Thunder and heavy rain to pour Thursday on Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Thunder and heavy rain to pour Thursday on Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Heavy rainfall is expected across the country on Thursday, announced Egypt's Meteorological Authority, with floods in the Sinai Peninsula, the Red Sea mountain range and Upper Egypt, state news agency MENA reported.

Egypt was struck by a heat wave of scorching daytime weather and warm nights, with temperatures as high as 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) recorded on Sunday.

On Thursday, however, temperatures in Cairo are expected to drop to a highest of 22 Celsius and lowest of 14 Celsius.

Following heavy rain and floods that poured shortly after sandstorms in March, Head of the Meteorological Authority Ahmed Hussein said the country had not witnessed such inclement weather in 20 years.

March's unstable weather resulted in major traffic accidents that left 16 dead, while the roof of Hurghada Airport on the Red Sea partially collapsed due to rainstorms.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/100703.aspx

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Thunder and heavy rain to pour Thursday on Egypt

Post by BBLUX »

I guess you did not get the severe wind storm that we had on the West Bank on Wednesday afternoon/evening then Keefy.

There was a huge sand storm down in Aswan and Kom Ombo as well.
http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/ ... onicles%29

No sign of the thunder and rain as yet though thank goodness. Our morning walk today was wonderful because the air was so clear and fresh after a week of cloud and poor air quality.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Looking quite windy on the Karnak webcam this afternoon, but no sign of storms. Can't see them on Accuweather or BBC either. I suspect that they passed a long way south.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:sd:

I postponed all plans because I know how it can suddenly get ugly. I had meant to cross the river today but found it safer to stay at home. There is a wonderfully cool breeze, blue sky, clear air and very bright light. An hour ago the sun tried to break through a heavy black cloud while the hills were bathed in warm sunlight and I almost thought that I caught a drop of rain, but it dissappeared fast into the desert. A beautiful day! When you know that summer is on its way you really appreciate being able to sit outside without sweating and inside without the constant noise of a ceiling fan.

:d2:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Been for a long walk along the Nile, first time for me, face the ferry and go left. Found a lovely little coffee shop watched the kids swimming, lovely breeze just like a mid summers day in England.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

From behind the hills, the sinking sun send its red rays to highlight some pretty little fluffy clouds after a fresh, clear day. I am not sure if this was to let us know that there will be more clouds tomorrow, or that they are just innocent patterns of white on a bright blue sky. It has been a while since I saw such an intense sunset, so I ran to the roof to get the aftermath. I had to go back and get a shawl to wear over my t-shirt! :ct

Vodafone was down last night when I needed to call a taxi, so I went out in the street to look for one - it rained! While I was waiting, two men shared their worries about relatives who had called from Aswan, where things were really bad. That is how I heard about the terrible storm.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Sounds like Luxor got away lightly. It fell down in Hurghada Wednesday night....but a lovely fresh day today. I gather the coastal road to Cairo got washed away around Ain Sokhna.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Another beautiful day, not to be taken for granted. It seems that we have been lucky this time:

http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/ ... onicles%29

And the Crazy Weather Continues in #Egypt

I do not know if we consider this sign that simply nothing is forever or that global warming is a serious problem when it snows in May in .. Egypt !!
Unstable weather conditions have continued till now , we got strong dusty wind in Cairo and Giza in the morning. It snowed in North Sinai and it continued to rain and flood in Ain El-Sokhna and South Sinai.
Highways and road crossings in South Sinai as well Ain El-Sokhna were closed for hours before they would be opened...