An Egyptian's view of Expats

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: An Egyptian's view of Expats

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:He's saying he used to THINK the REASON people migrate is to enjoy a higher standard of living. He is saying that Egypt has lower standards and other countries higher standards.

I'm not talking about reasons. I'm talking about whether moving to Egypt actually entails a lowering of the standard of living. I don't think it necessarily is the case. He is assuming everyone moves to Egypt is giving up a higher standard of living and what I am saying is a lot of people are actually enjoying a better standard here than in their home countries, as a material fact, not as a reason.
Good grief..... he USED to think the reason.....was a better standard of living

I wouldn't disagree with you that coming to Egypt may actually result in a higher standard of living. He didn't say it wouldn't.....as I read it.

He's saying they might have to accept "inferior" living standards ......quite a different matter....as I read it.

In my English, "living standards" and "standards of living" can mean completely different things.....as I think he intended in this case. And certainly as how I read them .

Living standards = how things are around you. Services, roads etc. etc.

Standard of Living = how you, personally, measure your lifestyle against others or against what it was in a previous location.