Tamarod gives Morsi until Tuesday to step down

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Tamarod gives Morsi until Tuesday to step down

Post by DJKeefy »

Tamarod (Rebellion) campaign issued its first statement of “the revolution”, early Monday morning, demanding President Mohamed Morsi step down by Tuesday at 5pm.

The statement called upon all state and security apparatus “police, army and judiciary” to side with the “people’s will…clearly displayed in the different squares in Egypt on Sunday,” in reference to the millions who took to the streets demanding the ousting of Morsi.

The campaign assured that they will continue their sit-in in the different squares and assured its peacefulness.

The statement continued on, refusing any “middle ground” or any alternative to the “peaceful conclusion of the Brotherhood’s rule, represented in President Morsi and the calls for early presidential elections.”

The campaign threatened that if demands are not met by Tuesday afternoon, calls for civil disobedience will begin throughout the country ,together with an invitation to the people to besiege the presidential palace.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/07/0 ... step-down/

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Tamarod gives Morsi until Tuesday to step down

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So - what is the vote?

I think and wish he (Morsi) would but I don't think he will.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I have not met a single person in support of Morsi whilst ive been here and virtually every Egyptian I have come into contact with has commented about it unprompted.

I will only comment from the point of view of a tourist.

Its up to the Egyptian people to determine their path in my view but I will say that to keep chopping and changing every twelve months because your not happy is going to cause Egypt to go from one disaster to another.

It takes time for any economic policy to take effect so I hope the Egyptians accept that in the future they have to allow time for things to change.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

The helicopters with the flags were impressive - so its gonna be back to the generals again - - :urm:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

"On Sunday Egypt staged gigantic protests, the culmination of an original experiment in mobilisation, where millions signed a document demanding the resignation of President Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood. On Monday the military stepped in. Its chief, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, issued a statement giving political parties 48 hours to deliver "the demands of the people".

Till then, Morsi had been holding on tight. The Brotherhood says that when Egyptians elected Morsi, they entered into an unbreakable contract to keep him for four years. The protesters say he was elected on a stated commitment to the goals of the revolution and promises he made, and that he's broken every one of those. So Morsi has broken his contract with the electorate."

The beginning of a thoughtful article by Ahdaf Soueif in today's Guardian. For me, democracy is not a once-in-4-year box ticking, but needs permanent discussion. If a government were elected on a certain manifesto, and then totally changed its views within a year, that government can not be seen to be democratic, but a dictatorship. Read this and weep, Dave!

Full article at:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ough-morsi
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The Guardian has been given an inside running in the past week beginning with an exclusive interview with Morsi. Its recently become a bit of an expert in this area.

Their editorial, several days later, made some chilling predictions including the possibilities of organized violence from the brotherhood if Morsi was removed, the army outstaying their welcome and ( I think alarmist) civil war. I hope that the red rag is as reliable as usual then no-one will have anything to worry about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -editorial