BBC Blocked in Egypt.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

BBC Blocked in Egypt.

Post by A-Four »

Information I have coming out of Reuters states that very well known and respected B.B.C. reporter Sally Nabil was yesterday arrested along with her legal advisor. The B.B.C. along with other international media outlets have been blocked in Egypt.

We are told through Egyptian pro government media that a few hundred demonstrated in Cairo, but in truth there were thousands as the independent media proved, also other Egyptian cities reported similar large demonstrations. It has been suggested that certain media used old revolutionary footage.

All this reminds we of the demonstrations I witnessed in Cairo, when El Ahram reported there were only a few hundred, when in fact I witnessed thousands just before I left Egypt up until then as an ex-pat,....we all know what happened next.

I do not wish to scare-monger any of the old ex-pats, but do remember to have at least £1,000 sterling in NEW ten pound notes, just incase the,...you know what, hits the fan. No matter what those ill informed, so called local wardens will tell you, the FCO will only get ex-pats as far as R.A.F. Akrotiri Cyprus,....after that you're on yer own,.......though hopefully someone will advise you to get out of Egypt via BA long before.

P.S. - Even the bread don't seem to be right in Egypt again, perhaps someone should have a look away from the cocoons, to let you know what's going on.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: BBC Blocked in Egypt.

Post by Horus »

Well the UK were pretty good at getting everyone out from the Akrotiri Base after Operation Atilla was launched by Turkey in 1974 even though they did charge us all £40 each for the privilege of flying in a troop transporter. I never did take my hire care back either, perhaps MT can nip over to Famagusta and get my deposit back for me. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Well....I’m happily watching BBC news via telly and internet here in Hurghada as I type.

There was some jiggery-pokery going on yesterday with FB Messenger but it was intermittent and seems to have resolved itself.

As for dear Sally Nabil being arrested....can’t find any mention of that anywhere....and you’d think the Beeb might have mentioned it. :lol:

But, mindful as I always am of A-Four’s advice I’m searching around for £10 notes, stocking up on canned provisions and girding my loins in readiness for being airlifted out. 8)

You’d think that the powers that be here would have learnt that fiddling with the internet and blocking channels only feeds suspicion that they’ve something to hide. And if you’re going to clamp down on unwanted media....for goodness sake do it properly! :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

No way Horus, I only stay in the South, not only that Famagusta is full of tourists ha ha! Much prefer a quiet little village. Our village has only a population of 180, even when the holiday homes are full. Doubt I would get it back over the border anyway. Probably still in excellent condition too.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Anyway maybe see you all in Cyprus, if you put a name and number on the tent you have been provided with I will bring you a bottle of KEO each, cannot be fairer than that, bring a blanket the Winter nights can be chilly willy. Ha Ha. Getting back to the subject, was the BBC Reporter arrested just for reporting the truth? or was it becase she said something about the regime. What a place its turning out to be. It will soon be that every local is a terrorist....
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have just been listening to a BBC report about the demonstrations in Cairo no mention of them being banned or any of their reporters being detained.
I remember when it was the Mubarak revolution, all trains were cancelled and road travel except local travel in and around Luxor.
The FCO did kindly inform us that a plane was being provided to fly those ex pats out who wished to leave. The plane was being sent to Cairo, which for us here in Luxor, was impossible, even if we had wanted to leave. The flight was to Dubai and cost over 300 english pounds.
The French and Germans also I believe the Dutch sent planes to Luxor for their nationals who wished to leave. I don't know anyone who left.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Don't forget you can use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to sidetrack any blocks. I used one when I was in Luxor to watch Sky News.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:53 am I have just been listening to a BBC report about the demonstrations in Cairo no mention of them being banned or any of their reporters being detained.
I remember when it was the Mubarak revolution, all trains were cancelled and road travel except local travel in and around Luxor.
The FCO did kindly inform us that a plane was being provided to fly those ex pats out who wished to leave. The plane was being sent to Cairo, which for us here in Luxor, was impossible, even if we had wanted to leave. The flight was to Dubai and cost over 300 english pounds.
The French and Germans also I believe the Dutch sent planes to Luxor for their nationals who wished to leave. I don't know anyone who left.
So you’re not panicking yet Carrie? :lol:

To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumours of a new revolution are greatly exaggerated. More like a few rowdy football fans and some creative reporting.

I think what got the international media in a tizzy wasn’t that the protests and general hoo haa were dramatic....but that it happened at all! :lol:

But the blocking of BBC et al was real enough...albeit spasmodic.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Sally Nabil’s incarceration....if indeed there’s any truth to that.....must have been pretty short.

She’s alive and well and tweeting like there’s no tomorrow. :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

crewmeal wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:00 am Don't forget you can use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to sidetrack any blocks. I used one when I was in Luxor to watch Sky News.
VPN's have all been blocked since last year. I spent several days last winter with the support people for my VPN trying to find a work around. They told me that had been the situation for over a year.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If you live or holiday here like me, don't go shopping this friday/juma.
Just a 'word from the wise.....'gor blimey when I was a kid........... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:36 pm If you live or holiday here like me, don't go shopping this friday/juma.
Just a 'word from the wise.....'gor blimey when I was a kid........... 8)
More news from Mystic Meg?

Personally, I never go shopping on Friday. Most of the shops are shut while the faithful are doing their bit to get into paradise. :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e lived and survived 3 revolutions. not those 1967 drug induced revolutions, good though they were.
Go shopping do I care, get your your head kicked in by a beardie-werdi not my problem.

Mind You, we will not curtail this saturday' morning's shopping expedition over to the dark-side..
Scaling the dunes and detritus that is the Corniche....

Ist revolution no ATM,s no Booze, no Banks, no IT, but we were knocking out cider within the week... 8)

Ps: After ACE charity shop then Into Tesco's for bacon,
black-pudding and pork chops then hightailing it to 'sunset for those chilled beers and Nile breezes....
Pss: Someone should 'slot Mo Aly..pdq.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.