New governor for Luxor governorate

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

New governor for Luxor governorate

Post by Bombay »

Luxor Times
New governor was appointed today for Luxor governorate. The new governor is Engineer Adel Assad Mohamed al Khiat. He was the head of the Islamic group in Assuit during its golden age in the 70s. Adel Al Khiat was born in1951. His experience mainly in housing. The new governor spent a year in prison after the Assassination of late President Anwar Al Sadat. The new appointment has created controversy already in the tourism industry inner circles as the new governor is a part of the Islamic group which is responsible for Luxor massacre in 1997. Dr. Adel Al Kiat said on a phone call earlier tonight that when he arrive in Luxor, he will meet the tourism industry professionals and will do his best to encourage tourists to be back to Luxor.

http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/ ... -good.html

Remus
Egypt

Re: New governor for Luxor governorate

Post by Remus »

Well, how provocative is that? Including, but not involving the killing of tourists, 2 Nile Delta governorates who didn't vote for Pres M. There will be trouble ahead .....
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Mmmmmmmmmm!
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

A Swiss inquiry concluded that the Luxor massacre attack was carried out by Islamist fundamentalists wanting to damage tourism and destabilise the Egyptian economy and Government. And now this man, a member/leader of that organisation, is appointed Governor of Luxor. Not to mention his time in prison after Sadat's murder. It defies belief.

I say to the ex-pats of Luxor and possible tourists: Remeber that these were your people they killed.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Not one of us can say we have gone through life without some form of discrepancy, so I would suggest that give the man a chance to prove himself. I appreciate what the posts say, but lets wait and see what the new Governor has to say and do, before we condemn.

Remember that action speaks louder than words!!!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

From Terrorism to Politics is a road well travelled and closer to home than you think.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

One step closer to Luxor 2035.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

What's happening in 2035 ?
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Who2 wrote:What's happening in 2035 ?

Terrible things Doctor.... :cg

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32145

However, in my World, there will be no such thing as war by then.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Far to depressing for my state of mind, sorry....:cool:
just found this by robert we into the desert once for a month or so...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/ju ... ger-review
another good article from the Huffington Post.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 37528.html
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

No matter were you end up BM, deep deeply down, or floating with the clouds, the fight between good and evil will continue.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Has been the same since my birth 'the battle must be fought with courage and fortitude.
"I shall strike such a blow upon the anvil of my life" Tros of Samothrace...:cool:
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Protesters from different political groups in addition to tourism industry workers are protesting against the newly appointed governor as they see his background would be a big obstacle in bringing tourists back to Luxor.
Even some signs referred to him as " The governor of Terrorism" and other said "No for the Engineer of Luxor massacre 17/11/1997 We didn't forget".
Among the protesters, there were members of the political group Rebel who are calling to an end to the regime and were asking people to beep their horns if they support their demand. As you would notice in the second half of the video below, there was a private car with posters of two former presidents of Egypt, Nasser and Sadat, kept the horn going for a while and there was even a police car passing by and beeped the horn too.
The new governor is due to arrive in Luxor shortly. Mr. Adel Asaad swore in this morning before president Morsi.

http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/ ... inted.html
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22937397

Morsi gives Egypt governorships to Islamist allies

Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi has appointed a number of Islamist allies as regional governors.

The move strengthens what many see as the Muslim Brotherhood's grip on power.

The Brotherhood and its allies now control 13 of Egypt's 27 governorships.

The most significant appointment is for the tourist hotspot of Luxor, where the new governor comes from a party set up by an extremist group that carried out deadly attacks on foreigners in the 1990s.

Adel al-Khayat is a member of the political wing of Gamaa Islamiya, which claimed responsibility for the 1997 Luxor massacre in which around 60 tourists were killed.

The group subsequently renounced violence.

An office of the Brotherhood's political party in Al-Daqahliyah, north of Cairo, has reportedly been set on fire in protest against the appointments.

Mohammed Morsi was sworn into office as Egypt's first democratically elected president almost a year ago. He was the chairman of the Freedom and Justice Party, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood.

The Islamist movement was banned in Egypt for decades, but has enjoyed electoral success since Hosni Mubarak was forced to resign the presidency in February 2011.

Opponents accuse the Muslim Brotherhood of trying to dominate power at every level in Egypt, and the anniversary of President Morsi's inauguration is expected to trigger demonstrations.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A word to the wise!
No one is immune, Sadat, Kennedy, Pompey, Maximiliano Hernández Martínez, Emiliano Zapata, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr.
John Lennon, the list is endless.
So Mr President 'Be Nice, be human put your religion to one side for a bit, or remind yourself of this list......:cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assassinations
PS: This is the United Kingdoms List: alone.....

Date Victim(s) Assassin(s) Notes
293 Carausius, usurper of the Western Roman Empire
946 Edmund I, King of England Stabbed at a banquet
978 Edward the Martyr, King of England
1170 Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury
1306 John II Comyn, Lord of Badenoch Robert the Bruce
1381 Robert Hales, Lord High Treasurer Beheaded at Tower Hill by rebels during the Peasants' Revolt.
1381 Simon of Sudbury, Lord Chancellor, Archbishop of Canterbury and Bishop of London Beheaded at Tower Hill by rebels during the Peasants' Revolt.
1381 John Cavendish, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, Chancellor of the University of Cambridge Beheaded in Bury St Edmunds by rebels during the Peasants' Revolt.
1437 King James I of Scotland Walter Stewart, Earl of Atholl Killed at Perth on the night of 20–1 February in a failed coup by his kinsman and former ally Walter Stewart.
1452 William Douglas, 8th Earl of Douglas James II of Scotland
Henry VI of England, King of England Killed in the Tower of London likely on the orders of Edward IV of England.
1488 King James III of Scotland Killed by rebels.
1567 Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots
1570 James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, Regent of Scotland James Hamilton The first assassination carried out with a firearm.
1679 James Sharp, Archbishop of St Andrews Killed in Fife, near St Andrews.
1812 Spencer Perceval, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom John Bellingham The only British prime minister to be assassinated.
1916 Lord Kitchener, British Field Marshal and Secretary of State for War Killed on the HMS Hampshire after the cruiser struck a mine off Orkney. His body was never recovered. Some claim that Kitchener was deliberately assassinated; Fritz Joubert Duquesne, a German spy, claimed to have orchestrated the sinking of the Hampshire.
June 22, 1922 Henry Hughes Wilson, British field marshal, retired Chief of the Imperial General Staff and Conservative politician[25]
1940 Michael O'Dwyer, former Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab Udham Singh, a Punjabi revolutionary Killed during a speech at Caxton Hall, London.
1972 Paddy Wilson, Social Democratic and Labour Party politician
1975 Ross McWhirter, co-author of the Guinness Book of Records and right wing political activist
1977 Kadhi Abdullah al-Hagri, past prime minister of Yemen Arab Republic Killed in London.
1978 Georgi Markov, Bulgarian dissident
1979 Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, former Governor-General of India Thomas McMahon Killed along with three others while on a fishing trip with his family by a bomb planted onto his boat by McMahon. McMahon was a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, who claimed responsibility for the attack.
1979 Airey Neave, British Conservative politician Car bombing outside Palace of Westminster, by members of the Irish National Liberation Army
1981 Sir Norman Stronge, aristocrat and Northern Irish politician
1981 Sir James Stronge, 9th Baronet, aristocrat and Northern Irish politician
1981 Robert Bradford, Unionist MP in Northern Ireland
1982 Shlomo Argov, Israeli Ambassador to the Court of St. James's Although Argov survived this assassination attempt, the injuries he sustained in the attack resulted in his death in 2003.
1983 Edgar Graham, Ulster Unionist politician
1987 George Seawright, Northern Ireland politician
1989 Patrick Finucane, solicitor
1990 Ian Gow, British Conservative politician IRA members Killed by a car bomb near his house.
1997 Billy Wright, Loyalist Volunteer Force leader
1999 Rosemary Nelson, Irish Catholic solicitor and human rights advocate
1999 Jill Dando, British television presenter
2006 Alexander Litvinenko, former FSB officer and critic of Vladimir Putin Unknown, though believed to be figures within the government of Russia Acute radiation syndrome via ingestion of polonium-210. See Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko.
September 16, 2010 Dr Imran Farooq, founding member of the All Pakistan Muhajir Student Organization (APMSO)
Sophocles.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Not one of us can say we have gone through life without some form of discrepancy, so I would suggest that give the man a chance to prove himself. I appreciate what the posts say, but lets wait and see what the new Governor has to say and do, before we condemn.

Remember that action speaks louder than words!!!

Erm, he was involved in the massacre of innocent tourists and you want to give the man a chance to prove himself?

If its true then I think he has already done that!

I cant wait for Scottish to read this!

Tis true not one of us has a clean slate, I found a wallet when I was 12 with 5 pounds in it and I did not hand it in.

Where as his discrepancy is.......

Actions speak louder than words? A fact he proved in 1997.

This could quite easily pass as a Monty Python sketch only I think even they would turn it down for being too silly.

Its like appointing Jack The Ripper as chairperson of the Womens Institute, you couldn't make it up!

