Divorce in Egypt/Luxor.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Divorce in Egypt/Luxor.

Post by Scottishtourist »

One of my colleagues is in the process of getting a divorce.

It's a relatively easy process.There are no dependant children.The husband has moved out,she will keep the family home.She has a job,can support herself,pay her bills,etc...and will not have to live with any type of stigma,i.e,a failed marriage,single woman,etc.She also has access to a good lawyer!

Got me thinking..how easy is it to get a divorce in Egypt/Luxor?
I'm not talking about European women and Egyptian men,Orfi marriages,etc.
I'm talking about a marriage between Egyptian couples.

Is there a "stigma"attached to divorce?For the woman?Or the man?
How easy is it for either party to re-marry?
Is it a long drawn out process...and what legal rights do women have?

Or..does it not really happen that often?Purely because a Muslim man can have up to four wives?

Not questioning any laws,etc.Just interested,and looking for opinions.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Divorce in Egypt/Luxor.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Simplistically - For a man divorcing a wife it is relatively straight forward and easy aka "I divorce you" x 3 however much more difficult for a woman to get rid of a bad husband.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

.............and you think it's as simple and final as that LLL,.....seems to me you have been talking to too many men in Luxor,...........and rather stupid ones at that.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ A-four - DUH - actually no I do not at all think it is that easy which is why I started saying "simplistically" and then outlined a stereotype..............GHEESH!!

But how many times has this type of topic been re-hashed out on here too as related to English women and Egyptian men. Does "ad nauseum" spring to mind?

AND - if she wants this info as related to Egyptian couples then she'd have to actually find Egyptian couples. I'm not aware of ANY talking or posting on here...........
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Does "ad nauseum" spring to mind?
"ad mortem" more likely!
للموت
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

I would like to have read GD reply actually but as always LLL you shut down any reference to this subject :stp
It is what it is.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My good heavens - I know I have super powers but I didn't realize I controlled what GD replied to on here!!

Why don't you formulate an answer then to ST question(s) You've stated you've been involved with Egyptian men - why not tell us in an open forum for all to read all the personal details of your relationship ending and what all you went through............????? I mean - really? Does anybody really want to do a 'tell all' about the ending of a relationship particularly when there have been so many hashed about on here.

And personally I don't see where I stopped anybody from replying......if I did I'll now give PERMISSION for any and all Forum Members to discuss this topic all they want...........

@Brian Yare - للموت Yuppers - quite agree
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

My marriage hasn't ended anyway. Meh.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

With all due respect LLL ( :D :D :D ) re hashing an orfi marriage between Egyptian and European was not ST's question, and throwing around some of my past seems to be missing as well.
It is what it is.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Actually it is relevant because the marriage/divorce laws are the same for foreigners and Egyptians. And you are the one who was seeking/got a divorce, not me.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Got me thinking..how easy is it to get a divorce in Egypt/Luxor?
I'm not talking about European women and Egyptian men,Orfi marriages,etc.
I'm talking about a marriage between Egyptian couples.

Is there a "stigma"attached to divorce?For the woman?Or the man?
How easy is it for either party to re-marry?
Is it a long drawn out process...and what legal rights do women have?

Or..does it not really happen that often?Purely because a Muslim man can have up to four wives?

Not questioning any laws,etc.Just interested,and looking for opinions.

Are you saying GD that an Orfi marriage carries the same rights and responsibilities as a formal contract ? I was interested in your opinion as you usually investigate quite thoroughly as well as I believe reading actual Arabic, not because you had personal experience of it GD, which you may have, who knows, I am not fishing round for an in sight into your personal life.

All I can say to ST question is although they state it is a terrible thing to Divorce Blah blah, I was aware of a young Egyptian lady who had just walked out of her second marriage. Negotiations were going on to return her furniture and an exchange of money, the problem for her was she did not want to hand over her baby daughter to the father. I would say she was an extremely attractive lady with a strong family behind her, which I believe would give her options.

There does seem to be a difference in people living in Luxor and Karnak, although only metres separate them Karnak appears to have more of the village attitude and culture, expressed in views and dress, and mentality.

A man took a second wife, his first wife with the 4 children went ballistic and was packed off to her family to calm down. As it turns out he never consummated the second marriage, much to the dismay of the second wife for fear of her becoming pregnant therein he would have to provide a home and support for her. (she was a nurse and lived in a dormitory). In the end the wife went home and I believe a divorce is in progress for the second wife. The first wife found out about her because she use to text her.

So I would suggest that Egyptian marriage life is not so different from our own.

Would add my teacher is a product of a multiple marriage in that her mother is not the only wife, I do not believe they all live together, I would say that by having so many responsibilities has affected my teacher in that she is working and unable to marry at this time due to money constraints. She refers to other siblings as family, we only consider the impact of multiple marries on the wives but forget about the children.
It is what it is.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

dsaxelby wrote:
So I would suggest that Egyptian marriage life is not so different from our own.
You are right Dsaxelby.

I will tell you of one type of marriage that seems to becoming quite common in Upper Egypt these days. A young woman, who has been left on the shelf, if you get my drift, will marry a quite old man, who has very few family connections, and those that remain are greatful and bless the marriage, thus releasing then of responsibility of his future care.

The husband would tell you he is having a wonderful new married life, which is true, but not in the way many would think on here.

The wife would tell you that she cares for him and respects him, and certainly would look after him to the day he dies. When eventually this occurs, this lady, probably now middle aged, has acquired quite a large dowry.

This rather plain middle aged lady is now quite a catch, and many young, good looking men would be more than ready to ask for this lady's hand in marriage. I know of a few such cases in Upper Egypt, though I know not of Cairo, but I can tell you that even Elizabeth Shrewsbury (1527 - 1608), would be regarded as a novice, in this field, in one such case I know of.

As for Divorce in Upper Egypt, the wife is much more powerful than what most people seem to think on here,...........the earliest known will ever found, was that of an ancient Egyptian woman in Upper Egypt, and as we say,............little changes in the Two Lands.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Agree that divorce in the UK is very easy, especially for men, all you have to do is agree to a lop sided deal that gives your wife the majority of the marital assets and of course, custody of the children and its plain sailing.

Best to agree to it upfront as that is what you will be made to accept in the end anyway.

In the UK there are always two winners out of three in divorces, the woman and the solicitor.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Nice to see you back Z' :up

These days I agree with you, it seems to have gone from one extreme to the other..
When my parents divorced back in the mid 70's, despite my father being the "guilty party", we never got a penny and had the house sold from under our feet.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Nice to see you back Z' :up

These days I agree with you, it seems to have gone from one extreme to the other..
When my parents divorced back in the mid 70's, despite my father being the "guilty party", we never got a penny and had the house sold from under our feet.
Divorce like religion is the great exception in society.

Over and above the wedding dress, the church do, the reception and the I love you's, marriage is a legal contract entered into by both parties and both parties agree amongst other things to remain faithful.

Can anyone name any other legal situation where the party that breaks that legal agreement does not suffer any penalty?

Fault is not apportioned in any way other than to grant a divorce, no penalty, no loss of benefits no fines or reprimands for breaking the contract.

You try ducking out of a mobile phone or broadband contract a few months early and they hammer you, betray an agreement made in front of legal authorities and friends and you get to walk away with everything.

Madness.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

From what I've been told of actual cases, the women find it a hard fight to gain custody of a single chair, let alone what she may be entitled to morally and legally and there are laws set down as to what the husband has to sign over/give/contribute in a divorce. Still a mans world unless the man wants to get rid for a younger model, then she can have the full set of chairs.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A friend of mine wanted a divorce, her husband had two Egyptian wives, one had a boy and she a little girl. The two women lived in flats that were across the landing from each other and hated each other intensely. My friend with the little girl told her husband that she wanted a divorce and he agreed, think he wanted all the hassle between the two women to stop. My friend, let's call her Z, agreed to leave with her clothes and her daughter and return to her family home not far from Cairo. I don't know exactly what happened but her husband and a friend went to the local Sheik with her and a divorce was arranged. Next day she left for her family home.
I think if she had asked for anything then things would have been more difficult, he was supposed to pay maintenance for the little girl but don't think he ever did.
She has now remarried but the little girl lives with her Grandmother the new husband refuses to bring up another man's child.
If I understand it correctly if a woman wants a divorce and the husband is found to be at fault she is allowed to stay in her home with her children and he must go even though he owns the apartment.
I suppose really it's very much like anywhere else all depends on the circumstances each case is different.