Rooster PR given tourism account

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Rooster PR given tourism account

Post by newcastle »

The Egyptian State Tourist Authority (ESTA) has appointed Rooster PR as it looks to capitalise on renewed interest from UK holidaymakers.

Rooster, which worked with the tourist board between 2013 and 2015, has been tasked with creating a campaign designed to highlight in particular the beachfront city of Hurghada and its markets, nightlife and marinas.

James Brooke, managing director at Rooster PR, said: "We’re looking forward to reinvigorating interest in Egypt’s unrivalled historical, cultural and year-round sun and beach offering."

UK visitors to Egypt increased by 25 per cent in the first six months of 2017, the tourist board said.

This follows several years in which the country has struggled to attract tourists, after an uprising in 2011 and several terrorist attacks in the years since.

Challenging brief, but warm welcome

Brooke told PRWeek that handling comms for a country that has recently dealt with conflict did present "particular challenges".

He said the agency’s work would stay within the parameters set by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s Foreign Travel Advice service, which is designed to offer travel advice to UK tourists.

Brooke said: "Keeping that in mind at all times, Rooster’s role is to effectively communicate the reality of the situation on the ground from a tourism perspective. Egypt is vast, with a rich and varied tourism offering that is ready to be enjoyed by UK holidaymakers. Plus, a warm welcome from the friendly locals who rely on tourism for their livelihoods is guaranteed."

Brooke said he hoped that the agency’s previous experience would "enable us to hit the ground running to build on the renewed interest and fast track a return to the record arrival figures of 2010".

Most recently the account has been held by Hill+Knowlton Strategies and Burson-Marsteller. Both agencies have been contacted.

http://www.prweek.com/article/1448092/r ... or-numbers

Well......they can hardly do worse than the PR agencies currently involved. They mention the soft target of Hurghada but not the more difficult nut to crack - Luxor. No surprise there. It's an uphill task to promote a destination to which there's a dearth of UK flights and not a great number from elsewhere in Europe.

A Rooster-type wake up may be exactly what Egypt's tourism needs. :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Rooster PR given tourism account

Post by Dusak »

But then again, going off an earlier post, not much cockadoodledo. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Trouble is....there's little to crow about at the moment.

Tourists , in Luxor at least, are as rare as hens' teeth. The birds have well and truly flown.

Luxor should not have put all it eggs in one basket. Now the chickens have come home to roost.

And headless ones are in charge.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And everyone is clucked ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Rooster, which worked with the tourist board between 2013 and 2015,

They did a real good job in these years didn't they, is this the reason they are using them again.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Actually Newcastle there seem to be more tourists in Luxor than I have seen for a long time, not British though. Met a family from Germany the other day and they were enjoying themselves and they told me that there were quite a few French tourists in their hotel. Plus a Belgian friend told me that they were returning too, the Belgians I mean. So just the Brits stay away. Plus I got an email from the FCO this morning warning once again about the dangers in Egypt and the soldiers that had been killed. They don't exactly help to boost numbers.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

You both deserve a feather in your caps for those one liners. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Actually Newcastle there seem to be more tourists in Luxor than I have seen for a long time, not British though. Met a family from Germany the other day and they were enjoying themselves and they told me that there were quite a few French tourists in their hotel. Plus a Belgian friend told me that they were returning too, the Belgians I mean. So just the Brits stay away. Plus I got an email from the FCO this morning warning once again about the dangers in Egypt and the soldiers that had been killed. They don't exactly help to boost numbers.
It's definitely picking up a bit...with more European (except UK) flights putting their toe in the water.

The increased tourism to the Red Sea will also mean more day trippers.

Plus you have the Chinese/Indian insurgents and a continued interest in Nile cruises.

Soon be time to hang out the flags (NOT rainbow ones of course :lol: )

I think the cautionary note about Egypt is common to all European countries' official advice.