Bomb explodes near Egypt interior minister's convoy

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Bomb explodes near Egypt interior minister's convoy

Post by DJKeefy »

The minister escaped what State TV describes as an 'assassination attempt' unscathed, at least 7 are reported injured.

A bomb detonated near the convoy of Egypt's Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim in northeast Cairo early on Thursday, officials told Ahram Online.

The explosion took place near the minister's residence in the capital's Nasr City district.

Earlier reports said the blast resulted from a car bomb, but state TV said the bomb was thrown by unknown assailants from a nearby building.

The minister escaped what state TV described as an 'assassination attempt' unscathed.

At least seven, including a child, were injured in the attack, according to Egypt' Ambulance Authority.

The building from which the bomb was dropped was pinpointed and investigations are underway, state TV added.

The capital's Nasr City area has been the stronghold of a major protest camp by loyalists of Egypt's toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.

A deadly raid by police to clear Islamist led protest camps in Cairo and Giza mid-August left hundreds dead and thousands injured, and led to days of bloody street violence pitting Islamist against security forces.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/80840.aspx

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Re: Bomb explodes near Egypt interior minister's convoy

Post by Cyprus100 »

A slightly different report on BBC news seems to indicate it was a booby trapped car rather than a bomb being dropped...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23971239

Sounds like he had a lucky escape. He's also apparently appeared on TV to denounce the attack and stick 2 fingers up to them by the sounds of it!
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I had feelings that things like this would start to happen :(
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I'd be scared.I'd be VERY scared!
What's chances of something like this happening in Luxor?
Can anyone honestly say that it won't?
Bomb attack!The very vocabulary strikes fear and apprehension in me and I make no excuses for it!
Egypt,Cairo,Luxor,Aswan,are no longer "tourist"venues...they're dangerous places!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is exactly what terrorist do - they unexpectedly strike terror. Going to become a really different world if everybody, all the time has to be super vigilant because terrorists lurk. The cowardly spineless b a s t a r d s who can't come forward with their own argument and make a case for what they want, instead they thrive on their actions of killing innocent people who have no chance to defend themselves.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Need to get a stick to them LLL and give them a good beating....
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This is the problem with bombs, you never see them, hear them and are never there to pick up your own pieces. This one event is a major turn down of events, the goal post have been moved and the rules of engagement changed. You stand very little or no hope in discovering the existence of a bomb until its to late. No matter how vigilant you are. Suicide, car, planted, whatever the type of devise its invisible until it goes off. I expected this kind of cowardly response in Cairo and other hot spots, but don't, at the moment, expect to see them here. But you never can tell. I think that if and when the first one goes of in Luxor, you can wave goodby to tourism and a lot that live here. I personally would stay here but be more careful, or a least as careful and observant as is humanly possible considering what you are up against. After all said and done, who here would take any notice of a car parked close to their home, hotel, shop business as this is the most usual occurrence to see. How many of us see a large black bin sack just left anywhere in the street full of smelly rubbish any time of the day but what else could be under that smelly garbage. Night time would be the worst in my opinion. Given a little thought, we Europeans living here present the most easy of targets, day or night. Frightening thought, especially if you live out in the sticks so to speak.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Do we yet know definitively whether this was a bomb remotely
detonated in a parked car or a suicide bombing? I've read both
in Egyptian papers.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That fact that terrorists can now detonate remotely is another death knell for public safety. And terrorists do, unfortunately, achieve the desired result of unexpectedly striking terror as there is no possible way to know when or to identify their newest and latest devices. A bag casually dropped, a package randomly sent, a car full of explosives parked - these will never be found no matter how rigorous.

The two brothers who used Pressure Cookers as bombs during the Boston Marathon are prime examples of two guys, dressed casually who fit in perfectly with the crowd and used remotes to detonate bombs for maximum kill advantage. And, often those who end up suffering the most are those who are maimed, mutilated and have to contend with their injuries for the remainder of their lives due to those cowardly B**tards who chose to impose whatever it is they're trying to impose on the rest of us in the name of their God. They don't fight face on on the battle field instead they opt for innocent victims with no opportunity or chance to protect themselves.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

One of the victims was a teenage British girl so whilst they may not have achieved their aim in blowing up the Minister they certainly succeeded in damaging tourism even more.... if that's possible :cry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ttack.html
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak

(Only 265 words, but I struggled to follow the paragraph.) :) So I have not quoted it.

Let us hope that this terrorism does not spread south. At the moment the army/government seem to be keeping reasonable control, and I expect that the FCO advice will be changed within a fortnight. Just let the month's State of Emergency and the Curfews get downgraded and, inshaa'llah there will be better news.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

AlAhram:

Egypt’s interior ministry issued a statement on Friday urging media outlets not to publish any information on Thursday’s bomb attack unless provided by the ministry itself.

Hmmmmmmm
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Remus wrote:AlAhram:

Egypt’s interior ministry issued a statement on Friday urging media outlets not to publish any information on Thursday’s bomb attack unless provided by the ministry itself.

Hmmmmmmm
It was an inside job???