Egypt removes mention of 2011 uprising from school curriculu

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt removes mention of 2011 uprising from school curriculu

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt removes mention of 2011 uprising from school curriculum.

Egypt has removed mention of the events of 25 January 2011 revolution and the military coup of 30 June 2013 from the history curriculums for the secondary school stage, Ahram Online reported today, quoting an official source.

Reda Hegazy, the general director of high school exams and head of the high education sector at the ministry, said that the secondary history class curriculum does not include mention to the 2011 revolution and the 2013 military coup.’

“The new curriculum follows international standards,” Hegazy pointed out.

Egyptian secondary education is the most crucial educational stage for Egyptian students, as it is the “stop station” between the school education and higher education.

Controversy has arisen in recent years over whether to include the recent political events in Egypt’s school history curriculums.

Egypt’s 2011 revolution toppled the former President Hosni Mubarak. While the 2013 coup dismissed Mohamed Morsi, the country’s first democratically elected civilian leader, following an Egyptian army statement on 3 July of the same year

Source: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20170 ... urriculum/

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt removes mention of 2011 uprising from school curri

Post by Horus »

Nothing new there then, most of Egypt’s recent history is false, they even think they beat the Israeli’s and name cities after their famous (none existant) victories.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Rewriting history in school curricula is by no means unique to Egypt.

Most - possibly all - nations indulge in this to one degree or another. The US view of its war of independence, the development of Australia, the modern history of China or Russia....the list is endless. The State usually wishes to wishes to foster cohesion and a "positive" view of its history and does so, blatantly in some cases, by manipulating evidence or airbrushing inconvenient facts.

School curricula are perhaps the least reliable source of unbiased history and their aim is to indoctrinate the susceptible, absorbent mind of the young with the "accepted" history before they are exposed to critical analysis.

The issue is particularly evident when we come to religion where there is little - sometime no - evidence for the events posted as history.

Repeat something often enough, put it in a school book...and , inexorably, it becomes "fact".
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Reminds me of the Luxor massacre back in '97 to a degree. I could never understand why most Egyptians referred to it as 'an accident'! :tk
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Reminds me of the Luxor massacre back in '97 to a degree. I could never understand why most Egyptians referred to it as 'an accident'! :tk
Perhaps in their minds it was so awful that there is a collective desire to pretend it did not really happen.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As I understand it, the idea is to include in the curriculum Egyptian history only up to the death of Sadat...i.e. omitting Mubarak and all subsequent events - allegedly to avoid politics & history becoming entwined in exam questions.

Presumably, the powers that be cannot agree on the appropriate narrative post 1981. :urm:

In the dim and distant days of my own studies for "O" level history, we stopped at 1914 so, in that sense, the Egyptian system is an improvement on what I was taught :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

In the dim and distant days of my own studies for "O" level history, we stopped at 1914 so, in that sense, the Egyptian system is an improvement on what I was taught
Yes but that was in 1932 :lol: :lol: sorry, could not help myself ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
In the dim and distant days of my own studies for "O" level history, we stopped at 1914 so, in that sense, the Egyptian system is an improvement on what I was taught
Yes but that was in 1932 :lol: :lol: sorry, could not help myself ;)
Mmmm....

I'm expecting, any day now, the usual congratulatory telegram from HM ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Sorry to disappoint you, but they no longer send out telegrams (at least I didn’t get one) ;)
But it takes me back to my younger days when they did used to send them and I had a nice little earner going with the local post office as a young lad delivering them on a weekend, not so many, but the tips were always very good. I was quite adept at standing head bowed and looking suitable servile while the recipient read the telegram, “any reply Sir/Madam?” :mo would usually loosen the purse strings. :P Oh the depths we had to sink in order to earn a few bob in them days, :oops: these youngsters don’t know they are born ……… blah blah
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Concerning the war, we were both watching a documentary about it a few weeks back. She insisted that Egypt had won and no arguments by me would persuade her to believe otherwise. Why? Because all Egyptians know that they had won.
Japan attempted to change history by not including their own war crimes committed towards the prisoners of war. They got away with it for many years until the birth of the internet. Soon questions had to be asked, and demanded to be answered. The government had no option but to reprint the schools history study books and change Japans history again. So what is the point of deleting revs one and two? The truth of what happened is out there and easily accessible to all.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:Concerning the war, we were both watching a documentary about it a few weeks back. She insisted that Egypt had won and no arguments by me would persuade her to believe otherwise. Why? Because all Egyptians know that they had won.
Japan attempted to change history by not including their own war crimes committed towards the prisoners of war. They got away with it for many years until the birth of the internet. Soon questions had to be asked, and demanded to be answered. The government had no option but to reprint the schools history study books and change Japans history again. So what is the point of deleting revs one and two? The truth of what happened is out there and easily accessible to all.
It's not deleted D.

Just not included ;) . The high school Syllabus, assuming the changes are implemented, will run to 1981.

Any school child curious about subsequent events will have to do some homework.