BBC World News Report

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

BBC World News Report

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I have just watched a BBC World News Report on Egypt, telling of the loss of 20% farmland and land supporting food for the people, to the development of what they say housing. All this has taken place since the Revolution They report that do to Political Turmoil the people are building places to sell, more than 60% of which are illegal buildings in the knowledge they will not get prosecuted.

It went on to say that eventually food supplies will become short, due to this building and that food will have to be imported creating both high prices and inflation to a fragile economy.

I found this very enlightening, we all know what is going on, and we all know that nothing is being done to prevent a future catastrophe in the food supply. By the sounds of the report it both shed light on caution for people wanting to invest in the property market, but also on the future of the food chain for Egypt.

This is going to be a big problem for Egypt in the future and the Government of the day should address this problem sooner rather than later to prevent such a catastrophe.

But it then went on to interview the owner of Makar Farms that are developing new ways of food production, they are growing food stuffs in pipes that are constantly irrigated and use very little soil, however most of these food products are exported. but well done to Makar Farms for seeing the future and making a stance in the food production market.

In summing up, the BBC stated that the rape of farm land for building will eventually bite Egypt on the backside and stated that unless building control was taken into hand, the future of the food chain looked bleak.

An interesting report and how the lack of control in Egypt is reaching the rest of the World.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: BBC World News Report

Post by FABlux »

I know its a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of land being turned into housing but on the way across from Quseir yesterday we passed an area of new farming with signs up saying The World Food Development Farming Program or some such (we went past too fast) so at least some farming land is being gained.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: BBC World News Report

Post by Dusak »

I watched an interesting documentary on CCTV (Chines news channel) that was highlighting the reclamation of semi desert areas with a new sort of rice that was yielding very good crops with very little need to create flood planes. Perhaps this could work in certain areas of Egypt but will need high investment so perhaps not.