Sisi Meets His Crown Prince Charming

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Sisi Meets His Crown Prince Charming

Post by Hafiz »

The Deal - or just the Press Release. The Saudi Crown Prince is full of generosity to Egypt/Sisi – or so it seems

Reuters says it is $US10 billion for a planned mega-city, committing more than 1,000 (?) square kilometers in the south Sinai,….Riyadh’s part of the new joint investment fund will be cash to help develop the Egyptian side of NEOM, which Prince Mohammed unveiled last October as part of plans to wean the world’s top crude exporter off oil revenues.” https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saud ... SKBN1GG0QD

Regional press has it at 14 or 16 but that’s Arab maths, others have a joint investment fund but I think that’s the above in a different form because this Crown Prince trusts few with his money and probably not Egyptians. He doesn’t even trust his cousins. Smart boy.

I guess it will link in with the existing Sharm airport – but my understanding is that the whole development is a lot more than low rent tourism and extends way down the Saudi side of the Red Sea. I’ve read elsewhere that Egypt must make a capital contribution.

The 40k Bridge to link the two countries will allegedly cost only $US4 (don't believe that) billion but only if Egyptian firms get none of the work – then it will be 8. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi%E2% ... t_Causeway

Here it is:

It will be interesting to follow whether any state owned Egyptian firms or the Egyptian Army get any contracts to build their dreadful default designs. One assumes that the bridge should go to an international firm that specializes in long bridges – we will see.

The bridge and the total development on the Saudi and Egyptian sides were agreed ages ago so this ‘deal’ is nothing new – indeed the visit has nothing new for the public – except its connection to the election. Maybe not. The UK visit would have been penciled 6 months ago whereas the Cairo visit only appeared in the newspapers less than a week ago. The US leg must also have been made a long time ago. Another event of importance is that a day or so before he left for Cairo he fired all the leaders of his Army, Navy and Airforce (having fired the head of the internal militia about 8 months ago). He gave no reason for the firings and it seemed very rushed given he left the country about a day later. https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/27/midd ... index.html

The leaked German Security Service assessment of him said he was impulsive.

My guess is that his UK visit is the big one to secure investment, political support from a country that has an army that is awake and can shoot straight (Yemen is a mess and the Iranians are on the march) and particularly on a cut price deal on the float of 5% of Aramco. I think Cairo was added in and this is supported by the fact that there is nothing new to announce. My god he’s driving to the Canal to see the new (leaking) extension that was completed by the army (that have no skills or experience in this area) 2 years ago. Maybe he should ask to look at the Canal books and marvel that the extra billions invested have actually reduced revenue. Now that is a way to run a business – more capital lower profit.

Al Ahram has Saudi talking about joint activities against terrorism. Given that Saudi has no terrorism does that mean the Saudi Army and Airforce will take over on terrorism in Egypt. Now that is good news – the others could go back to their farms, factories, supermarkets and gas stations. http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... g-eff.aspx

Interestingly the Saudi press mention that the Crown Prince will visit St Mark’s Cathedrial and visit the Coptic Pope in his residence. Why didn’t al Ahram mention those? Very odd but I’m sure intentional. http://www.arabnews.com/node/1258986/saudi-arabia

An aside. The Crown Prince has approved women in the Saudi Army. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 31096.html

The Centre of World Civilization doesn’t allow women in any part of the armed forces, the police, the security services, the tourist police, the judiciary (probably), and major state owned enterprise, most or all governates, most or all of the heads of government departments, most or all senior diplomatic postings, all universities, all major hospitals, all or most museums, all of most city mayor positions, all office holders in the Parliament and the headship of all Parliamentary committees (?) etc.

I’m sure the above is neither here nor there for an average woman in Luxor but if you were not an average woman you would take a look at all these road blocks and go and buy a one way ticket. A similar view could be adopted by a Copt – most positions of power, and almost everything in the uniformed area, are closed and have deliberately been for generations.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Sisi Meets His Crown Prince Charming

Post by carrie »

Hafiz if you are referring to Egypt ( center of world civilization) then you are wrong there are women police officers even in Luxor, I know one personally.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As you say Hafiz - nothing new in the MBS visit to Cairo. I suspect the "transfer" of the Tiran islands to KSA was a done deal years ago, as part of the overall plan. Just a few minor obstacles like the judiciary and public sentiment to dispense with.

God knows where Egypt is going to find any contribution to the Sinai development. They are double, or treble, counting their economic resources already with the new cities planned for Cairo, el Alamein, Aswan etc etc.

MBS raked in $100 billion by shaking down sundry princes and business billionaires. Perhaps he'll suggest to Sisi a similar device. With the downturn in tourism, there's probably enough space in Cairo hotels although any Egyptian contributors may have to forego the luxury of the Riyadh Ritz Carlton. The Cairo Four Seasons is quite nice.

The clear out of Army, Navy and Airforce heads by MBS is interesting. I bet Sisi wouldn't mind doing the same, at least with the "million man mafia" . Alas, unlike KSA. he is constrained by his position as head of a fully-functioning democracy, with an independent judiciary and the need to have firm evidence of wrongdoing before arresting anyone. Aah well....

The visit of MBS to UK is more interesting. The UK will be looking to boost its exports in that direction post Brexit. UK has a strong and important trading relationship with KSA...and not just in weaponry. British arms companies have earned more than £6bn from their trade with Saudi Arabia during the ongoing war in Yemen....a war promoted by MBS.

I doubt the recent dire images of civilian hardships in that benighted country count for much....at least in the corridors of Westminster.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Hafiz if you are referring to Egypt ( center of world civilization) then you are wrong there are women police officers even in Luxor, I know one personally.
Indeed....Egypt has had policewomen since at least the 1980's . They have even reached high rank.

"Four female police officers were promoted to the rank of major general in a recent security reshuffle in the first week of August, in what many activists are calling a positive step towards a culture change in the Interior Ministry."

https://egyptianstreets.com/2014/08/13/ ... -decision/

Their role is, however , largely confined to administration - work unlikely to conflict with Egyptian concepts of gender role....tourism, transport, airports etc. There is a reluctance to have them confronting thugs and criminals.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Woops. Sorry I'm wrong. Are there any female Tourist Police a job women would do 10 times better than the current incumbents...sorry recumbents.

Newcastle the London press is pushing that Saudi is the only quick deal prior to Brexit and she will have to offer a cut price Aramco float - Trump knows this and will try better. (off point) The experienced Australian Trade Negotiators are trying to screw a desperate UK on a free trade deal. NZ is doing the same. May's trade trip to India about a year ago was a PR and maybe political disaster. Her refusal of dual open access to long term business/school visas went down bad and India buys Russian junk - complete junk - for its military. If its going to buy stuff that works it might be Jap or US.

A US trade deal seems unlikely as is a Canadian by the relevant date. Doesn't look good. Maybe a free trade deal with Egypt? Didn't the Brexiteers promise a post Brexit nirvana including trade deals everywhere.

Boris was here in July he failed and made a gushing fool out of himself. https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/sorry-bo ... xm1di.html and http://theconversation.com/boris-johnso ... ture-81750 he did appeal to the cheap seats.

All our effort is to get a Free Trade Agreement with the EU - that would deliver a bigger benefit than the UK. Leaving the UK to swing in the wind would be what was done to us in the early 60's when the UK joined Europe and shut us out. Prince Charles is coming in 6 months which won't do UK interests much good. If he brings his wife it will be worse.

I might have got the police wrong but I think I'm right on most or all of the other job categories.

How many female cops are there - do you think the Government keeps and publishes stats on this? My bet is its pretty small. Wonder whether Copt women can get these jobs.

The only way to achieve a positive change in the Interior Ministry would be to start again from scratch. A few women at the top never changed a non-pathological organization and won't change this.

No one has commented on the radical inclusion of women in the Saudi army. Given their rules to date this seems very radical - women with guns shooting men.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

More Money Please, that's more like it!!!! :lol: