Egypt's Final presidential election results

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt's Final presidential election results

Post by DJKeefy »

According to final vote count, the Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi is set to face Mubarak-era minister Ahmed Shafiq in runoff vote slated for 16/17 June

FINAL results in all 27 governorates aggregated by Ahram Online shows that with about 43.4 per cent turnout, the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate Mohamed Mursi kept the first place, followed by Ahmed Shafiq, Mubarak's last prime minister, while the Nasserist candidate, Hamdeen Sabbahi, stayed in the third rank.

1. Mursi 5,553,097 (25.30 per cent)
2. Shafiq 5,210,978 (23.74 per cent)
3. Sabbahi 4,739,983 (21.60 per cent)
4. Abul-Fotouh 3,936,264 (17.93 per cent)
5. Moussa 2,407,837 (10.97 per cent)

Table showing results of all 27 governorates.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/42755.aspx

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Egypt's Final presidential election results

Post by Who2 »

Is it true that only 43% of electorates turned out to vote ?
If so, then they get the Government they justly deserve...How many deaths during the revolution ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Gordon292

Post by Gordon292 »

Many thanks for Who2s comment as those were my exact thoughts about this election.
The Egyptians have a revolution were many were killed and yet when for the first time in history they get the chance to vote, only 43% of 50 million choose to vote well they do deserve the government that is finally voted in.
Pathetic is too weak a word to use in my humble opinion.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Could it also be that there was no option on the ballot paper for "None of the Above"?

I also see a great difference in turnout between the large cities, such as Cairo and Alexandria, and the rural areas of upper Egypt - the further south you go, the lower the turnout. Compare Cairo with 53% and Luxor with 29 %.

"Voter turnout in Port Said was the highest at 60 percent, followed by Alexandria with 54 percent. Turnout in Cairo, Damietta and Suez was 53 percent. The Delta had a high turnout with 49 percent voting in Monufiya, 48 percent in Sharqiya. In Daqahliya and Gharbiya, turnout was 45 percent. In Beni Suef, south of Cairo, it was 43 percent. In Kafr al-Sheikh turnout was 42 percent and in Beheira it was 41 percent. Upper Egypt had a lower turnout with 39 percent voting in Fayoum, 35 percent in Assiut, 33 percent in Sohag, 30 percent in Aswan and 29 percent in Luxor. Qena witnessed the lowest turnout, at 25 percent"

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/up ... fiq-second
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My husband couldn't decide who to vote for, so didn't, as he didn't want to help anyone he didn't trust. Seems to me, Egyptian voters were between a rock and a hard place pre-elction, and now even more so. I'm glad it wasn't me who had to decide.
Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Taxes have been collected and paid for thousands of years, do you know anyone in Egypt who pays taxes ? I don't.
So until that starts everything the West has, will never be implemented here.
Democracy ? they think it's something to do with Hollywood, fast cars, fast women and coca-cola.
If the lazy b****** are to thick or to lazy to vote then you can go 'whistle dixie until you are blue in the face...Me, I'm becoming a Muslim, if the going gets tough, but I doubt that will happen.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Lewroll

Post by Lewroll »

Could it be that Egyptians working away from home (like Luxor) were unable to vote unless they were actually at home come voting day? Just a thought as to why turnout could be so low in some areas.
Robert Send

Post by Robert Send »

For once Doctor you have hit it on the head, and your comments are true. Taxation needs to be implemented, Property tax needs to be implimented, (That will settle a few debts and stop illegal buildings), and should be done on floor area. The Police can be self supporting by doing their job correctly and fines and things can be used to support their wages, uniforms a proper criminal data list, computers etc.

Property valuation tax could be used for Education purposes, medical care and alike. a basic income tax would help also. just imagine how much would go into the coffers if 1le was put on benzine and diesel, (On saying that, if you can get it???) Tax on rentals would also bring in much needed money.

A proper and reliable internet would also help in the modernisation, the one you have at the moment is a disgrace compered to other countries and the providers need to get their fingers out and modernise their equipment instaed of making idle promises.

I have a big thing about dual pricing in Egypt, its a disgrace, and should be banned, any person doing this should be heavily fined and/or imprisoned.

There youn are thats my thoughts now i await you all to tear them apart, but when you do lets hear your solution.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Firstly, in reply to Robert, most legitimate businesses have to be registered for tax. The fact that many local people don't pay tax could be due to the tax allowances - No tax payable on first 5000EGP of income, 10% from 5001-20000EGP as well as massive tax avoidance. Property is taxable, and many people I know receive annual assessments. OK, in the chaos following the revolution, much of the tax collection may have been suspended. For details of Egyptian tax rates, take a look at http://www.pkf.com/media/387041/pkf%20e ... 202011.pdf

We moan about the internet on this forum, but in reality, for a third world country the fact that we can get ADSL, Mobile internet etc is extremely good compared with other such countries.

