Channel 5 - The Nile with Historian Bettany Hughes

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Channel 5 - The Nile with Historian Bettany Hughes

Post by crewmeal »

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Channel 5 - The Nile with Historian Bettany Hughes

Post by newcastle »

Not bad....although not as “novel” as I’d hoped.

Slightly envious of being able to cruise the Nile in a dahabiya all to oneself!

Served her right that she got stuck on a sandbank. I expect the guy steering was distracted by her cleavage! :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 am Not bad....although not as “novel” as I’d hoped.

Served her right that she got stuck on a sandbank. I expect the guy steering was distracted by her cleavage! :lol:
As was I :oops: but I did feel a bit sorry for that little donkey on the way to Saqqara though and quite looking forward to seeing her on that motorbike next week. ;) On a more serious note she was obviously excited to be visiting all those places even though she had been to Egypt many times. The mummy of Thuya was an interesting part of the programme with a rare viewing of the very well preserved face, it was nice to see the two ladies Bettany and the charming Salima Ikram enthusing about the beauty of this ancient great grandmother of king Tut.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:26 am
newcastle wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 am Not bad....although not as “novel” as I’d hoped.

As was I :oops: but I did feel a bit sorry for that little donkey on the way to Saqqara though and quite looking forward to seeing her on that motorbike next week. ;) On a more serious note she was obviously excited to be visiting all those places even though she had been to Egypt many times. The mummy of Thuya was an interesting part of the programme with a rare viewing of the very well preserved face, it was nice to see the two ladies Bettany and the charming Salima Ikram enthusing about the beauty of this ancient great grandmother of king Tut.
....and no sign of “you know who”. Is he sick?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Yes my heart sank as she hurried toward the top floor of the museum and said "I am here to meet someone very special, a very famous Egyptologist" luckily I saw it was Salima before I had managed to grab the TV remote. :lol:
Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

She knows Egypt. She knows what showing cleavage does to Egyptian male. She knows it does not take much to get an Egyptian to erect his Obelisk.

She did a follow up 'Treasures if Ancient Egypt.' Which started with her going through the Luxor Souk. I watched to see if the tourist Souk had any tourists. I spotted an Asian woman. Everyone else appeared to be Egyptian.

Going back to the programme, I thought the Mummified cat was weird. Why that unfortunate position. It'll awaken into the afterlife feeling like it is in knots, like it tried a position in the Kitty Karma Sutra but couldn't get out of it.
Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

Jammy getting a Holiday disguised as work.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Adamantium wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 pm Jammy getting a Holiday disguised as work.
I have to agree with you, I watched part of this series, and part of the recent program about her top ten sites by Bettany Hughes, wonderfully filmed in high def, so obviously being sold throughout the world.

We should also realise Egypt is pushing very hard on the drive to encourage world tourists, we can see quite clearly that most of the sites visited by Mss Hughes were empty of visitors, to give the impression there are no tourists at these sites, when we on here know full well their is a more special reason behind the scenes. I do admit though what I saw of the program of the ten sites was very good, and Mss Hughes is a natural, and more pleasing on the eyes than Mss Joann Fletcher.

Recently, both the Red and Bent Pyramids have been reopened, having been closed for almost fifty years. To celibate this a whole group of foreign ambassadors including Sir Geoffrey Adams were bussed down to the site for a group photograph in front of one such pyramid, all in hope that such a gathering would be reported throughout the world,........unfortunately not so.

The current Tutankhamoun Exhibition is now doing its final part of the tour of China, which will close in time for the opening of the new Giza museum expected to be in 2020.