Egyptian forces move against pro-Morsi sit-ins

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian forces move against pro-Morsi sit-ins

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian security forces, backed by armoured cars and bulldozers, moved on Wednesday to clear two sit-in camps by supporters of the country's ousted President Mohammed Morsi, showering protesters with tear gas, state television and security officials said.

An Associated Press television video journalist at the scene of the larger of the two camps said he could hear the screams of women as a cloud of white smoke hung over the site in the eastern Cairo suburb of Nasr City.

He said an army bulldozer was removing mounds of sand bags and brick walls built by the protesters as a defence line in the Nasr City camp. Army troops, however, were not taking part in the operation.

The simultaneous actions by the Egyptian forces — at the pro-Morsi encampment in Nasr City and at the site outside the main campus of Cairo University in Giza — began at around 7 a.m. (0500 GMT)

The pan-Arab Al-Arabiya TV is showing images of collapsed tents and burning tires at the Nasr City protest site. Ambulances are also seen at the scene, as well as some protesters being arrested and led away by the troops.

The Anti-Coup Alliance, an umbrella of pro-Morsi supporters, said in a statement that there are dozens of dead and injured so far in Wednesday's attacks.

At least 250 people have died in clashes in Egypt following Morsi's ouster in a military coup that followed days of mass protests by millions of Egyptians calling for his removal.

Supporters of the Islamist president want him reinstated.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... it-in.html

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Egyptian forces move against pro-Morsi sit-ins

Post by DJKeefy »

Some news reports are now saying 32 dead and a few hundred injured.... Pro-Morsi supporters are saying 150 dead and 5,000 injured.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

We are hearing on the West Bank that there are problems around the Awamaya district in Luxor and around the Abu Haggag Mosque, is there anyone who can confirm this or is it the rumour machine again?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm in the UK and hearing that trouble/violence has started in Luxor. I don't believe these are rumours but I do not have specific details either. With threats from the MB to set fire to the whole of Egypt - threats which I hear they have already started to carry out in some areas - these are times to be cautious and vigilant.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

Sadly nothing new in this, I saw the same things done when I was in Belfast in the 70's. The big brave IRA fighters would push their children to the front of the crowd, to escape the riot squads (us poor mugs). This kind of behaviour is reprehensible and evil, nobody has the right to rob the children of their childhood. Unfortunately in a riot situation it is impossible to tell the innocent ones from the rioters, and people suffer who shouldn't.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No sign of trouble in Awamia.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

There's intermittent smoke rising from Abu Haggag area, but it might be from the hager of Ahmeds Shisha. Looking across the river to Luxor all seems reasonably quiet as usual.