A new role for the mesaharati

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

A new role for the mesaharati

Post by DJKeefy »

A mesaharati, traditionally a man, rouses people during the holy month of Ramadan by calling their names as he strolls through the streets, banging his drum.

He does this a couple of hours before dawn, so that people have time for their pre-sohour (dawn) meal during Ramadan.

But this year, there’s something new. Instead of waking people up with his traditional phrase, "Wake up sleepers, praise Allah," some mesaharatis will soon be saying instead, "Let's have a drug-free Ramadan”.

This initiative, launched by the Drug Control and Treatment of Addiction Fund (DCTAF), kicks off today.

The initiative will witness a DCTAF volunteer wearing a huge puppet costume representing a mesaharati, walking through streets talking to people and chanting the phrase, "Let's have a drug-free Ramadan.”

He will hand out leaflets, raising awareness of the dangers of addiction.

He and other volunteers will tour streets, shopping centres, clubs, youth centres and other places likely to be frequented by young people.

The initiative also targets children, organising games and small puppet theatre performances for them, to make it easy for them to understand the issue.

"Our aim is prevention. We want to raise the awareness of people of all ages of the dangers of addiction. Our new initiative will reach a lot of people.

“Every year, we have initiatives, but this year's is the best so far," says Ahmed Abbas, the organiser of the ‘Mesaharati’ initiative and the head of the DCTAF’s volunteering unit.

"We have also been to churches and mosques, asking the priests and sheikhs to warn of the dangers of addiction during their sermons," he adds.

The initiative is a result of some workshops held in the DCTAF volunteering unit, with young people aged between 15 and 30.

"We’ve been thinking hard about how to deliver our ideas. New, untraditional ways are the most effective.

"We have chosen the mesaharati, because he’s a lovely, modest folkloric character, very familiar to and much loved by people of all ages," he explains.

A recent study by the Egyptian Anti-Addiction Association reveals that around 6 million Egyptians are addicted, including about 2 million women, while the numbers keep on rising every year.

Another study by the Ministry of Health shows that around 8 million Egyptians have experimented with or been addicted to drugs at different stages of their lives.

The ministerial study says that 93.5 per cent of these people are addicted to hashish, 22 per cent to alcohol, 11.7 per cent to Tramadol and 7.2 per cent to heroin.

"We are well aware that more people are becoming addicts all the time. Our main focus is on the young, as they are the most vulnerable. By using new techniques, we are reaching them faster," Abbas explains.

The initiative will run during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Cairo, Alexandria and the Upper Egyptian cities of Qena and Sohag.

Source: http://213.158.162.45/~egyptian/index.p ... s&id=27052

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: A new role for the mesaharati

Post by Yildez »

Interesting, thanks Keefy. We have the drummer here in Turkey too, but it's slowly dying out in the western area of the country. In Datca, where I live, we haven't had a drummer for many years although the outlying villages still stick to tradition. Lots of people fast, but lots don't and there are still many Turks here on holiday enjoying the sea etc, where as I imagine that most people in Egypt are keeping Ramazan?

The contrasts between Turkey and Egypt are very interesting - both Islamic but hugely different.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Our drummer over here on the West Bank is still going strong. He's been patrolling the area of El Tod where I live for years, and his father did the job before him. He collects a bit of money from householders before Ramadan and then bangs his drum outside their homes (about 1.30am at the moment). I don't pay him, but I get "residual" drumming!
And I don't get up to prepare a meal, just roll over and go back to sleep. :zz

I wonder if it is a village tradition here, as Yildez says it is in Turkey. So, city dwellers across the river, does the practice flourish there?
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

It did when I lived in Awamia - my bedroom backed onto the sidestreet between two buildings, and he woke the faithful and the unfaithful alike! Not just a drum, but a trumpet as well.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan