Egypt expects to collect $388.5mn in property tax revenues

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt expects to collect $388.5mn in property tax revenues

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt’s government expects to collect around LE2.7 billion (roughly $388.5 million) in revenues from property taxes imposed on 15 million units and that have been counted by the tax authority’s committees, reported the state-owned Arabic-language news website Al-Ahram.

Hassan Abbas, head of Egypt's Property Tax Authority, said that there are 17,000 constructed factories under assessment of the taxing committees to determine their cash commitment.

Property owners will receive a note from the tax authority in July informing them of the sum they are required to pay in property taxes, Abbas stated Wednesday.

He added that property owners would have 60 days in which to file an appeal if they believe the requested amount has been overestimated. The government must reply to all appeals within 30 days.

Recent amendments to a 2008 property law exempted single-home owners from the tax and raised the bracket for taxable properties from LE500,000 (roughly $72,000) to LE2 million (roughly $287,000).

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Egypt expects to collect $388.5mn in property tax revenu

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't know this answer and the question just came to me when I read this......Question is: Are land plots surveyed there with corresponding owners names attached?

Here I can find property stakes in the corners of my land designating down to the millimetre what is mine and I pay tax based on location, assessed value, levy rates re: school, hospital, library etc etc etc

Is this how property tax will be calculated there?
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Its not before time either, lets hope there is a set amount for Square Metre of unfinished and empty buildings too! Along with any place having Water and Electric supply, legal or not!!!
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Maybe a Poll Tax might be a better option, but one based properly not like the UK one that was based on the working class paying for everyone else.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

The fairest system is a mixture of council tax (based on property value) and poll tax (based on the number of people in the property). That way those with expensive houses still pay more but those single householders don't pay nearly as much as the house next door with 15 Poles living in it.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

...and if your house is up for sale, you don't pay as it saves them a lot of paperwork when its sold. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

15 Poles BB, you are lucky living next to a half empty house for the peace and quiet. :lol: