Circles of Crops?

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Circles of Crops?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The recent thread about Crop Circles has reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask for a long time. When you fly to Luxor there are many circles visablle from the air. They would appear to be crops but the circular formations are so accurate. There are a lot of them in the area south of Alexandria in the area of El-Nabawy El-Mohandes, Al Buhayra and El-Tawheed Village off the Cairo-Alex Desert Road and Alex-Mersa Matruh Road. (Sorry, I don't know how to give the GoogleEarth co-ordinates.) Does anyone know what they are? Are they some special farming scheme or experimental crops? Circles just doesn't seem to be a normal effective farming method to me!

I'm sure I've seen some closer to Luxor too!

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Circles of Crops?

Post by FABlux »

They are crops irrigated by rotating systems, long arms coming out from a center point. They are in use in quite a few places

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_pivot_irrigation
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

There are many things deep in the desert that we are not and never will be privvy to....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks FABlux. I never thought of that but I can see the sense and logic (now you've pointed it out).
Now I've spotted other odd shapes in fields! I've not used GoogleEarth for ages...I could get hooked ! :roll:
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

the desert, it's very very big, no flies, no mosquitoes, not much of anything really, but when there is something, It in itself seems big very very big, due to the lack of anything else of significance, that's how one finds things in a 'plain of emptiness, that's why the unusual, the out of of place, the wrong rock formation becomes so obvious the desert is like a woman much to be found if one has the patience to explore it...deep...:cool:
PS: So, back to rock & roll, that in the 5O's meant '******** amongst our more colorful communities.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:the desert, it's very very big, no flies, no mosquitoes, not much of anything really, but when there is something, It in itself seems big very very big, due to the lack of anything else of significance, that's how one finds things in a 'plain of emptiness, that's why the unusual, the out of of place, the wrong rock formation becomes so obvious the desert is like a woman much to be found if one has the patience to explore it...deep...:cool:

Don't you believe that bit about no flies - you would be surprised where they suddenly appear from, but appear they do! Certainly from my experience of travelling around the Sahara for a few months last century - and I don't mean a couple of days 'Camel Safari' in Tunisia either! Yup, it most certianly is a big and empty place, but never think you are alone because people pop up in most unlikely of places!

As for your observation of the desert being like a women - how profound of you. The thing is not many men will get the opportunity to explore a desert, but many men get the opportunity to explore women - they just don't use it wisely or learn from it!
-Aldous Huxley