Stay Safe: Street Crime

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Stay Safe: Street Crime

Post by DJKeefy »

The security situation in Egypt is less than desirable to say the least, we hear of kidnapping, carjacking and robbery day in day out, and it keeps hitting closer to home.

So until we have a president in place who will, we really hope, re-instill security in our streets, we need to be as cautious and safe as we can — without it turning into an obsession, of course.

STREET CRIME:
Street crime ranges from a simple snatch and run to weapon assaults. Even the simplest of street crimes can lead to serious injuries, if you hold on to your bag as a snatcher on a motorcycle grabs it, it might lead to a serious injury. But you can prevent being an easy target and educate yourself on how to behave should you fall victim to a street crime.

There are hard and soft targets, a hard target is less likely to fall victim to a crime than a soft one. Although every situation requires different actions, there are general things you can do to prevent falling victim. Things like attitude, location, posture, how you carry your bag and even how you walk can make all the difference.

General Prevention:

Don’t send victim signals of insecure behavior that will encourage your attackers or portray vulnerability.

Walk upright and fast with a sense of purpose, even if you have no particular place to go

Avoid dark corners and streets as well as walking or taking short cuts in gardens and parks at night.

Do not ask by-passers for directions if you have to, instead, ask a policeman, kiosk or a restaurant. Do not let anyone lead you to your destination — you will often get that offer in Egypt — just thank them and ask someone else.

Keep some form of photographic ID at all times preferably with the blood type indicated

Always walk on the sidewalk and not the street, even if you’re on a side street with very light traffic. It is much easier for an attacker in a vehicle to attack you if you’re on the street than it is if you’re on the sidewalk.

If someone is walking behind you and they look suspicious cross to the other side of the street

When in doubt, use whatever means necessary to draw attention to yourself. “It is better to suffer the embarrassment of being wrong than to fail to take action if you feel threatened,”

If you are travelling to a hotspot for street crime you should:

Hold your business meetings in your hotel

Dress down and avoid jewelry and expensive watches and bags

Do not hold cameras that will immediately flag you as a tourist or not paying enough attention

Restrict your travel to the safer sides of the city

Keep a photocopy of your passport on you and leave your actual passport in the hotel’s safe deposit.

Have sufficient money on you but not too much and no credit cards if you don’t need them.

Keep your money and any important document in a bag under your clothes, such as small fenny packs or small bags you carry around your neck.

Theft and pickpockets:

Thieves and pickpockets mostly take advantage of distracted victims or those whose belongings aren’t always in their full sight. Simple measures can prevent theft of important documents or belongings and are easy to follow and make a habit.

Avoid carrying a bag, but if you have to, carry your handbag always away from the street side and don’t sling the handles across your body or you might get hurt if someone snatches it. Snatching on motorcycles have become widespread and in most cases the attacker will manage to get the bag anyway but victims are often left suffering from serious injuries if they hold on to the bag or have it across their bodies.

Keep your backpack in front of you in public transports, crowded areas or if you’re standing — even for just a few seconds to watch a window display, it might be just the time pickpockets need.

Always watch for people brushing against you in crowds as it is a technique used by pickpockets, especially in airport and stations.

Often thieves operate in teams, where one diverts your attention as the other steals your belongings. One scam is for someone to sprint dust on your jacket, point the mess and help you dust if off while his accomplice steals your belongings.

Always put your documents, wallet and cellphone in a front pocket or under your clothes and not in a bag.

Source: http://egypttoday.com/news/display/arti ... :1/catId:2

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Stay Safe: Street Crime

Post by Who2 »

Same old chestnut, How about relocating to Switzerland or the Outer Hebrides, or even buy a gun...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Cause some people like it here Who2...

Nothing wrong in a few tips to try keep safe is there ?
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Better be safe than sorry! :)

Me I think I'll stick with the orkneys :))
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Avoid carrying a bag, but if you have to, carry your handbag always away from the street side and don’t sling the handles across your body or you might get hurt if someone snatches it.
That's an interesting one as so often the advice is to wear a a bag strap across the body!

Edited to add: Good grief ... I got something through to L4U!
Robert Send

Post by Robert Send »

Good tips, but how do you fight back? surely if someone grabs you or assault you its natural instinct to have a go back. Do you know if these muggers and people carrying weapons or not? or is it oppotunist thefts and assaults, would it be worth ladies carrying a personal alarm like they do in Europe or would it not be recognised? I must admit I would never go out in Luxor alone at night.
I said in an earlier post that a lady should carry a pepper spray, one blast and it would deter them. Cheaper would be Chilli powder in a puff type plastic bottle. If ladies are made aware of what is going on they can pre arm themselves in case.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"I must admit I would never go out in Luxor alone at night."

That's strange, we try not to go out until it IS night, as it's getting to be too hot during the day!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Teddyboy wrote:"I must admit I would never go out in Luxor alone at night."

That's strange, we try not to go out until it IS night, as it's getting to be too hot during the day!
I love it Teddyboy :D So now its summer unsociable hours must be in the daytime only :lol:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Got it in one, Mr K!
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

But that's just it TB!Too hot during the day,so no-one's going out until night-time!
There used to be safety in numbers going out at night because there were more tourists about!
What's situation now?
Was last in Luxor October 2011,tourists thin on ground and nightlife non-existant.Was also there April 2011,stayed in New Pola.Hellish experience!Chef didn't come in til 2pm,so survived on lunchtime sandwiches from Arkwrights.
Do you really think that's what tourists want?No lights in hotel,so fumbled about in dimness trying to find lifts,room,etc.
Sorry,but Luxor can no longer compete.
History?Culture?Tourists want more!We want a "holiday!"
There's abundance of history and culture in other countries...and a warn welcome and respect for us.
Luxor has become too complacent and has rested on it's laurels for far too long.It's paying price now and will do for a long time to come.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

To be rather blunt ST, what do you expect if you stay somewhere like the New Pola?

I'm also sorry to say it, but unless tourists come here for either the antiquities or the culture, they are in the wrong place. Unless they plan to stay within the confines of their hotel or boat, that is.

Luxor isn't, never has been, and never will be simply 'a holiday destination', full stop! I really believe that most people who are dissatisfied with Luxor (either as it is, or as it has been) are those who have come for the wrong reasons.

I've been acutely embarrassed to see 'holidaymakers' from Britain lying about the souk, drinking beer out of cans and bottles, and of course wearing their football strips; given the opportunity, I'd not allow them out of the airport!

You ask: "What's situation now?" Quite frankly, it seems to me to be just about the same as ever, apart from the lack of foreign visitors! However, if you're seen as not being 'respectable' by the locals, then I suppose things might be very different. So many visitors (and foreign residents) just don't latch onto the Egyptian view of respectability, or how important it can be in our dealings with local people. It's THEIR idea of respectability which determines how they interact with us, NOT ours.

You say that Luxor cannot compete.You're wrong there, I'm afraid. Luxor doesn't compete, because it is incomparable, it stands alone! Nowhere can compete against Luxor.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

But isn't that a rather snobbish and colonialist attitude TB?
Are you saying that Luxor only wants tourists coming for cultural experience?
If that's the case,then why have I enjoyed the sunshine and never succumbed to Orfi marriage?It ain't for lack of offers,believe me!
I reckon that frequent and first time visitors now are couples (who don't know what they're letting themselves in for!)or Orfi wives who are returning for conjugal visits!
Tourists look at websites and they are getting false representation from them.Stayed in New Pola about 5 years ago,was excellent!But nothing gets updated and companies are still taking the money without giving the true facts.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"But isn't that a rather snobbish and colonialist attitude TB?"

I'm sure there are those who will agree with that sentiment ST, but I'm bound to say "No", aren't I? I'm just reporting my experience, and what I see every day of foreigners and Egyptians misunderstanding each others ways and intentions!

I'm certainly not saying that Luxor only wants visitors to come for cultural experiences. In fact, I know that many people involved in the tourist industry want anyone and everyone to come, the drunkards, the old sex tourists, the bright red families who didn't think it would be so hot! They all spend money, so they are all welcome (to a certain extent).

No, I'm talking about people coming here and enjoying themselves, and feeling safe and secure! It's no good people spending their 'hard earned' on a holiday which they then hate, is it? I just wish that prospective visitors would do a bit of simple homework before they book, then they'd have some sort of idea what to expect. It's not rocket science!
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

I also can't understand the accusation of colonialism made by ST.

Tourists all over the world complain that the promise doesn't live up to the reality. The English more than most. If you believe the advertisements or pretty web site then you need your head read - would you believe an advertisement in any other situation?

If you don't research where you are going the risks of being disappointed will be high. For example would you spend 20 or 50 pounds to go to a film or play without reading a review or listening to a friend's recommendation?

Egypt is a third world country with all the problems that go with that - however fouling of the streets is not unique to Egypt as a Friday or Saturday evening in London will show - public drunkenness, urinating in the street, random violence and more recently the riots and looting (not the first nor likely to be the last). The persistent beggars and sleeping rough in the streets of central London are also a distinctive feature and England is meant to be a first world country and should be judged by higher standards than Egypt. I don't need to go on and describe the sad state of other cities in the UK. But I digress.

Egypt is a third world country with unique ancient and medieval monuments just like India, China, Istanbul, Iran, Indonesia (not Bali) and parts of South America. The only exception seems to be Rome. My point is that if you want to see any of these things you need to run the gauntlet of being in the third world. Egypt is not alone. If you want personal security, fine food and creature comforts then you have come to the wrong place and probably didn't do your research in the first place (a quick visit to TripAdvisor is usually all you need to do). Maybe the Red Sea would be a better fit - package tours, large locked hotel compounds, European food, sand, no horse dung, thousands of other like minded Europeans (although a lot of Russians), European tour leaders/reps., meat pies, fish and chips, beer, fine wines and a deal of endemic loutish behavior.

What happened to the view that tourism can be an adventure - to learn about another culture (with all of its problems and which culture doesn't have its problems) sample the food, observe the different behaviors. Surely travel is about leaving 'home' behind rather than carrying it with you on your shoulders - although some nationalities seem to want to bring 'home' with them.

Any reading of the press for the past 16 months (even the Mail!) would convince even the deaf that Egypt is, at the moment, one of the least stable countries in the world. The Foreign Office warnings should tell you something. If you are surprised that Luxor and Egypt are insecure at the moment then Egypt is not wholly to blame. Responsibility for getting what you want usually lies with the buyer.

Why is it that carping on this topic and other similar ones over many years seems to come predominantly from the British?. The complaint in most cases seems to be that Egypt is not 'Little Britain' (and thank God it isn't - it is itself).
Robert Send

Post by Robert Send »

ST you will never get anyone who lives in Luxor to agree with you when it comes to complaining or pulling a place to bits, for filth, lack of updating etc. So its not worth trying. What you have to remember is that many have gone to Luxor and find they cannot get home.

Those that can get back home borrow the money from family and friends.

People that live in a place be it Luxor, London, Rome or anywhere in the world will always get their hackles up when you make a complaint about where they live.