Like you, I dislike the idea of dual pricing, but in some respects it is fairer than overcharging everyone at tourist attractions such as happens in Britain. In a relatively low-income country like Egypt, I don't have a problem with the main tourist attractions being available to Egyptians at between 2 and 5% of what we as foreigners pay . That isn't to say I agree with restaurants and some shops having two sets of prices though!
Stan
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

WI's husband's excuse for not voting seems a pretty lame one to me! Surely there are people that he DIDN'T want to vote for, which must narrow down the field considerably? With the vast majority of voting systems and styles, it seems to me that most people vote for the candidate who is likely to cause the least damage, that is certainly the reasoning among my neighbours.

One intends to vote for Mursi, because Shafiq is 'mafia', while his BIL will vote for Shafiq because (even though he voted for the Brotherhood in the parliamentary elections) he feels that the non-Muslim Egyptians are less likely to to be treated equally, or even fairly, under a wholly Brotherhood government.

In my opinion, voting is a very important responsibility, and it should be compulsory for eligible people to mark their voting paper, even if it is to spoil it. Otherwise country after country will end up with unrepresentative governments acting against the wishes or best interests of the majority of their constituent. Just look at Europe, for heaven's sake!
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Regarding dual pricing: perhaps Mr Send should be lobbying the UK government regarding this? After all; if a person wishes to attend, more or less, any specific attraction or function in the UK (air show, pop festival, amusement park, railway station, museum; the list goes on ad infinitum) then they will be massively overcharged for drinks or snacks when compared to the same items at 'normal' outlets on the outside. What's the difference, Mr Send? The consumer has exactly the same choice in both circumstances; pay up or do without!
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Teddyboy wrote: In my opinion, voting is a very important responsibility, and it should be compulsory for eligible people to mark their voting paper, even if it is to spoil it. Otherwise country after country will end up with unrepresentative governments acting against the wishes or best interests of the majority of their constituent. Just look at Europe, for heaven's sake!

:br:

Couldn't agree more TB. Well said.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Who2 wrote:Taxes have been collected and paid for thousands of years, do you know anyone in Egypt who pays taxes ? I don't.
So until that starts everything the West has, will never be implemented here.
Democracy ? they think it's something to do with Hollywood, fast cars, fast women and coca-cola.
If the lazy b****** are to thick or to lazy to vote then you can go 'whistle dixie until you are blue in the face...Me, I'm becoming a Muslim, if the going gets tough, but I doubt that will happen.....:cool:
My husband is neither thick nor lazy. He has agonised for months over this, watching everything on TV, reading the papers and listening to local discussions to try to choose a worthy candidate. Your comment is uncalled for and indicative of the age you nominate in your profile.
Carpe diem! :le:
Robert Send

Post by Robert Send »

Not many Air Shows or Concerts in Luxor to enable people to put their prices up in a hyper way is there? just cheats and thieves everyday going about their business.

If you want to talk about the dual pricing system I can confirm that 95% of British and Dutch Shops have their produce label priced, can that be said about Egypt or Luxor?

Take a look at property and land prices, 4 months ago a German Lady went to buy land from a man in Dubya, this was Nileside land, he asked 200,000le per kirat. But only the week before her local husband had been offered the land at 85,000le per kirat, OK the seller was stiched up, but it exposes the cheats!! And I think many people are taking this line now. Anyway we will have to see, because according to locals, in June when the New President is elected the tourists will flock back. I really do not know how because German and Belgium flights to Luxor all stop soon, they are only flying to the Red Sea Resorts.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Just because there is a price on the item doesn't mean that that is the price everyone pays - ok no one, unless they are stupid, would pay more than the marked price but there are plenty who manage to pay less. And as for 95% of the shops in the UK having marked prices well that may be the case in the High Street but drops dramatically when you go to the 'ethnic' areas of say Luton. Why do people bother getting quotes for double glazing, central heating etc in the perfect world known as the UK if everyone is so honest about their pricing.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Robert, by your last post, it's fairly obvious that you consider companies like MacDonalds, Coca-Cola and other sponsors of the Olympics, thieves and cheats! On that count I totally agree with you, and the scale of their thievery and cheating definitely overwhelms the small scale affairs that you write of here.
Stan