New Bank Notes 2015

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

New Bank Notes 2015

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There are new LE100 and LE200 notes in circulation from this week. They are slightly slimmer than the old ones and also have a hologram for the first time.

Source CAIROSCENE http://www.cairoscene.com/Buzz/New-100- ... irculation

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: New Bank Notes 2015

Post by Brian Yare »

When are they phasing out the old notes? I have a few here for my next trip in the autumn.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Are they plastic or still paper?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Are they plastic or still paper?
The polymer substrate banknotes that you are familiar with in Australia, have been around for some time now. First developed by the De La Rue company back in the 1980's, it has been slow to catch on here in Europe. However, the Clydedale Bank in Scotland has recently issued such notes, perhaps because it is owned by the Nationall Bank of Australia.

I understand as direct result of the success of the so called ePassport in the U.K., also developed by De La Rue, the Bank of England will soon be issuing polymer substrate notes in the very near future, though they never give full warning of such an issue of any new notes, for obvious reasons. The hologram system is a little old hat these days.

I am certain a such note issue to the the Central Bank of Egypt may be too expensive, especially when there is a constant shortage of basic commodities at the moment.

P.S. - All hard currency bank note retain their face value, even going back a hundred years, other national banks allow a few years at least to exchange old notes,..........Happy Birthday, Brian Yare, and that's your present from me. :wi :wi :wi .
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Thank you, A4.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have 'plastic' money here now. When it gets old it'll break and chip, if it lays in the hot sun it can melt, when new it'll stick to each other and doesn't fold worth a darn but overall it does seem to last longer than the old paper money. Course our paper/plastic money starts at the $5 bill. We have coins for everything else up to that although our penny is now obsolete.

If you pay with cash as there are no pennies we're rounding up or rounding down unless we pay with a credit or debit card in which case the pennies are taken by the buyer.