Imagine walking down the Strand in London and wading through Horse Crap and Urine, would you be happy, of course not! and beside that the Council would have got it cleaned up. The Queens Jubilee showed Sawdust all over the place to soak up the horses waste so it did not imprgnate the streets. People would not stand for it! here they satnd for it and let it get worse. I don't know if you have been to villages on the West Bank or not, where rubbish and waste get thrown in the rivers and Canals, and they have to be dredged every year, you get dead sheep, cows bullocks floating down them. Why do people not accept it in their own country and accept it if they live in Luxor. Filth, is not a part of the British way of life, but you never hear the Brits in Luxor complaining.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Robert Send wrote:ST you will never get anyone who lives in Luxor to agree with you when it comes to complaining or pulling a place to bits, for filth, lack of updating etc. So its not worth trying. What you have to remember is that many have gone to Luxor and find they cannot get home.

Those that can get back home borrow the money from family and friends.

People that live in a place be it Luxor, London, Rome or anywhere in the world will always get their hackles up when you make a complaint about where they live.

Imagine walking down the Strand in London and wading through Horse Crap and Urine, would you be happy, of course not! and beside that the Council would have got it cleaned up. The Queens Jubilee showed Sawdust all over the place to soak up the horses waste so it did not imprgnate the streets. People would not stand for it! here they satnd for it and let it get worse. I don't know if you have been to villages on the West Bank or not, where rubbish and waste get thrown in the rivers and Canals, and they have to be dredged every year, you get dead sheep, cows bullocks floating down them. Why do people not accept it in their own country and accept it if they live in Luxor. Filth, is not a part of the British way of life, but you never hear the Brits in Luxor complaining.
Wrong Wrong Wrong!!! Your are talking from your R-Send again... Ive posted many times complaining about things in Luxor if Its something worth complaining about.
People might agree with you if you were correct, but half of what you say is **** :roll:
for filth
Ive been to many villages and I can paint a different picture to what you paint (and that's not in the colour lemon) :roll: The villages ive visited along the canal have been clean, the people who live in their basic mud houses have respect for where they live, some even try to make small little gardens etc, Ive watched people pick up rubbish that has blown around their homes, and see them brush and water down their muds roads each day. I will post some pictures when I can to prove how clean it is.
lack of updating
For a country that is suffering at the moment I think they have done rather well... New traffic barriers at all the railroad crossings, new street light in many parts of Luxor, many old mud roads now with tarmac, maybe the gold coated road planned that will lead to Justens villa may take a little longer to make :roll:

What's all this crap about most of us cant get home???? (ive read this in a few posts by you now) you're sounding like Justen and Lynne (lets twist again) its so obvious that you are having a dig at someone, cause while ive ever lived here (10+ years) ive only heard about 2 people who have had difficulty getting back home.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

"Why do people not accept it in their own country and accept it if they live in Luxor. " - because we live here! We understand that there is a basic lack of infrastructure, like in many third world countries, and we realise that many Egyptians are doing their best to keep their areas clean, as Keefy has written above, but without a reliable refuse collection service, such things will happen.

Do you not also realise that many foreigners living in Britain find things there unacceptable, but accept them because they chose to live there?
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 »

No where is perfect, if you move somewhere like Luxor you have to except the good and bad, if you move to the UK you have to except the good and the bad, you make your home what it is. You can not expect people to change their culture in their country to suit you, you moved there so it is up to you to adapt.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote: Was last in Luxor October 2011,tourists thin on ground and nightlife non-existant.Was also there April 2011,stayed in New Pola.Hellish experience!Chef didn't come in til 2pm,so survived on lunchtime sandwiches from Arkwrights.
Do you really think that's what tourists want?No lights in hotel,so fumbled about in dimness trying to find lifts,room,etc.
Sorry,but Luxor can no longer compete.
Unfortunate choice of hotel but your 'Hellish' experience there would have little to do with post 28 Jan 2010 'revolution' and lack of tourists. It's normal there. Once you work out the corridor lights are on a timer switch thing (often used in buildings in the UK too for many years now) it's not so bad ...or at least getting around the upper floors isn't so bad. You would still need a torch to find the reception desk, or even your breakfast in the dining room, I grant you. (Been there, done that and no way was I paying a penny more to get the T.Shirt! :xx )
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley