Consumer goods prices to be reduced at the end of each month

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Consumer goods prices to be reduced at the end of each month

Post by DJKeefy »

Consumer goods prices to be reduced at the end of each month, supply minister promises.

Minister of Supply and Internal Trade Mohamed Abu Shady announced an initiative on Tuesday to reduce the prices of consumer goods in the last ten days of each month by 40 percent so as to alleviate the impact of the current recession.

“The initiative would also control supply,” he said. “It would benefit both traders and consumers.”

At a meeting with the Grocers Syndicate, the minister extended the disbursement of supply goods until 8 September and pledged to cover the shortage of oil and rice supplies.

He said the ministry is supplying 20,000 tons of supplies to provinces which have been suffering a shortage of more than 50 percent.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/co ... r-promises

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Consumer goods prices to be reduced at the end of each m

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not quite following this one........I understand the written word but how is this going to be implemented?
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Not quite following this one........I understand the written word but how is this going to be implemented?
Yes, what is to stop anyone (with the funds and storage) to buy a month's supply in the last few days of each month?
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

Brian Yare wrote:
LovelyLadyLux wrote:Not quite following this one........I understand the written word but how is this going to be implemented?
Yes, what is to stop anyone (with the funds and storage) to buy a month's supply in the last few days of each month?
the way to do it
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IF that was implemented here I'd cease shopping in the first 20 days and buy all my goods in the last few days. They'd lose more in the long run.

My understand is however the many Egyptian families lives day by day with no ability to stockpile and so I can understand how this would help the families - BUT - the merchants? The shop keepers who have learned to charge the max for years? Does one believe they are really really really going to willingly lower their prices way down during the last 10 days?

And - exactly what "GOODS" are going to be included in this? Just newly bought ones? Goods that shopkeepers have had forever? Only the OLD crap that the shopkeepers haven't been able to sell and so now can flog off?

Wonder if the shop keepers who buy from the international guys get to buy low from everywhere else in the world during the last few days of the month? They just won't buy so they will not have anything to sell. Depending on their actual costs it may not be economically feasible.

Great words but can't really understand how this is logistically going to play out.