28 Egyptians Die on Hajj

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

28 Egyptians Die on Hajj

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I just saw this article in the Egypt Independent online and my first reaction was 'What atrocity has happened now? Where they crushed amongst all those people thronging there?'. I am now wondering if I should be reading this in another way. As the article only refers to 'died'. and also mentions a number of pilgrims being able to attend by ambulance, could it be the case that these deaths were natural timely deaths, and just [coincidentally] happened whilst on pilgrimage.

As the departed have been buried at holy sites near Mecca, I wonder if that somehow make their pilgrimage more special in the eyes of family and friends - some kind of honour of the faithful.

Are there any rules or dictates under Islam as to what should happen if someone dies whilst taking part in Hajj.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments on this. It's certainly something I've not thought about before.

Tuesday 13 September 2016

MENA
Twenty-eight Egyptians have died while on pilgrimage on Saudi Arabia during Eid al-Adha, according to Major General Sayed Maher, deputy interior minister for administrative affairs and head of the Egyptian pilgrims mission.

In press remarks on Monday, Maher said that the pilgrims included 11 who had won the Hajj lottery, nine who traveled through tourist companies, four who traveled through NGOs and other four other individuals.

The victims were buried at holy sites in Saudi Arabia after permission was granted by their relatives in Egypt, he added.

Meanwhile, several sick people were able to complete their planned visit to Mount Arafat by ambulance, in co-ordination with Saudi medical authorities. They were returned to hospital after their visit.

Edited translation from MENA

Publishing Date: Mon, 12/09/2016 - 17:33
Related material
11 Egyptian pilgrims die in 48 hours
20 Egyptian pilgrims die in Mecca

http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/2 ... udi-arabia

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: 28 Egyptians Die on Hajj

Post by newcastle »

With a million plus people, many elderly, crammed into a small area in temperatures in the high 40's, it's hardly surprising that a number die...of, essentially natural causes.

From a practical viewpoint, dying abroad is often inconvenient and expensive..

However, dying whilst on Hajj, and, better still, being buried in the holy places, does comfort many muslims even though, as far as I know, there are no 'rules" on the matter. Some hadiths mention it....but are not conclusive on whether or not it confers special status on the deceased.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I was always told that anyone who died on haj went straight to Heaven, no awkward questions at the Pearly Gates.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I thought so too. I remember some years ago someone I knew died on Haj and it was said at the time he would go directly to heaven. No questions asked.
Also if you die during Ramadan isn't that supposed to give some special dispensation?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I thought so too. I remember some years ago someone I knew died on Haj and it was said at the time he would go directly to heaven. No questions asked.
Also if you die during Ramadan isn't that supposed to give some special dispensation?

It may be a widespread belief but it is not specifically supported by any hadith.

http://www.islamweb.net/en/article/1478 ... rming-hajj

Note it says "we hope....."

http://orbitislam.com/ways-to-enter-jannah/

Again, it's a bit vague. There seem to be a number of ways to enter paradise when you die.

I think sincerity of your (good) actions during life is relevant (if anyone's up there asking questions!).....rather than simply dying on Hajj.

But, as with anything based on "faith", if you want to believe it....go ahead. It's not as if anyone is going to prove you wrong :lol: