“The British are coming in strength”

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

“The British are coming in strength”

Post by HEPZIBAH »

UK in Egypt
PRESS RELEASE: Strong British delegation at Sharm el-Sheikh led by Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond

Ambassador John Casson: “The British are coming in strength”
---

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond will today lead a strong British delegation headed to Sharm el-Sheikh the “Egypt the Future” conference.

The delegation includes representatives of world-leading British businesses such as Bob Dudley, Chief Executive Officer of BP and Sami Iskander, Chief Operating Officer of BG.

Already almost 50% of all foreign direct investment in Egypt comes from Britain, making Britain the largest single investor in Egypt. Some 75 British companies have been invited to the conference including Vodafone, the largest corporate taxpayer in Egypt; BG, whose latest $1.5 billion project brings their total investment to $14 billion, and WHSmith, which plans to establish their world famous brand in Egypt in the upcoming months. There are more speakers on the conference programme from Britain than from any other country. Sir Hugh Robertson MP, who played a leading role during the London 2012 Olympic Games, will speak about how sports can be a catalyst for business opportunities and social cohesion.

The delegation arrives the day before President el-Sisi and BP CEO Bob Dudley will formally sign the final agreements of the West Nile Delta (WND) project, which represents an investment of around $12 billion by BP and its partner. The project is the largest foreign direct investment in Egypt. Gas production at WND is expected to reach the equivalent of 25% of Egypt’s current gas production. All gas produced at WND will be fed into Egypt’s national gas grid and will significantly increase the supply of energy in Egypt.

The UK has also contributed policy support to the Egyptian government in the months leading up to the conference, bringing UK programme spending in Egypt to $50 million since 2011.

Speaking in advance of the conference, Ambassador John Casson said:

“The British are coming in strength and we want to set an example to the world. Britain’s commitment is not just about three days in Sharm el-Sheikh but about having a permanent presence at the heart of Egypt’s economy. British companies are not just making profits, but are creating jobs, energy supplies and infrastructure to drive Egypt’s future. And we are not just about signing businesses deals but about supporting long-term reforms that are needed for Egypt to succeed: cutting bureaucracy, removing obstacles to foreign investment, and ensuring that economic growth benefits the poorest and most vulnerable in society.”

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: “The British are coming in strength”

Post by A-Four »

Don't you just love the British Embassy in Cairo, a little late with their press release, but I would still put this down under the heading of 'carrot-stick stick-carrot', but then again most on here have not seen the fine details yet,...........they will trickle out later.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

As long as they stay on the East Bank all very well, but I'm afraid to say that these days the West Bank is busier than the East, perhaps it's time to move further far from 'the madding crowd… :cool:
Ps: Mind you I had a nice light lunch at the Marsam just now, working on the memoirs surrounded by archeologists, them I don't mind!
Pss: WHSmith eh ? perhaps I can get an exchange for their rubbish elastic bands, they keep on emailing about my complaint and are trying to rectify it long distance...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Only yesterday I received an email from the Embassy saying there was a high risk of terrorist activities in Sharm, one does wonder.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

How come you get emails from her Maj whilst I only get stuff from a year ago ?
Anyhow, they are lifting a bloody great statue at Memnon 'quite fascinating ropes pulleys chocks ect should have had my camera it's at 45 degrees at present… :cool:
It's all been lying just under your feet for a long long time, get yourself a shovel…..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote:As long as they stay on the East Bank all very well, but I'm afraid to say that these days the West Bank is busier than the East, perhaps it's time to move further far from 'the madding crowd… :cool:
Ps: Mind you I had a nice light lunch at the Marsam just now, working on the memoirs surrounded by archeologists, them I don't mind!
Pss: WHSmith eh ? perhaps I can get an exchange for their rubbish elastic bands, they keep on emailing about my complaint and are trying to rectify it long distance...
Sounds to me that they are attempting to stretch it out.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

As ive said before, you local speculators should hop over to Hurghada and by up all the paint and then sell it back to the pavement maintenance department at a profit!

It might be worth checking the house of commons list of members interests to see whether Philip Hammond is a director of any large paint manufacturers.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

What ever you do Zoo, never look at the list of members interest, when listening to a debate in the House of Commons, and more especially when certain Ministers of the Crown are abroad,...........you would kill yourself laughing.

............and to think how people go on about China and Prince Andrew.