Drug Addicts

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

dsaxelby

Drug Addicts

Post by dsaxelby »

I have read as recommended many posts, going back to 2007 in some cases but surprisingly I have not seen any posts relating to drug abuse on this site? As it is prevailant in Luxor as it is across the middle east particularily in young males this surprises me. Have I missed the post? or is it a taboo topic.

Before you ask no I am not an addict, yes I have known addicts and am aware of addicts in Luxor, this is a general question bit like 'mixed raced children topic ' it might be interesting :sd.

here goes :o

It is what it is.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Drug Addicts

Post by BENNU »

I remember reading about drug abuse among young Egyptian men some years back, but not as a topic itself. It could have been under Intercultural Relationships as warnings.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

In six years of living here, I haven't really come across much of this at all. Some people around the doors smoke a bit of hashish sometimes, and I was approached by a 'rubbish person' young bloke in the souk the other day, who was obviously spaced out. One affluent neighbour has lost quite a bit of weight over the past couple of years, which may or may not be an indication of drug abuse, although I have heard rumours. Apart from those instances I cannot recall any other.
But, perhaps I move in the wrong (right?) circles? (Or, dare I say, the wrong or right geographical area. Shhh!)
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My husband has always said bango and alcohol are freely available; harder drugs (not specified) less so, but still there if you have the readies, but I doubt many do these days.
Carpe diem! :le:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

The first year I was here, geographically East, I was surrounded by dr. Jekylls and mr Hydes, the explanation being chemicals. I believe I read on the forum once that a lot of it was easily available over the counter in this part of the world, and it explained a lot. What geographically happens in that department down here today, I am happy not to know.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Winged Isis wrote:My husband has always said bango and alcohol are freely available; harder drugs (not specified) less so, but still there if you have the readies, but I doubt many do these days.
I totally agree here with WI.

I remember some years ago now, I attended an evening party, quite some distance from Luxor, to celebrate the completion of my friends new rather large family home. I sat on the 'high table' with senior members of the extended family, while the young people sat or danced to music supplied by about eight musicians. I noticed that these musicians were being fed a constant supply of spliffs, and yes, the rhythm of the music improved greatly with each spliff.

When I put this to one of the elders sat next to me, who like myself were drinking coca cola he said, "I see little difference to this and the fact that you,A-Four, has just very, very discreetly poured a large scotch into your coca cola". I further noted that none of the elders smoked anything other than ordinary fags. The women folk, as usual, just looked on discussing amongst themselves the size of the next gold bracelet, they would force their husbands to buy for them, in view of the fact that they had enough money to buy bango.

With regards to tourist and ex-pats, I would like to warn that the authorities take a very dim view in any dealings in what they see as drugs, especially in the tourist areas of Egypt.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

A-Four wrote:With regards to tourist and ex-pats, I would like to warn that the authorities take a very dim view in any dealings in what they see as drugs, especially in the tourist areas of Egypt.
Good point! It would be madness to get involved; don't think your embassy would be able to get you off!

Weddings are a popular place to indulge, I remember being told.
Carpe diem! :le:
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Tis all around.
Cough mixture used to be a fairly local one. If you've ever had the misfortune to have a cough in Egypt, you'll know what I'm on about and why the majority of people have herbal cough mixtures instead. At one point years back - they limited the amount of cough mixture you could buy ....and at 3 le or whatever it was, there was a great many people on it.
Lots are addicted to tablets ....and the ease with which you can get them is probably the root of all this ...but there are certain things that CAN only be got with a prescription from a doctor.

There are rehab centres. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean you're not surrounded by it. I've never forgotten years back sitting in a little old ladies home in Luxor years back and watching her whip her little portable lady sized bango pipe out and the smell in the air.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It seems to be almost a necessity for the musicians at a wedding. I have a video of a friend's wedding and I asked how on earth the singer managed to sing non-stop for two and a half hours and was told 'Plenty of hashish!'
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

If you read the book Playing Cards in Cairo (a factual book) there is quite a bit on that about tablet taking prevalent among young women. But obviously this book is about Cairo, Not Luxor. Interesting book though!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

I have known hash to be available having been offered it ( I did decline) on a few occassions. In fact once when having shisha at a place that shall remain nameless I was told with a wink " a special one for you" being a bit slow on the uptake i wasnt sure what he meant until I had a puff :?
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous