Egypt Politicians, Media Blame Israel For Downing EgyptAir

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt Politicians, Media Blame Israel For Downing EgyptAir

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian Politicians, Media Blame Israel For Downing EgyptAir Plane in ‘Satanic Plot’.

Egypt is awash in conspiracy theories surrounding the downing of EgyptAir Flight 804 last month, with numerous politicians and prominent media figures blaming the U.S. and Israel for the crash as part of the West’s supposed “Satanic plot” against the country.
Former Egyptian justice minister Ahmed Suleiman published a post on Facebook claiming that Israel downed the jet during aerial maneuvers that its airforce conducted in Greek airspace. His claims were supported by journalists Sameh Al-Laboudi and Muhammad Al-Muslimani, with the latter further arguing that the crash led defense minister Moshe Ya’alon to resign the following day.

“The maneuver was supposed to start just as the Egyptian plane entered Greek airspace, and [the plane] vanished 27 minutes after the Israeli combat planes began [their] aerial maneuver,” Laboudi wrote in Egyptian daily Al-Masri Al-Yawm.

In comments translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), Muslimani said: “Some analysts claimed that Ya’alon resigned because he opposed Israel’s involvement in the downing of the Egyptian airliner and did not desire it. Others believe he was fired for failing to manage the military maneuvers in the Mediterranean that caused the crash of the airliner.”

Political commentator and lawyer Nabih Al-Wahsh argued on national television that the “filthy Zionist entity” launched a missile to down the plane and that Ya’alon resigned over his opposition to the plan. He also called on Egyptians to form “death squads” to kill Israelis and mutilate their bodies.

phpBB [video]

Meanwhile, other pundits have claimed that the U.S. and Britain were behind the downing of the plane – in addition to being responsible for other calamities that have struck Egypt over the past year – as part of a plot to destroy Egypt.

Mohammed Sabrin, a columnist for the official Egyptian daily Al-Ahram, argued that the downing of Metrojet Flight 9268 in the Sinai in October 2015, the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni, and the crash of EgyptAir Flight 804 were all connected, and were carried out by terrorist groups that are mercenaries of the U.S. and Britain.

“What is happening on the ground is far removed from any emotion or morality, and is subordinate to the interests of countries and the industrial, military, and financial complex of the world’s strongest superpower [i.e., the U.S.] and its subordinate – Britain. They do not know the meaning of compassion, even though they are good at expressing condolences,” Sabrin wrote.

He argued that Britain and the U.S. provide aid and support terrorist organizations including the Muslim Brotherhood and Islamic State, which target Egypt.

“Is anyone asking what is behind this Western, and particularly British, embrace of the Muslim Brotherhood and its leaders and other extremist organizations – and did the term ‘Londonistan’ come out of nowhere?” he asks.

Writing in Al-Wafd, Wagdi Zein Al-Din agrees with Sabrin, and accuses the U.S. of sponsoring terrorist organizations and being “behind all the plots.”

“The terrorism currently afflicting the world is an American-Western product,” notes Wafd. “The American-Western plans regarding the Middle East are imperialist plans … taking advantage of [terror groups], on the pretense of liberty, democracy, and human rights.”

Wafd continues by arguing that the acts of terror perpetrated by the West are in the hopes of “sowing chaos throughout the Arab ummah, particularly in Egypt.”

Two Egyptian members of parliament have also spoken out about the West’s alleged plans to destroy the country. MP Suleiman Wahdan said that “it is currently clear to the Egyptian public that there is a global plot against Egypt” while MP Khaled Youssef warned that “foreign tourist companies will use this disaster to cancel flights using the Egyptian airline” and thus “participate in the plot against the Egyptian economy.”

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2016 ... anic-plot/

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt Politicians, Media Blame Israel For Downing EgyptA

Post by newcastle »

I would suggest that Egypt has more to worry about regarding the sanity of some of its politicians than any western conspiracy to undermine the state.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And I thought our lot were bonkers :urm:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Satanic plots? Well, that is probably attached to the possibility of the Anti Christ entering the White House. Always better to fire the first shot. Kill Israelis and mutilate their bodies? Sound advice if your wanting to show the rest of the world that Egypt is worth investing in, except for Israelis of course. A more profound discovery is that the price of my mouthwash has increased by 100%. Reading this main post a few bottles could be put to good use.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The first post is based on a translation from the Arabic by MEMRI from. I think, Facebook, Masry, al Ahram and Cairene Wafd. MEMRI is a free US based translation 'service' which specializes in this type of Arabic media - including TV.

One of the general points that MEMRI makes is that the English language versions of Arabic newspapers like Masry and al Ahram run only the stories that appeal to western audiences and these newspapers leave untranslated all the crazy stuff. A similar point is often made about al Jazeera - its English language channels are all balance and moderation whilst its Arabic service is rabid. I guess their point is also that there is a whole lot of nasty stuff out there in purely Arabic language media which western media don't or can't translate. They do and no-one else offers such a comprehensive service.

I don't read or talk Arabic so I don't know for certain.

What I do know is that MEMRI has a few critics who accuse it of anti-Arabic and pro-Zionist sympathies. The Guardian is one of these critics and believes that the choice of stories to translate is biased and the translations, or some of them, are inaccurate and inaccurate with a purpose. The red rag also claims that MEMRI is connected to Israeli security. The Guardian doesn't have too many examples of bad translations - deliberate or otherwise - and, in any event, their criticism is based on one journalist.

I've looked into this as an amateur who has been surprised at the translations on their website which paint a picture of extreme anti-Western and anti-Semitic thinking in Arabic media.

Its true that the founder of MEMRI is an ex Israeli spook and advisor to Israeli PM's.

The overall picture it paints is of rabid anti-Semitism/anti-Western propaganda in Middle East media and this confirms the Israeli line on what is going on. Its a bit of a jump from 'confirms the line' to organized by the same people.

Its also true that their funding sources, whilst including right wing US foundations, also include mainstream foundations.

The published bios of its Board and senior staff don't set off any alarms for me although there does seem to be some current or historical connection with, I think, the Heritage Foundation which is pretty neo-conservative.

MEMRI'S critics include US academics who, to put a favorable view on it, have patchy or questionable careers. Some of its critics skirt the boundary of anti-Semitism - like Ken Livingstone.

Those who swear by it include some of the most prestigious US journalists.Major newspapers often use its translations.

I'm not sure where I come down on MEMRI.

One of the problems with MEMRI is that it is often the only internet English language source for its stories. There is no way to check. Take for example the story in the main post. Its in Masry written by a journalist called Laboudi. If you go to the English version of Masry there is no similar story and if you search Laboudi there is no record of him on their site. Whether this proves MEMRI are right or not I'm not sure. Sabrin, the journo from al Ahram quoted in the first post, doesn't show up with this story in English al Ahram. The first story also quotes Cairo Wafd. That is not available in an English version.

I've done much more extensive searches on other MEMRI stories and, in most cases, its not possible to get an independent confirming source.

The sheer volume of 'crazy sheik' stuff they translate comes as a shock and a caution. Can there be so much crazy nasty stuff out there and so few Arabic reading Western journalists not picking it up independently of MEMRI? Maybe.

Having said all of that I frequently read it http://www.memri.org/, try and check a particularly crazy story where I can and am also using it for some research on anti-Semitism in Egypt which I may post. The anti-Semitism I'm talking about is the real crazy, stupid, vicious, Nazi version and its, allegedly, in a very recent Arabic version of al Ahram.

Wiki pages are a bit passe but the MEMRI Wikipage covers, but does not evaluate, many of the criticisms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ea ... _Institute

I guess my problem is that I don't want it to be true that mainstream Arabic media is viscous and insanely illogical at least some of the time. The realist in me says that MEMRI's overall picture might be true whilst asserting that they don't translate the sane stuff to give a more balanced view.