Egypt Army warning

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

TonyC

Egypt Army warning

Post by TonyC »

Egypt: Army warns it will not allow 'dark tunnel'

The army in Egypt has called for dialogue to resolve a crisis over President Mohammed Morsi's new powers, warning it will intervene to stop Egypt going into "a dark tunnel".

In its first statement since protests erupted, it vowed to protect public institutions and innocent people.

It came as protests continued outside the presidential palace in Cairo.

The opposition has rejected his call for talks, unless he gives up powers and halts a constitutional referendum. [...]

The army statement was read on Egyptian TV by a spokesman.

"The armed forces... realise their responsibility to preserve the higher interests of the country and to secure and protect vital targets, public institutions and the interests of innocent citizens," it said.

"The armed forces affirm that dialogue is the best and only way to reach consensus," it added.

"The opposite of that will bring us to a dark tunnel that will result in catastrophe and that is something we will not allow."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20651896

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/up ... -statement

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Egypt Army warning

Post by Teddyboy »

Is this what the protesters are hoping for; a return to power of the military (with all the Mubarakite possibilities). Are Mr Mubarak's old allies working behind the scenes, and fomenting trouble within the revolutionary groupings?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Teddyboy wrote:Is this what the protesters are hoping for; a return to power of the military
A "return" to power of the Military... Teddyboy ? ? ? :urm:

G.W Bush, barely one step up the evolutionary ladder from the Chimpanzee's at yet he was " Commander In Chief "
WHO runs the USA I wonder. :tk the same organisation that runs many countries...

Also, these American Military bases out in the Desert ???

Military bases are generally placed for the purpose of "Defense" .. Defence of what ???
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Analysis - Jon Leyne (BBC News, Cairo)

The statement from the Egyptian military immediately raised fears that it might be about to intervene and take power, just as it did after the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year.

Both the military and the ruling Muslim Brotherhood have been quick to insist that is not about to happen.

However, state media were already reporting that President Morsi was considering giving new powers to the military to help the police maintain order.

Some commentators believe military intervention is becoming increasingly likely, as President Morsi has proved such a divisive leader. Yet many Egyptians believe that last year's revolution was not just against Hosni Mubarak, it was against six decades of military rule, which began when the military took power in 1952.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"President Morsi has proved such a divisive leader."

That's a bit rich, the poor b****r hasn't had much of a chance has he? Voted in on a majority (or so I believe) but there's been opposition (by the organised, dissatisfied, minority) to everything he's tried to accomplish ever since. It wouldn't matter who was voted into power to these troublemakers; even if it was one of their own they will never allow the silent majority to live securely and get on with their lives!
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Morsi has given/will soon give new powers to the Military (not the police of Interior Ministry) to maintain order/try people before military courts. The powers will only operate until the constitution is passed and parliament re-elected. http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... rrest.aspx

Starting to sound a bit like using the old regime to preserve the new one.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Unusually for me, I have to make an apology..

It appears that I have offended many with this part of my post in this topic, and I do most humbly apologise for that.. :worry:

Bullet Magnet wrote: G.W Bush, barely one step up the evolutionary ladder from the Chimpanzee's at yet he was " Commander In Chief "

My Heartfelt apologies to ALL the Chimpanzee's :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

:))) :))) :)))
Carpe diem! :le: