Renovation of Hurghada

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Renovation of Hurghada

Post by newcastle »

CAIRO- 23 September 2017: Red Sea Governor Ahmed Abdallah stated that President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi issued a decree to renovate Hurghada in order to make it Egypt’s best touristic spot.

In a conference with the large tribes of the Red Sea governorate that started on Saturday, Abdallah emphasized that there are multiple development projects currently ongoing in the city of Hurghada with the cooperation of the civil society. He also pointed out that El-Dahar Square project is fully financed by an investor.

The governor said that the purpose of the conference is to present the achievements of the previous three years.

Hurghada was the first city visited by President Sisi, as he attended the opening of its airport and the port.

http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/9/242 ... e-Hurghada

So...at the stroke of the presidential pen we are to have a new, beautified city fit for world tourism.

Pardon me while I choke. If only it was that easy.

I suspect General Abdallah (yep...another ex-army governor) will have as much success as Cnut did in ordering back the tide.

Rather than palm-lined boulevards (the most recent exercise in tarting up the place) he needs to have a word with the roads department - they're in a shocking state - and the suppliers of all sorts of construction materials. Despite the beneficent climate, pavements, roads and buildings seem to fall apart within 5 years.

And while he's at it, some liaison between constructors and suppliers of utilities wouldn't go amiss so that new roads and walkways aren't ripped up within a few months for the laying of some pipe or cable.

Then there's the inability of Egyptians to place their rubbish in any receptacle provided, to park a vehicle without blocking the road......etc., etc., the list is endless. No way will Hurghada ever be more than an ugly, dusty city with a coastline dotted with 5 star hotels - leaving only a few scruffy ill-equipped public beaches and virtually no public parks for the local residents.

Other than that...I love it here :wi

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Renovation of Hurghada

Post by Bombay »

Wasn't Sharm always going to be a problem when the bridge to Saudi gets built?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:Wasn't Sharm always going to be a problem when the bridge to Saudi gets built?
I've heard it said that Sharm will, basically, be for the Egyptians/Arabs whilst Hurghada will be for the Europeans, Asians etc.

I can see some logic in that.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Hurghada ? Iv'e seen better more organised building sites than Hurghada good for fish but f*ck all else,
Oh! and good quality marine parts.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Until the Saudi's build on the opposite bank of the Red Sea.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I was quite surprised at the work being carried out in Hurghada, it looked as if it was going to be quite nice when completed but I have to ask, after seeing development in Luxor that never gets finished will the same happen in Hurghada.
About three years ago escalators where built over the railway line in Qena they are still not working but look nice.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I was quite surprised at the work being carried out in Hurghada, it looked as if it was going to be quite nice when completed but I have to ask, after seeing development in Luxor that never gets finished will the same happen in Hurghada.
About three years ago escalators where built over the railway line in Qena they are still not working but look nice.
I think you've spotted the usual flaw in projects to beautify Egypt :lol: