved understanding, and an introduction to the rather complex history, ritual,etc of Abydos, but as you can see this failed at the first hurdle.

I know, I know,.........I can see you now raising your eyes to the ceiling. :wi :wi :wi .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I know, I know,.........I can see you now raising your eyes to the ceiling
And why would that be A4?
Kevin stepped in and gave a very succinct explanation, rather than a 'round the houses' mystery tour.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:
I know, I know,.........I can see you now raising your eyes to the ceiling
And why would that be A4?
Kevin stepped in and gave a very succinct explanation, rather than a 'round the houses' mystery tour.
Well, remember initially I wanted to set out things for Frater to understand in stages, and hopefully then to progress. How was I to know he had hidden his spaceship around the corner.. :wi .
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Sorry i had to cut off mid-narrative as I had to go out.

The slaughter house/room is located to the very far left of the Temple complex and is often restricted access.

There is a second "secret" room in the main Temple, this is often referred to in some publications as "The treasury".

This is located behind the 3 chapels dedicated to the Abydos Triad (Osris, Isis, Horus) off the Osiris court at the back of the temple and can only be accessed via the roof at the back corner of the Temple - no longer allowed.
This room is again a sealed room with no windows or doors and is two floors deep with a well like hole connecting the floors. There is a central pillar of vast proportions extending through both levels- I have always felt this to be part of the original 4th Dynasty complex that was already on the site and just incorporated into Seti's Temple by the builders because this pillar is SO not 19th Dynasty! The ceilings are very low, only being about 2 meters from memory - I have seen documentation that Temple goods were found insitu here but have never been able to find what happened to them. Unfortunately this secret room is no longer safe due to the Temple having moved considerably over time and this corner has dangerously sunk and is unstable.

This is not the room Omm Seti supposedly fell into whilst exploring the Temple and was lost for some time trying to escape and was reportedly found exhausted and covered in dirt and mud, this room or passageway was never found again.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
LuxorFan

Post by LuxorFan »

Here are some pictures of the blind rooms from Abydos: Holy City of Ancient Egypt by Omm Sety and Hanny el Zeini.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to upload the photos. I'll try posting them on the Facebook page.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks again Kevin that will have been quite enlightening for many people reading your post and of course as 'the man on the spot' for many years you can give us some good insight into this fascinating place. :up

@ Luxor Fan, can you not provide the source for your images and I will try to upload them for you? not everyone will see them on Facebook. :)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The following are images of the Blind Room at Abydos and I am posting them on behalf of Luxorfan who has kindly sent them to me and he added the following comment:

"Attached are four jpg images. Two are of the upper and lower "Blind Rooms" in the Temple of Seti I at Abydos. One is an overhead diagram of the temple with the names of the rooms. I added red arrows pointing out the location of the blind rooms. The other picture is of the cover of the book written by Omm Sety and Hanny el Zeini that the images came from".

So thanks again to Luxorfan for taking the time to scan the images and sending them in to be viewed by the members. (please click on images to enlarge)

Upper Blind Room

Lower Blind Room

Overhead Diagram with arrows indicating the rooms location

Book Cover

All images are of course credited to their owners and reproduced here for educational purposes under Creative Commons.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting photos...

I know very little about Egyptology but how did Blind Room get its name? Was it historically named? Or did those discovering it name it this cause of location?

And - are rooms generally named?