Egypt outlines new security measures

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

Egypt is to spend $32 million on beefing up security measures at key tourist resorts.
Additional CCTV cameras will be installed on Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada and linked up with private systems in hotels to increase overall coverage.

Extra security personnel and sniffer dogs and more scanning and detection equipment will be introduced.

Tourism minister Hisham Zaazou said: "Egypt has a long track record of enhancing security and seeking to ensure that our citizens and tourists visiting our country are safe and secure.

"These additional measures bring our tourist security to another level. However, we will not stop there. We constantly review our capabilities on a regular basis and will continue to do so.

"The security of visitors to Egypt remains our highest priority. I believe that these new measures will further add to the security of our resorts while not being intrusive to tourists so they can get on with enjoying their holidays."

Flights between Sharm el Sheikh and the UK are still banned following the downing last year of a Russian aircraft.

Last Saturday three tourists were stabbed at a hotel in Hurghada.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/egyp ... sures-2551

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Egypt outlines new security measures

Post by Major Thom »

I thought security measures especially around Luxor was quite tight, but any extra will give tourists a sense of extra peace of mind.
So a good move.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Stop car.....open boot. ....observe (but do not inspect) several boxes/ cases.....close boot. ..waive car on.

Yep.....makes me feel much safer :lol:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

We have a lot of new cctv cameras all round the city and the WB, but is there any evidence that anyone is actually monitoring them? The new control centres, eg., behind the Ramesseum Rest House and behind the Medinet Habu police point, are empty shells at the moment.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Judging by the way service buses ignore them at traffic lights probably not, but remember when someone in the UK brought out the fake security camera, people were aware and it put them off. I wonder how many people have sped trough speed camera's with no film inside throughout the UK
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Brian Yare wrote:We have a lot of new cctv cameras all round the city and the WB, but is there any evidence that anyone is actually monitoring them? The new control centres, eg., behind the Ramesseum Rest House and behind the Medinet Habu police point, are empty shells at the moment.
Yes, several men who murdered someone between the Memnon and the police station at 2am one morning were identified and arrested partially thanks to their being seen passing by the cameras. So yes, they are working and they are beneficial.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

They are working because they were installed and tested by two Brits who were here for many months...
Mind you if it's like anything else around here it's probably not working now.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Security cameras are now a requirement of all licenses.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

That will put up the costs to business's who no doubt will pass on through prices. But ingenious and a good move, once people are aware of this they will maybe take more care and the people working them will have direct evidence to use in the courts of law to prosecute.

Are there camera's in the Government Sook? I have not bee in for over 3 years.

At least these camera's will put off Clefty's even if it does not put off service bus drivers and stupid motorcycle riders.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Do security cameras really put off the criminally minded? Overall, I think not. It may deter some but their main use is as evidence after a crime has been committed. Of course, if they are the constantly monitored system they do help police keep an eye on unusual behaviour patterns or known suspects, but again will not stop a crime.

Personally, I feel no safer if a place does or doesn't have security cameras.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Do security cameras really put off the criminally minded? Overall, I think not. It may deter some but their main use is as evidence after a crime has been committed. Of course, if they are the constantly monitored system they do help police keep an eye on unusual behaviour patterns or known suspects, but again will not stop a crime.

You are not watching enough criminal tv series then Hepzi :lol: NCIS, criminal minds, CSI all solve the majority of their crimes by hacking into security cameras and catching the bad dudes!
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Criminals will like you say not be put off by camera's they can easily disguise themselves, but rookie criminals may be put off.
Like Robbo says they are a good asset for catching and identifying criminals. Not just Egypt but all around the world criminals are being caught by these devices. including the Boston Marathon Bombers, the Hatton Garden Thieves, and like a previous poster said two rogues on the West Bank, maybe they should make sure they are everywhere were tourists go or stay.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bombay wrote:Security cameras are now a requirement of all licenses.
Even my driving license?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Robbo70 wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Do security cameras really put off the criminally minded? Overall, I think not. It may deter some but their main use is as evidence after a crime has been committed. Of course, if they are the constantly monitored system they do help police keep an eye on unusual behaviour patterns or known suspects, but again will not stop a crime.

You are not watching enough criminal tv series then Hepzi :lol: NCIS, criminal minds, CSI all solve the majority of their crimes by hacking into security cameras and catching the bad dudes!
:roll: Don't mention NCIS - alas I am hooked although I came to it late and now find myself watching episodes from goodness knows how many series, depending on where and when I see it is on the TV. :?
Even the determined Gibbs rarely gets his villain before the crime has been committed, no matter how well Tim and Abbey work on their analysis.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I know of several murder cases here where they caught the culprits partially by tracking cell phone signals. If you are moving around with a phone, they can know exactly where you were and when. This is one of the most effective tools the police have here for catching culprits.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And of course it could prevent any future arguments concerning some expats that venomously denied they they had worked without permission. One click of the replay button would reveal all. :lol: Especially if tied in with the tracking of the mobile phone signal.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The trouble is GD, it is easy to purchase a SIM Card in Luxor, put it in your phone and no questions asked. So there is no link to the SIM and your name. The mobile operators have nearly closed the gap by having every ones name and details on record, its just the shops that are willing to sell SIMS, without keeping records.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I don't know about Mobinil and Etisalat, but Vodafone seem to have a regular program of blocking numbers for which they don't hold ID's. Then you have to register, via a phone or Vodafone shop, to get reinstated.

I can understand the logic.....but not why my numbers seem to get blocked regularly, even though they're all registered, sometimes within a week or so of purchase. And I know others who've experienced similar irritation.

All the numbers are used regularly too.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You have to provide id for sim cards now, if they are the ones bought from hawkers in the street you soon find they are blocked. I have been to vodafone twice with my passport now.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Actually, they are willing to sell lines in other people's names up to at least 3 months ago. My husband discovered that there were 10 lines made with his ID number at Mobinil and he only ever had a single Mobinil line. He was absolutely furious and was almost ready to go to the police or national security and make a complaint against Mobinil about it if they did not clear up the situation immediately as phones can be used to set off bombs and the like and it's a matter of public safety for them to not sell lines like this willy nilly. It took a couple days to get them all cancelled but another line was opened in his name during those days!