Egypt carries on tradition of steam-free 'foot ironing'

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt carries on tradition of steam-free 'foot ironing'

Post by DJKeefy »

In a narrow alleyway in the heart of Egypt's coastal city of Alexandria, Ebtesam Mohamed is busy working on a decades-old Egyptian tradition of ironing clothes using her feet.

Unlike in regular ironing, she smoothes out creases by sliding a large hot metal slab weighing nearly 40 kilograms (88 pounds) back and forth with her foot. There is a piece of wood between the iron and her foot to protect it from the heat.

Mohamed, a 45-year-old single mother, has been doing the job for the past 35 years, inheriting the trade from her mother and grandfather.

"I was 10 years old when I first started ironing, and I couldn't even lift the iron from the oven to the table," she said.

"We call this little oven the 'house of fire'. It hasn't changed since we started, but (new) heating methods have been developed from kerosene to gas-filled canisters to what we use now, which is natural gas. This is probably the only thing that has changed in the shop."

Hand-held, electric and steam irons may pose stiff competition now but Mohamed says her technique is more effective than regular irons because of the increased pressure and weight applied to the clothes.

It usually takes her up to 20 minutes to iron a single piece of clothing, moving her leg back and forth several times to ensure the garment is crease-free.

14813 14814 14815

14816 14817

"I heat the iron depending on the amount of work I have. If I have to iron three or four pieces of clothing, that would require the iron to be at a certain temperature, and if I have to iron one piece, it would require a different temperature. So it all depends on the workload," she said.

Mohamed's loyal customers say they prefer her method to the standard one. And some are surprised to see a woman taking up a trade that is usually the preserve of ironing men, or "makwagi".

She charges between two and five Egyptian pounds ($0.11-$0.28) per piece.

Source: Reuters

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt carries on tradition of steam-free 'foot ironing'

Post by Horus »

It makes you realise just how hard some others have to work in order to feed themselves. :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Incredible! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

20 mins per garment though ? so thats 3 garments an hour, so probably not much return for all that hard work..

That's about my rate of ironing, but having said that, it is very therapeutic..... 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I used to enjoy ironing and even did it for others to raise myself a bit of leisure money. Needless to say, I used an electric steam iron. Not only did I get paid but I could justify watching a film in tbe afternoon!
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I used to enjoy ironing and even did it for others to raise myself a bit of leisure money. Needless to say, I used an electric steam iron. Not only did I get paid but I could justify watching a film in tbe afternoon!
So, HEPZIBAH used to work in a sweat shop. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:I used to enjoy ironing and even did it for others to raise myself a bit of leisure money. Needless to say, I used an electric steam iron. Not only did I get paid but I could justify watching a film in tbe afternoon!
So, HEPZIBAH used to work in a sweat shop. :lol:
Trust me, my working life has entailed a fair amount of blood, sweat, and tears.

One of my earliest jobs was advertised as 'Nanny'. When I started working it became clear I was 'Mother's Help' (more like mother's do it all). Both parents were solicitors and I later discovered I was employed on the books of the firm as a P.A.! I was thrilled to have job at the time, but I soon discovered that most of the time I was servant, and often little more than a slave. My wages supported that discovery too! Some days a sweat shop may have been a better option - at least I'd have known where I stood.
-Aldous Huxley