Really, your extracting the urine here arnt you?
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

CE: 'Not one of us can say we have gone through life without some form of discrepancy'

So being part of the responsibility for a massacre of over 60 people including a small child mercilessly gunned down is a 'discrepancy'!

This thread is not so far being taken seriously on this forum. But the damage has already been done - scathing comments in the world's press today. Almost as damaging as the massacre itself as far as world/public/tourist perception is concerned regarding both Luxor and the whole of Egypt. (Read the bleeding Daily Mail today)

I agree with you, Zooropa. But I expect someone will tell me I'm over-reacting - or, worse, make another joke about it.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

A member of the movement whose gunmen killed 58 foreigners at a temple in Luxor in 1997 was sworn in by Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi on Monday as governor of the vital tourist region.
Adel Mohamed al-Khayat, who now represents the Building and Development Party, political wing of the once violent al-Gamaa al-Islamiya movement, was one of 17 new governors, several of them Islamists, who took their oaths with the president.
His appointment stirred outrage in some quarters.
'No to the terrorist governor!' read one placard at a demonstration by dozens of tourism workers who protested outside the governor's office in Luxor.
Khayat, then in his mid-40s, was a leader of al-Gamaa al-Islamiya in another province when, on Nov. 17, 1997, six young men from the group shot their way into the Temple of Hatshepsut in Luxor's Valley of the Queens.
The attack was part of a broader campaign by the group, at that time linked to al Qaeda, to cripple tourism revenues for the government of then-president Hosni Mubarak. Of the 62 people killed in the next hour, 58 were foreign tourists, more than half of them Swiss and the rest Japanese, British, German and Colombian.
The gunmen, reported to have trained at al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan, committed suicide.

Al-Gamaa al-Islamiya, also implicated in the 1981 assassination of Mubarak's predecessor Anwar Sadat, renounced violence and condemned al Qaeda in ideological U-turns a decade ago. It moved into public life after the revolution in 2011 which ended Mubarak's military-backed rule.

Mursi, from the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, last year pardoned one al-Gamaa member accused of trying to kill Mubarak. He has called for the United States to free the group's spiritual leader, Omar Abdel Rahman, who was jailed for life over a bid to blow up New York's World Trade Center in 1993.
In Luxor, where tourism dropped off sharply after the 1997 attack and has been hit again by the unrest before and since Mubarak's fall, some of the protesters expressed concern that radical Islam could cause even further damage.

Sympathy: Mursi has called for the United States to free the group's spiritual leader, Omar Abdel Rahman, who was jailed for life over a bid to blow up New York's World Trade Center in 1993
The new governor's party has called for a ban on alcohol and night clubs and wants visitors to cover up and not wear skimpy clothing.
'Doesn't the president know that the people of Luxor depend on tourism for their livelihoods?' said one of the demonstrators, Abubaker Fadel.
Protesters said they hoped to prevent Khayat from entering his office when he returned from his swearing-in ceremony in Cairo.
Khayat himself was quoted in one Egyptian newspaper on Monday as saying he would welcome 'all forms of tourism'.
Historian Khaled Fahmy at the American University in Cairo said that the appointment was the latest proof of a 'short-sighted approach' by Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood, a major Islamist movement that foreswore violence in the 1970s.
'It's as if the Muslim Brotherhood is reaching out to the extremists,' Fahmy said. He noted tension was building ahead of planned mass demonstrations by the opposition and Islamists to mark the first anniversary of Mursi's taking office on June 30.
Mursi's supporters defended the choice of Khayat, saying al-Gamaa al-Islamiya had been successful in cracking down on crime in the south, where it is well established in the local tribal system.
'We see they are the most capable of guarding security in these type of provinces,' said Mostafa Elgheinemy of the Muslim Brotherhood's executive, calling Khayat's appointment an 'excellent choice'.
'It is impossible to exclude a faction, even if its history is bad, as long as they have rid themselves of these ideas,' he told Reuters. 'I must open the door for them and welcome them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2WVW4zVoR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Thanks for that, Bombay.

I'm told the new governor plans to arrive at his office tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9am.

Perhaps Luxor ex-pats should join the welcoming party. I suspect he'll keep them waiting for some time until he's sure that the police have everything under control - and he's carefully checked and adjusted his bulllet-proof vest.

I wonder whether he realises that he arrives only days before the Sufi Abu Hajaj moulid (festival) begins. His group despises the Sufis.
Azurite

Post by Azurite »

Chocolate Eclair " Actions speak louder than words "

Oh yes ... and his " actions " spoke very loudly ... I wonder just what someone would have to do before you condemn them.

Arab Springs ?? It's been bloody chaos wherever it's happened. :(

:worry: :worry: