Lioness abuse at Giza Zoo sparks anger

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Lioness abuse at Giza Zoo sparks anger

Post by DJKeefy »

A video released by Egyptian news website Masrawy showing teenagers shooting a pellet gun at a lion at Giza Zoo has triggered condemnation on social media.

The footage showed an agitated female lion being stung by many pellets to the joy of the teenage observers, one of whom was filming the scene with his mobile phone.

A teenage boy appeared in the video shooting the gun while others edged him on saying "shoot again" repeatedly. One urged the boy not to shoot the lion in the face.

phpBB [video]

"This is the peak of cowardice" one of the comments on Masrawy read. "He should show us how to bother them while they're out of the cage."

"The scene of kids harming animals at the zoo is one of the most difficult and most depraved scenes I've seen in my entire life, I can't imagine what the homes of such kids are like," Egyptian screenwriter Mohamed Nayer Beyram said on Twitter.

Many on YouTube where the video is uploaded placed responsibility on the zoo's management. Lili Eid demanded to know where the zoo keeper and the zoo's security were.

Another user, Nana Fuad, said "the keeper in charge of the lions must be stripped naked and shot with pellets to feel the pain and helplessness the lions felt," urging the relevant authorities to teach employees that animals feel pain like humans.

A zoo keeper is present for a brief part of the video but doesn't appear to scold the shooter. The shooting does however stop when he stands in front of the cage.

Giza Zoo is a popular destination for Egyptians on Eid holidays marking the end of Ramadan, which started on Monday.

Giza Zoo was opened by Khedive Ismail in 1891 and is the oldest zoo in Africa.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/107311.aspx

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Lioness abuse at Giza Zoo sparks anger

Post by Who2 »

I hear they feed the Lions live guinea pigs to give them a bit of exercise else they sleep alday unless some bast**shoots them or you in the arse...:cool:
Ps: having just watched it my pellet gun is more powerful than that, regardless the zoo keeper should have battered the little sh**e
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Now that's the place to go for your guinea pigs Who, on my one and only sickening visit, there were so many in a cage there that they were being smothered by each other.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Sadly, this is not surprise. :(
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have a lawn to small for a lawnmower and too big to do it with shears so, on Gardeners Question Time last week they came up with this alternative so I thought I would give the little lawn munchers a chance..:cool:
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't forget they did say you had to rake the lawn to get rid of the poo, what about rabbits?
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

carrie wrote:Don't forget they did say you had to rake the lawn to get rid of the poo, what about rabbits?
Don't rabbits poo then!?!!? :ni:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Aah, yes, but like pigs they have the very civilised habit of doing their poos in one place given the correct environment, making them easier to collect. so no raking.
Unlike pigs they produce the well known hard pellets but also larger softer ones which they eat as they are produced. :sk
It's like chewing the cud, but part of the process is outside the body. :mrgreen:
Too much information? :ni:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The actions of the teens is terrible. Can't fathom the mentality of anybody deriving pleasure from deliberately hurting a defenseless animal.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

It is terrible indeed, but as teens they are pushing the limits of their actions, trying to get a reaction.
Instead of a short sharp shock - sufficient to deter them from ever doing such a thing again - they had the tacit approval of the Zoo keepers and internet fame.
What's done cannot be undone, the lesson has been learned. I would take a guess that their next activity will be to use human targets - obviously vulnerable ones.
If the appropriate action had been taken on the day it might not have happened again. The children would have learned their lesson and the lioness could return to her normal purgatory.
Now all over Egypt horrid children will be aping the famous teens - with their phone cameras at the ready trying to get their moment of fame.
I think YouTube were wrong to show the clip. What do you think?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sorry double post
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I don't know MD perhaps all the attention that this video is getting will make those responsible for the animals welfare in the zoo take it more seriously. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was used as a teaching aid and debating subject in schools to explain to children that this form of behaviour is unacceptable, cruel and vicious.
Giza zoo has an horrible reputation, the animals are kept in appalling conditions and in my opinion should be closed down.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Has anyone learnt anything :?:

Do these and other Egyptian children see that they are doing anything wrong?

I was having a relaxing break on the Nile with a friend who visits Luxor every year. On the shore some boys were abusing a donkey and my animal loving friend got upset, of course. From the boat she made gestures to show them that they should stop stressing the donkey, but I had to tell her that it was no use. They had no idea that what they were doing was wrong and that her anger had to do with their cruelty, which sadly appears to be the norm among children growing up with animals in Egypt. All they would see was another hostile foreigner who did not like Egyptians!

It was of some comfort to her when I told her about ACE's initiative to let school classes learn and see for themselves that animals do feel. She was already an ACE supporter and I have seen that she spread the news online.

I have not been to Giza Zoo and have no I intension of going, but I have seen animal parks and markets in Egypt where you really cannot understand the attraction.

:xx :x :evil: :cry: :(
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I went to Giza zoo about 10 years ago BENNU. I vowed then never to go again. It should be closed down :xx
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

The zoo is a national disgrace and there is no quick fix.

The animals should be painlessly euthanized under proper veterinary supervision. Perhaps by digging huge graves and burying the animals deep then planting big trees the garden could then be dedicated to the memory of the countless animals that have endured hell on earth in the zoo over the years.

It could become a beautiful place, a green lung for the city where children can run and play in safety while their parents relax the shade of the aforesaid trees.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I passed the zoo en route to Cairo University. From the street you can see the guinea pig exhibit which looked pretty bad such that I had no inclination to go inside and see anything further.

If from the cages in the video showing where the animals are kept inside I'd infer that the rest of the zoo is in similar disrepair and my vote would go for it to be closed down.

I don't mind zoos housing animals if they can give the animal lots of space and a semblance they're living in their natural surroundings and if there is some reason the animal can no longer live in the wild.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I just received a pair a guinea pigs fed-ex from Cairo Zoo, they where bubbled wrapped in a 8x12 "Express Box" they had suffocated (pbut) probably due to the bubble wrap, I have some more coming so 'nil desperandum they died for a good cause, shame they never had chance to learn about the cause.
Ps: their is no insurance policy for guinea pigs with Fed-ex. "I wonder why?
Do you think If I asked nicely the cairo zoo would give me a lion cub, it would just love it round here, guinea pigs grass burglars as well.
'their as quiet as fu** then the b****d bites yer in the bum..
Another busy 'pissy day with a film crew with little ideas. it's taxing, trust me, but the show must go on...:cool:
I once bought a jerble on-line..
this is what was sent 'don't buy online....
Sophocles.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Mad Dilys wrote:Aah, yes, but like pigs they have the very civilised habit of doing their poos in one place given the correct environment, making them easier to collect. so no raking.
Unlike pigs they produce the well known hard pellets but also larger softer ones which they eat as they are produced. :sk
It's like chewing the cud, but part of the process is outside the body. :mrgreen:
Too much information? :ni:

Very informative MD, you certainly know your s**t. :wi
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

:))) :))) :)))
Nice one Zooropa.

Comes from raising three generations of children with very inquiring minds.