The Yacoubian Building

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

New Gal

The Yacoubian Building

Post by New Gal »

Just started reading this and I love it!!!

Heard that theres a film adaptation, anyone got any ideas where I can get a copy?

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

Not sure where you can get a copy of the DVD but isn't it a great book. Try reading Adhaf Soueif's Eye of the Sun as well. Or the Map of Love both are excellent social histories
Jane Akshar - mad about egyptology -sane otherwise ....... I think
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Thanks Jane, off to the library YAY!!
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
drwho

Post by drwho »

I bought my copy in Virgin Cairo but I'm sure you could get it off the internet, Alaa Al Aswany has been in Blighty promoting his new book Friendly fire...8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I'm just reading The Yacoubian Building for the second time in a relatively short period. I didn't know it at the time but my Reading Group had selected this book as one of the ones to read this year, so having read it once I wasn't sure if I'd want to re-read it again so soon. I am however finding that I am reading it rather that just skimming though to familiarise myself with the characters. My original feelings about the book I think still hold, although this time round perhaps I am getting to 'know' the characters a bit better. It's written in a way that makes me feel that I'm peeping through a key hole in a 'what the butler saw' manner. It will be very interesting to hear what the rest of my group have to say about it. [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Eye of the Sun has been made into a movie. I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the Australian Arab Film Festival. Also saw Cairo Station. Loved them both.
Carpe diem! :le:
Luxor87

Post by Luxor87 »

A novel submitted after that As a movie performance by adel emam and yosser and into a TV series. ammmm such a great movie
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

I have just finished this book (in norwegian) and I really loved it. Specially that it was soooo realistic. I will recommend it to anyone.
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

MK so glad you enjoyed it, I have a copy but haven't got round to reading it yet as we saw the film of it here a couple of weeks ago in our film night :D
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

I saw they have the film here in the DVD rental shop but wanted to finish the book first :) Hope the movie is equally great :D
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The film was shown at the West Bank Odeon a few weeks ago - have to admit it was nowhere near as good as the book - but that was possibly because of the subtitling. It seemed more episodic, and events seemed to happen out of sequence. The problem with subtitles, in my opinion, is that you tend to spend more time reading them than following the film!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

When I read the book I wondered if it might be banned in Egypt as it points its finger at many major social problems in Egypt, but I now understand it is not :)
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Looking forward to seeing this movie tomorrow night.
Carpe diem! :le:
drwho

Post by drwho »

quote:I wondered if it might be banned in Egypt
It was for 5 years that's when my pal said 'you should read this, then it took off, if they hadn't banned it nobody would have given it a 'second glance. Dont-ya just love the forces of 'law & order very cheap publicity. Just bought Chicago by him from Mr Aboudi and am starting after I finish SAS geezers 'slotting everybody, everywhere...8)