Egyptian Pound Tumbles to Record Low on Black Market

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian Pound Tumbles to Record Low on Black Market

Post by DJKeefy »

CAIRO—It has been a bad week for pounds. The Egyptian pound hit a record low against the dollar on the black market Wednesday after the North African country’s central bank failed to devalue the currency despite a floundering economy.

The currency was trading Wednesday afternoon at around 14.2 to a U.S. dollar, according to some currency traders in Cairo. That is nearly 60% weaker than the official exchange rate the central bank has kept steady at about 8.88 a dollar since devaluing the currency in March.

Small and big businesses in Egypt have turned to the black market to fulfill their foreign-currency needs as the cash-strapped country rations what it has to pay for vital imports such as medicines and wheat.

The pound had dropped to more than 13 per dollar in July but recovered a little after Egypt in August reached a preliminary agreement with the International Monetary Fund for a $12 billion loan to support its strained finances.

Bets on a devaluation of the currency at the central bank’s weekly foreign exchange auction on Tuesday increased after the country’s net foreign reserves rose to $19.59 billion at the end of September from $16.56 billion in August. Before the increase last month, Egypt’s foreign reserves were about half of the level at the end of 2010.

The disclosure about the sharp increase in reserves—a key criteria for any potential currency devaluation—came after local press reports said Egypt’s central bank governor met the country’s president over the weekend and discussed foreign reserves and food-price stability, among other issues.

Most market entities interpreted the recent news flow as indicating an imminent currency devaluation, likely this week.

But the central bank held the exchange rate steady at its regular auction this week, contrary to expectations, which has resulted in the currency further weakening on the black market, bankers and currency traders say.

Still, expectations of a currency devaluation remain high.

An acute shortage of dollars has weighed on an economy already struggling to recover since the uprising in 2011.

Foreign investments and tourism—the country’s major sources of hard currency—have yet to pick up amid political unrest and a spate of terror attacks in recent months.

A weaker pound would help lure foreign investors, increase the Egyptian market’s competitiveness and help reduce the strain in the balance of payments. Egypt doesn’t officially peg its currency to the dollar but its central bank actively manages the exchange rate.

But the country needs to have higher foreign reserves to move to a more flexible exchange rate that reflects the present market conditions, something even the IMF has suggested.

Besides the IMF loan program, Egypt is also in talks with other agencies and allies for more funding to help plug a funding gap that authorities estimate at $21 billion over the coming three years. Some of that funding is likely to have come in September, analysts say. The World Bank early September said it disbursed $1 billion to Egypt.

But devaluation alone won’t do, says Hany Farahat, a senior economist at Cairo-based CI Capital. “Easing capital controls to revive portfolio investments and [foreign direct investment] is what really can bring this FX dilemma to an end.”

Source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/egyptian-po ... 1475671240

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Egyptian Pound Tumbles to Record Low on Black Market

Post by Bombay »

UK pound is not doing great either at 31 year low against the USD and falling.

All UK companies have now dumped Sharm until Summer 2017 at the earliest.

Thomson have removed Luxor as a holiday destination altogether 2017/2018.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Of course a falling GBP v dollar is not necessarily a bad thing....if you're an exporter of British goods (or run a uK business reliant on tourists). Hence the robust performance of the UK stock market.

The EGP 30 years ago was around 2.5 to the dollar. Now it's 13 on the black market!

Unfortunately, Egypt isn't renowned for an export-led economy....but the collapse in the currency should help tourism.

That's if you can afford the rising cost of air fares to get here :lol:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:Of course a falling GBP v dollar is not necessarily a bad thing....if you're an exporter of British goods (or run a uK business reliant on tourists). Hence the robust performance of the UK stock market.

The EGP 30 years ago was around 2.5 to the dollar. Now it's 13 on the black market!

Unfortunately, Egypt isn't renowned for an export-led economy....but the collapse in the currency should help tourism.

That's if you can afford the rising cost of air fares to get here :lol:
Well this being a mainly Luxor based forum there ain't many of those on here!
So for the rest of us it's not good.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

That's the problem with the world today.....it's all ME, ME , ME ;)
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Well if I owned Facebook or Microsoft one could be less me me me until then.....
As there are 7 people working with me its a little less me.