FGM Doctor Jailed

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

FGM Doctor Jailed

Post by newcastle »

Hardly a resounding success for the anti-FGM campaign. Take away the manslaughter element and the punishment is derisory. Dealing severely (if you can call it that!) with the doctors and not the parents will likely result in more butchery at home

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/01/26/e ... utilation/

Jayway
Portugal

Re: FGM Doctor Jailed

Post by Jayway »

I am curious, what exactly is "hard labour" and as he has two years of it, will he survive ?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:Hardly a resounding success for the anti-FGM campaign. Take away the manslaughter element and the punishment is derisory. Dealing severely (if you can call it that!) with the doctors and not the parents will likely result in more butchery at home

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/01/26/e ... utilation/

I think you have hit the spot with your comment. The fact that this girl died under his care is awful and he needs punishing not just for this but because he acted against the law. We hope it would send out a message to other practitioners to cease this barbaric act but the reality is that it is likely to encourage more secrecy and hidden FGM in the homes - not that it ever stopped.

It is clear that there has to be more information and education for all those involved, not just court cases when things go wrong. It was encouraging to read over the weekend of a girl who had received education just before being due to be circumcised. She was able to go home and talk to her mother and her mother listened. This is the piece I read:
بلان مصر / Plan Egypt
24 January at 19:47 ·
Ashrakat is one of the most amazing youth volunteers we work with. In the following quotation she proudly shares how she succeeded in helping a girl in her community be protected from going through FGM.
“We were having an orientation session about female genital mutilation and I was trying to make the girls understand its bad effects. One of the girls attending told me that the following day she was going to be circumcised and after what she learned in the session, she did not want to go through it. She said ‘my mum would like to follow customs and traditions and what people in our community usually do’. I gave her some documents explaining the harms caused by female genital mutilation and told her to talk with her mum and tell her that I may die because of that operation, or live you choose. Next day she came telling me ‘my mum was convinced and refused to have me circumcised’.
I wish to travel around the world and write books that will benefit all people.

https://www.facebook.com/PlanEgypt?fref=ts

The work of organisations such as Plan Egypt and ONE are invaluable in helping prevent FGM by education and enabling and empowering girls and women to understand their body and to know that not all customs and traditions are beneficial.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Jayway wrote:I am curious, what exactly is "hard labour" and as he has two years of it, will he survive ?
It can be anything from digging ditches or smashing rocks for twelve hours a day living of meager rations. Any work involving a great deal of work and stamina. Or they could make him do his four year medical training again so he understands the term 'for the betterment of human life'.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.