73% of Egyptians say they feel unsafe

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

73% of Egyptians say they feel unsafe

Post by DJKeefy »

46% of Egyptians say curfew affected their income, 73% feel unsafe: Baseera polls.

A poll conducted by Baseera in 27 governorates between 19 and 21 August reveals the majority of Egyptian citizens are caught between fear and deteriorating living conditions.

Forty-six percent of Egyptians said the curfew, imposed since 14 August, has negatively affected their income, revealed a poll conducted by Baseera, the Egyptian Centre for Public Opinion Research.

A curfew was imposed in 14 Egyptian governorates when the interim cabinet declared a state of emergency following an outbreak of violence that erupted after security forces dispersed two large Islamist protest camps in Cairo and Giza.

The curfew hours have been reduced twice since 14 August, currently implemented from 11pm to 6am daily, except Fridays when it extends the full length of the original period, from 7pm to 6am.

The poll showed that 62 percent of citizens said their living conditions had deteriorated compared to last year, 27 percent said they had not changed and only 10 percent said they had improved.

On a more optimistic note, the poll revealed that 62 percent of citizens expect their living conditions to improve by next year, while nine percent think they will worsen, another nine percent predict they will not change, and the remaining 20 percent said they did not know.

The poll also showed that 73 percent of Egyptians do not currently feel safe. Among those aged between 18-29 years, 78 percent feel unsafe, while the same feeling affects 64 percent of those aged 50 and above.

Baseera polled 1395 adults from across Egypt's 27 governorates via telephone between 19 and 21 August. The poll’s margin of error is less than three percent.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/81075.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: 73% of Egyptians say they feel unsafe

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting stats. I know my friends in Alex have identified the curfew as being the most problematic for them and causing them the greatest difficulty.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

DJKeefy wrote:A poll conducted by Baseera in 27 governorates between 19 and 21 August reveals the majority of Egyptian citizens are caught between fear and deteriorating living conditions.
This poll is more than two weeks old. Safety seems to be improving by the day.

I anticipate that the FCO and other external agencies may downgrade their security alerts next weekend.

And in any case, which 27 governorates were surveyed?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm curious too as to what exactly is giving the feeling of unsafe? Military? Terrorists? Live beside a Coptic Church? Great Gramps is a closet MB?

Wonder exactly it is that is making the feeling of unsafe?
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Not sure if I trust these % games LLL, we have a television advert running at the moment that states 76% of people endorse this product, then in small print it says underneath, survey done over 192 users. So really that means 72% of 192!!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

''Nine out of ten cats prefer Whiskers.'' And yet at the time of this advert I had three that wouldn't touch it. But if the cats were starving to death it would of been ten out of ten preferring it. The only way to get a near precise count of a subject is to hold a full referendum.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am not disputing at all that statistics can be manipulated every which way but Sunday. Using a word like "unsafe" is rather ambiguous too. To ask short questions i.e. - do you feel unsafe? in or out of a context can garner different answers too and who knows if this was reported back......
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

And, of course, did it the question ask whether you felt more unsafe now, than last year, or some other unspecified time. The same question could have been asked in the Mubarak years, and the answer might well have been the same.

And of course, 'unsafe' needs to be defined more accurately.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Can't disagree Stan - the giving of stats always leaves me skeptical especially when you don't get the entire study - but the headlines of three quarters of the population feeling unsafe sells