Should Morsi step down?

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Should Morsi step down?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

As the duly 'democratically' elected President for Egypt, should Morsi step down? Wouldn't that just show another [alleged] weakness, and also be a huge let down for those who used their new found democratic right to vote him into office?

Has he really failed? Isn't it more a case of he was selected to fail, knowing that he'd have to do the job with both hands tied behind his back (and everyone ready with knives to stick in his back too)?

Should the army really be rattling their sabers at this point? If they do step in, will the situation really improve from it's pre Jan 2011 situation?

I have so many thoughts and questions going round in my head but sadly I don't have the answers. What are your thoughts and questions on the present/potential future situation for Egypt?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Should Morsi step down?

Post by Who2 »

Yes yes yes to all you questions....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

All I heard whilst in Luxor last time was how weak Morsi was, and that he was no good as a leader... :td
Makes you wonder why he got voted in, in the first place.. :tk Oh Yes, lack of choice.. !!
Having said that, in Politics voting makes no difference to the man in the street. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

To answer the question you should look at what he has done in the first year, and then look at what he has not done, and then weigh up what your answer is!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

But is it really as simple as that?
I'm not convinced it is. I liken it a bit like trying to do a jig saw...
- Most of the pieces are there but it's hard to tell what is missing.
- There may be some pieces mixed in that really don't belong.
- The picture on some of the pieces have been defaced.
- The edges on some of the pieces have been bent and frayed so they do not fit where you think they should.
- The picture on the box may well not be the one the pieces are for.
- There is always someone who will come along and force the pieces to fit, even if it messes up the whole picture and breaks the pieces for future good use.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Nothing to do with jigsaws.

In essence it boils down to this:
Do the Egyptian people want to live in the Arab Republic or the Islamic Republic of Egypt?

Morsi has not, as he initially promised, been president of all Egyptians, and there is a feeling on
the street that if you give him a full term in office he (and the MB Chief Guide) will propel Egypt
to the latter.

This I believe is far more important than the incompetence of the government. Listen to the long,
rambling speech he gave last Wednesday and try to imagine how an Egyptian Christian might feel about it ......
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

He has done bugger all since his placement with the exception of creating more unwanted death, destruction and shortages. He has reinstalled the worlds interest in puppetry. He is the mouth piece for his beloved, never to be forgotten gobshite organization with his fully paid up membership card, which is never non cancelable. [is that a real word?] He won't step down, he more than likely suffer the same fate as another dictator did, Mussolini in WW2, dragged, debaged and beaten to a pulp before left swinging in the wind outside his power base.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I would love to agree with you Dusak... :up

But, ,, erm, :tk I am hoping to have a 2 week stay out there round about October time.. :cg
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Even if there was a coup ( and now the miltary is denying this) there will be a bigger mess and muddle, and a military dictatorship once again? A 3 person presidential council very reminiscent of days gone by, remember all the torturing ...........
and the likelihood that the entanglement would drag on for years with many more loss of life and economic collapse. Not a good scenario I would think. :ni:
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The torture never stopped, Jewel. Despite the lack of police on the streets, they were busy in the cells with their electrodes and truncheons, but instead of MB supporters, their victims were the liberals/seculars!

He definitely seems to have broken his social contract with the electorate - remember his talk of inclusivity, positions in office for both women and people of other faiths - all broken, in favour of his own faction. For that he should go.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bullet Magnet wrote:I would love to agree with you Dusak... :up

But, ,, erm, :tk I am hoping to have a 2 week stay out there round about October time.. :cg
It would be nice to have the opportunity to put a face to the name BM, but I personally would think long and hard before parting with the dosh. Listing to the latest news reports the country is on the verge of a possible civil war. And October is not that far off. But at least you can get better 'on the ground reports' off here which I consider gives a better overview of the situation compered to the international news coverage. This city is brimming with non bias reporters. Most will give daytime views, while Keefy will handle the night time roving reports with the advantage of a quick getaway, fuel willing. My friends state that if next year is as it was this week, they will be giving it a miss after twelve years of continual visits, so that's my meat imports at an end. :cry: What has happened to the two Christian churches last night was a thing that I in all honesty would of said would not happen in Luxor. Its quite frightening how quickly the tides can change. This dose not however alter my opinion of living here, [WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED] :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Hopefully dr Who can give a report from his trip to town this morning. As per usual I've had my morning cycle ride towards the bridge and back and apart from empty petrol stations all appeared normal.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thanks for the Head's Up Dusak, :up I never book anything well in advance, I don't even buy green banana's . ;)

I do not think that my visits to Luxor have finished yet, but of course I still depend on Thompsons or Thomas Cook getting me here.
There are other ways, but the good lady wife will not entertain that.. Bless her.. :cg
Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

According to Al Ahram, the Egyptian security forces have slapped a travel ban on Morsi, and several top Islamist allies over their involvement in a prison escape in 2011.
Airport officials confirmed to AFP that they had received orders to prevent the leaders -- including Morsi, Muslim Brotherhood chief Mohammed Badie and his deputy Khairat al-Shater -- from travelling abroad.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

So the decision was made for ex-president Morsi in the end. He is officially out of power. What will happen next, one wonders? :tk
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

'Reports' that there are warrants out for 300 Brotherhood members and that the courts 'will look into' Morsi's escape from jail 2 1/2 years ago. Are there no past 'crimes' for which one cannot now be prosecuted for in Egypt under the new junta. Bet that justice is swift for some whilst hundreds charged for outrages since the revolution walk free and their assets are found to be unfindable.

When they start to do the 'round ups' you know its a real coup.

The people now in power thanks to the 'kids' will be sure that the courts, unable to find anyone guilty to date, now wake from their slumber.

Should be a real joke enforcing 300 warrants, except that the police, who have been on holiday for 2 years, also seem to have moved back into action. There used to be a phrase in Egypt: 'Only the police couldn't find them'.

On the police, has anyone noticed that these creatures, who have been hard to find, were to be seen (in TV footage) in strength celebrating with the crowds in Tahir.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Such as you and I Hafiz know full well,..................if it looks like a coup, smells like a coup,..........then its no use looking to the Egyptian media for ANY truth, a bit like the recent old days, and that dear old organ El Ahram.

P.S. - AP here in London have put your figure of 300 at 600.