Egypt MPs call for 'containing dangers' of Facebook

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt MPs call for 'containing dangers' of Facebook

Post by DJKeefy »

Upon the request of many MPs in a plenary session on Monday, the speaker of Egypt's parliament Ali Abdel-Al said that there should be new legislation aimed at prosecuting certain users on Facebook and other social media networks.

According to an urgent statement by Gamal Abdel-Nasser, an Upper Egypt MP, "parliament should move quickly to draft new legislation aimed at containing the excesses of Facebook."

"The West has sold us this Facebook to extort us and launch an assault on our personal and national security freedoms," said Abdel-Nasser.

Abdel-Nasser also demanded that Minister of Interior Magdi Abdel-Ghaffar and Minister of Telecommunications Yasser Al-Qadi intervene to limit Facebook, especially in terms of safeguarding the national security of Egypt.

"Those who use Facebook to write things that are highly dangerous to our national security should be arrested and referred to trial," said Abdel-Nasser.

In response, parliament speaker Abdel-Al indicated that legislation should be passed by parliament to regulate the use of Facebook in Egypt.

Abdel-Nasser's request came just a few hours after Egyptian prosecutors ordered the arrest of leftist journalist Khaled Al-Balshi for "slandering" the interior ministry on his Facebook account.

Abdel-Al also ordered that MPs not open any debate on the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni under mysterious circumstances in Cairo last January.

"I order a veto be imposed on this issue," said Abdel-Al, urging MP Mohamed Badrawi, the parliamentary spokesperson of the National Movement Party, and other MPs not to open any discussion on this issue in parliament.

Badrawi had told reporters that he wanted to put the murder of Regeni up for an open debate in parliament "in the same way the EU parliament opened it for a debate last month."

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/198767.aspx

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Egypt MPs call for 'containing dangers' of Facebook

Post by DJKeefy »

WTF - ""The West has sold us this Facebook to extort us and launch an assault on our personal and national security freedoms," said Abdel-Nasser."

Control, control, control!!!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I nearly wet myself when I read a post from our flag-adorned member who wholly supports the move on the grounds (I kid you not) that it will stop people posting pics of a nude woman with a photoshopped head....and then blackmailing the rightful owner of the head.

Is this a current problem you've noticed?

Not something that's given me sleepless nights :lol:

The other proposals apparently are inconsequential :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:WTF - ""The West has sold us this Facebook to extort us and launch an assault on our personal and national security freedoms," said Abdel-Nasser."

Control, control, control!!!
Gamal Abdel Nasser to be precise.

The eponymous founder of the Arab Republic of Egypt (any relation?) had similar sentiments about control of undesirable chit chat.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

There was a Coptic kid from Luxor last year who placed 5th in the entire country on his high school exams. When they asked him what the secret to his success was, he said, "Because I don't have a Facebook account." Enough said.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Parents who allow their children unlimited and unsupervised access to the internet do their offspring no service.

It's not just Facebook either. Plenty of time-wasting trivia on the internet nowadays.

But it would be naive to think the proposed restrictions are much to do about this or anything else related to harmless online social interaction.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:There was a Coptic kid from Luxor last year who placed 5th in the entire country on his high school exams. When they asked him what the secret to his success was, he said, "Because I don't have a Facebook account." Enough said.
Unless the students who finished above him, or were also highly placed, displayed similar restraint with regard to their use of Facebook I wouldn't draw too many inferences from this anecdote.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:Parents who allow their children unlimited and unsupervised access to the internet do their offspring no service.

It's not just Facebook either. Plenty of time-wasting trivia on the internet nowadays.

But it would be naive to think the proposed restrictions are much to do about this or anything else related to harmless online social interaction.
How many parents around to stop all those "adults" playing Candy Store etc!! :br