The Pharaoh's Shadow - Anthony Sattin

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The Pharaoh's Shadow - Anthony Sattin

Post by newcastle »

I must thank Yildez for recommending this book, which recently reached my Kindle and gave me two days of enjoyable reading.

It's well researched. easy to read, and apart from the author's search for the continuance - in one form or another - of ancient Egyptian customs and beliefs, it gives an interesting reflection of life in Egypt as the 20th century ended. I'd forgotten the near- hysterical atmosphere post the Hatshepsut massacre and the deep suspicion of foreigners generally in a time of heightened security.

It was interesting to read how the islamification of Egypt since the 1970's had suppressed the more exotic customs carried over from millennia ago...particularly spells and magic generally. As the author notes, few people now even remember when the Nile used to flood regularly let alone how earlier generations, particularly in rural Egypt. related to the "supernatural".

Which may explain the young reviewer in Al Ahram Weekly at the time of publication (2000?) dismissing the book as "of little interest".

On the contrary...I found it fascinating.

Anthony Sattin's other publication "Lifting the Veil" does not appear to be available on Kindle but I intend to obtain a copy as soon as I can access a decent bookshop. It appears equally fascinating from what little I've gleaned from reviews.

I did come across this interesting article on Sattin in the same Al Ahram Weekly issue that was so dismissive of The Pharaoh's Shadow :

"Unlike the hundreds of self-styled writers whose first literary trials are often hastily hailed as (short-lived) masterpieces, Sattin is a professional writer whose academic record is impeccable and whose full-time job is composing, editing and reviewing books (the latter for the Sunday Times)."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/Archive/2000/485/profile.htm

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: The Pharaoh's Shadow - Anthony Sattin

Post by Yildez »

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Newcastle. I've read it a couple of times over the years, but am re-reading it at the moment and finding it as fascinating as before. I remember being in Medinet Habu with an extremely good guide I use now and then, maybe Carrie was there? Anyway, along with other things he mentioned that local women who have difficulty in conceiving apparently still go there to the site of the ancient sacred lake - this was maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Anthony Sattin has written a range of books, including one about Florence Nightingales travels along the Nile. I haven't read "Lifting the Veil" sadly, and like Newcastle have been unable to find an e version.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I've just ordered a hardcopy of 'Lifting the Veil' from UK via Ebay. Can't wait to read it.
Carpe diem! :le:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Just finished this. A great read. The chapter on Luxor particularly interesting. :)
Carpe diem! :le: