It stinks!!!!

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

steigen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

It stinks!!!!

Post by steigen »

Thought I would go into the new "spice shop" on the Ramla on West Bank yesterday and buy some bakoor sticks (the perfume inscense sticks) I chose 2 from their lovely displays lavender and musk..What a nice clean well presented shop (maybe European owned?) so here it goes..... the man proceeded to take his calculator out?Why?I thought, when they are only 2LE each per box.... after "calculating" he came up with a ridiculous figure of 70LE!I left the shop after a few chosen words..a lovely little shop selling spices etc that I would of used regular and promoted to mt friends had the case been different. Dont they just shoot themselves in the foot all the time..? RANT OVER!



User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 565 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by Major Thom »

It's always the same, but you did right having a go and walking out never to return. But could it have been 7.0le. I got my electric bill a week ago and he asked for 178le but when I looked he had written and the bill was the same 135le a language mistake, which he realised when pointed out and when shown his own calculation

Your sticks may have been 3.5le each. Only a thought!

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5950
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5925 times
Been thanked: 7394 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by Dusak »

I get the giant ones off the souq, 4Le for a box of eight. I place one under the table in summer if I'm sitting outside, burn for nearly an hour and keeps the mosquitoes away from my feet and legs, although said items do tend to pong a bit once covered with the oily residue. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2758
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 565 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by Major Thom »

I got some in Oz. when I was there, and believe you me they have some funny scents, one was called the "Devils Ass Hole", and another called "Smelly Fingers". They both had the same scent though, so must have been a marketing thing. Mind you anything goes there, even a chain of restaurants are called "Hogs Breath" or a unisex hairdresser called "Bitch and Hound". :lol:

steigen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by steigen »

Major Thom wrote:It's always the same, but you did right having a go and walking out never to return. But could it have been 7.0le. I got my electric bill a week ago and he asked for 178le but when I looked he had written and the bill was the same 135le a language mistake, which he realised when pointed out and when shown his own calculation

Your sticks may have been 3.5le each. Only a thought!
No it was 70 LE...I double checked with him! rrepeating and questioning 70 to him several times...2 x 35 he entered into his calculator...I pay 2LE at a shop I normally use on the main street on West Bank that is owned by a German lady and her husband (selling also preserves etc).

steigen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by steigen »

Dusak wrote:I get the giant ones off the souq, 4Le for a box of eight. I place one under the table in summer if I'm sitting outside, burn for nearly an hour and keeps the mosquitoes away from my feet and legs, although said items do tend to pong a bit once covered with the oily residue. :D
I agree, very good for the mosquitoes on the balcony,these were the smaller sticks...but you have to be careful what fragrance you use as some smell quite foul!The ones in an hexagonal shaped box are quite nice at 2LE each..

User avatar
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2552
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: Worcester, UK
Has thanked: 1185 times
Been thanked: 1265 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by Brian Yare »

Nobody has yet named the shop being discussed in this thread. Perhaps they can't read simple German? I am assuming that the shop concerned is Grüne Apotheke. This was previously a pizza house and is nearly adjacent to Blue Sky.

It would have been much more useful if this name had been used as the subject line, but many people who post on the forum do not like to be helpful.

steigen
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:20 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: It stinks!!!!

Post by steigen »

Brian Yare wrote:Nobody has yet named the shop being discussed in this thread. Perhaps they can't read simple German? I am assuming that the shop concerned is Grüne Apotheke. This was previously a pizza house and is nearly adjacent to Blue Sky.

It would have been much more useful if this name had been used as the subject line, but many people who post on the forum do not like to be helpful.
As helpful as I try to be (and I am capable of reading simple German) I did not take note of the name of this shop,it is the ONLY new spice shop on the Ramla ...
However,I do believe it is the one you describe and its location sounds correct.. :roll: