Drugs

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Drugs

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Why is that whenever something like this happens there is a chorus of '...won't help tourism'? Excuse me while I :a84:

Every country has rules about what you can and cannot take in, and when it comes to drugs it is usually outlined that certain medications, if allowed into the particular country, have to have a copy of the prescription and/or a doctor's letter/certificate with them as proof. There may still also be a limit on quantity. If they are allowed in to a particular country it is for personal use anyway.

If Tramadol is not available over the counter in the UK, and I don't believe it is, the it has been gained either by the woman getting it on personal prescription, or possibly over the internet. If by personal prescription than giving it to anyone else is a) illegal and b) potentially highly dangerous. Obtaining drugs by personal prescription for the use of others is also fraud in the UK. So, this woman has not only broken the law in Egypt, but potentially also in the UK. Execution or even a long prison sentence is more than extreme, but this woman certainly needs the book throwing at her.
I should have added:
Tramadol is not the most expensive drug available to the NHS, but its value on the Black Market probably makes it quite a lucrative item to sell on. Egypt has been trying to clean up its problem with drug addicts so anyone taking in drugs that are know to be a problem are likely to show up on the radar, whether they are for personal or non personal use. This is why it is so important to carry the relevant documentation.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I watched a program tonight about American customs and they had confiscated a large quantity of Tramadol tablets 65,000 in all and they would have sold for $10 each, so on that basis, who knows?
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Perhaps someone in the know could make a list of banned drugs into Egypt or at least those that require a medical certificate as the authorities are making such an issue about it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Basic common sense, only take medication prescribed for yourself, keep them in the original packaging, carry a copy of your NHS prescription, only have sufficient for your immediate needs, buy general pain killers locally. If you do need to carry powerful opiate based drugs for pain relief then get a letter from your doctor or even contact the Egyptian Embassy, if you observe those general guide lines it is unlikely you will get any problems.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From the website of the Consulate General of the Arab Republic of Egypt in the UK. FAQ page.

Miscellaneous
I need to take some medication during my visit to Egypt, what shall I do?
An official letter from your GP is required, specifying that the medication you are taking to Egypt is for your personal use only, the quantity you will be carrying and details of your condition. Please note that any medication containing Methadone is NOT permitted into Egypt. For further details please contact the Egyptian Medical Office in London.

http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/FAQ.php#26
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Tramadol seems to be the biggest illegal drug used by Egyptian men, that's why they get so easily heated and shout at each other a lot.
He had a bad back ? Yeh! right another daft English woman. Not to bright in Hull obviously.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

When I lived in Egypt I would often come across the average ex-pat or tourist requesting drugs for various ailments, the pharmacist nearly always prescribed them something far more powerful than they really required, for the only, but simple reason being that the such drugs are far more expensive, therefore more profit to his pocket.

For the past 15 years, G.P.'s in the U.K. carry out routine annual checkups on their patients who are over 55 years to ensure they do not develop serious problems in later life, so are prescribed some once a day tablets, for example statins, warfarin, apixaban etc. on their own fine mix with others, for example simple aspirin and then you have a problem.

Attempts are being made in the U.K. for such patients to use one pharmacy only to ensure such problems do not happen. For the average Brit who live in such places as Spain and Egypt drugs, up until now, have been easily available, strong drugs such as Tramadol 100m.g. have very serious side effects, some similar as the Dr above suggest,........Well he would know, after all he's a Dr,.............. :wi
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

‘Husband’ of British woman Laura Plummer ‘facing the death penalty’ for bringing painkillers to Egypt ‘already has a wife and several other girlfriends’.

Laura’s sister Jayne Synclair, 40, said her sibling fell in love with Omar Caboo after meeting him during a holiday to Egypt four years ago.

She said her “naïve” sister travels out to see him between two and four times a year.

But she is quoted as saying Omar has another wife and kids in Egypt – which her sister has met.
Jayne said: “Laura isn't a secret – she has met Omar's family and children.

“But he has a Muslim wife and he's allowed to have other girlfriends.”

She added: “I don't know much about him but he likes to take her out when she's there. Even though she's 33, she had never had a boyfriend before Omar.”

Jayne said Laura and her sister had signed documents which made them married in the eyes of the Egyptian state.

The papers were necessary in the conservative Muslim country for the couple to sleep together in the same flat during her visits.

But Jayne reportedly insisted their marriage is "not legally binding" in the UK.

Laura was caught with 29 packets of tramadol, each containing 10 tablets, inside her suitcase to give to Omar, also 33, who suffers from back pain following a car crash.

She is now banged up in a tiny cell with 25 other women, including prostitutes, drug dealers and murderers.

Her other sister Rachel Plummer, 31, said: “Tramadol to Laura is just a painkiller – nothing more.

“She's not the type of girl to commit a crime like this and everyone who knows her can't believe it.

“She's now living in a hell hole for a few packs of painkillers.

“When we last saw her in court Laura was unrecognisable – her hair had fallen out with stress and she was blank behind the eyes.”
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

WTF the story is on some other level it makes me cringe :roll:

She's never had a boyfriend before :tk

“But he has a Muslim wife and he's allowed to have other girlfriends.” Really!!! :tk

Omar Caboo ? I have never heard Caboo for an Egyptian surname, to me it is made up, and meaning
something similar to BOSS :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

To quote Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does" not a lot more to say and did anyone reading this think it was any different? I have little patience for these stupid women. 8)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Poor girl locked up with drug dealers, well what is she? Her Omar knew that the drugs were forbidden why did he not tell her?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Sounds very ORFISH to me. Another trapped woman thinking an Orfi marriage was for real and then realising its a certificate for sex and conning.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:Sounds very ORFISH to me. Another trapped woman thinking an Orfi marriage was for real and then realising its a certificate for sex and conning.
If the article is to be believed, orfi is the only thing she understood.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Can't see that he has conned her, she knows he has other girlfriends and an Egyptian wife and family. She knows what the Orfi is for, what it means, where's the con? Apart from telling her he had a bad back and needed tramadol for the pain, which MAY be true.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Phil Schofield and Holly Willoughby are taking up the story on This Morning starting at 12.30pm Egyptian time so, I think when Dusak watches it he will then realise that it may well do a lot of damage to the tourist industry from the UK. I appreciate there is nothing at the moment in Luxor but this will prolong the agony for local people and business's.
Mind you there is also a chance she will go missing from Jail and later be found beaten to death by the side of a road, a month or so later. The usual thing that people are gradually getting accustomed to.
I do think though there is more to this story, the boyfriend/Orfi husband does not seem to be very active on the subject but that is Egyptian men for you, drop you at the toss of a coin when the going gets tough. He as probably caught the last RIB in the Med. I hope the family do not expect too much from the British Authorities because when you live there they are as much use as a chocolate teapot. I suppose they will ask her to apologise, but by my understanding she did not try to hide them and in which case knew nothing about pills etc. But that's nothing because if you live there you get no information only dribs and drabs that get changed within the hour.

Everything you read and everything that gets reported nowadays about Egypt just keeps people away. It seems that the justice in the Country has gone and the idea that there maybe someone in charge of the Country is fast diminishing.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Well that was an excellent report from the family of the young girl, obviously everyone was unaware or any rules regarding medicines or pain killers. Regarding the Lawyer it would really put the fear of god up him if the family complained to the courts and mad a statement, I did and it wrecked a Lawyer in Luxor, and I do not regret anything, it did save someone else getting ripped off, he cost me 33,000Le but wonder how much it has cost him in the past 6 years.
In the program they mentioned the certificate so they could stay in the same hotel room, but it seems no one has has explained Orfi practices.
I don't know, but as the reports on this go forward the damage will be horrendous, but I am sure if the Government gets her back the book she writes and the Media attention will be massive. The only person who can save face is you know who. An apology will be demanded and this person will come across as being sensitive, forgiving and the apple of everyone's eye, but like all other times as the time passes the chance face saving will be diminished.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

:ni: :ni: :ni:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote: Regarding the Lawyer it would really put the fear of god up him if the family complained to the courts and mad a statement, I did and it wrecked a Lawyer in Luxor, and I do not regret anything, it did save someone else getting ripped off, he cost me 33,000Le but wonder how much it has cost him in the past 6 years.
#

:a86:
whinge | Definition of whinge in English by Oxford Dictionaries
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whinge

Definition of whinge - complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.

Well, it was true the first time and the rest and still is - unfortunately. :a23:
Smile! It confuses people
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You just have to despair. :a17:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Horus wrote: :ni: :ni: :ni:
I do not agree with plagiarism, but in this case :ni: :ni: :ni:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.