My new camera is naff - help!

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

My new camera is naff - help!

Post by JOJO »

For the last 5 yrs I have used a little digital fuji 4mpixel camera that is easy to use and takes lovely photos so I decided to replace it.

My new toy is letting me down, last night I spent an hour practicing with it and nearly every photo I took was blurred. The camera hasn't got an eye thing to look through and I don't seem to be able to hold it still enough when doing it with the tv screen thingy magigey!

.......and why can't I just press the click button once- I have to press it twice to take a photo???? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Oh yeh almost forgot, the cameras a 'Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD'
Grandad :D Horus :D ....anybody...................

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I've just looked at the reviews on www.dpreview.com, and that camera certainly has a viewfinder! Are you sure you've got the model right - it is black, and looks like an SLR with a popup flash at the top, and an extremely good zoom lens?
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

LivinginLuxor wrote:I've just looked at the reviews on www.dpreview.com, and that camera certainly has a viewfinder! Are you sure you've got the model right - it is black, and looks like an SLR with a popup flash at the top, and an extremely good zoom lens?
Yes that's the one Stan, there is a window that looks like a view finder but when you look through it it's pitch black!!!

Just took a photo with it and I have it set on SRAuto (whatever that means) and the pictures quality is naff! What am I doing wrong?
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

There is almost certainly a setting on the camera that switches off the screen at the back and switches on the viewfinder. Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifil ... /page3.asp which deals with the previous model, and I think you will see what you need on the setup menu - Dpreview says that your model is only slightly different to that one.

And if in doubt, read the manual! I know it's a sign of failure, but sometimes it helps!

Fuji cameras usually give really excellent results, so I'm surprised by your photo - it looks grainy, which means it's using a high ASA rating. One more thing you could try is to go through the menus, and use the option Restore Factory Settings - that might cure the viewfinder problem.
Stan
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

I've read the manual 5 times over and am still non the wiser, I only discovered the flash flicks up tonight :oops:
According to Fuji " you will never get a blurred photo" :? Perhaps they should put in the small print 'except in the hands of Jojo'!!!

Just found it on this link Stan......
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digi ... ix-s2000hd
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Yep - Page 5 = the button is almost in the same place as on my Nikon!
Stan
jj

Post by jj »

According to reviews there should be a little button that you press just to the right of the viewfinder labeled EVF/LCD that switches between Electronic View Finder and LCD screen

Have a look at the picture of he camera on here

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/conten ... onents.htm

By the way I hate my fuji camera give me a canon powershot anyday :)
JJ
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

I think that the HP camera is one of the best I ever had - even better than my sony cyber shot which I loved :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

A more pertinent question is ...... what on earth have you been doing to that wall Jojo??
:lol:

Love it!
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

Jojo

try holding the button down longer when you take the pic.

We have found that in a few of our newer cameras you have to push and hold it till it flashes, or clicks.
"I think I may have swine flu…….I've come out in rashers "

Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

I'm not familiar with the camera Jojo but can I ask what setting you are using i.e. auto? On auto your camera should be doing all of the aperture, ISO and shutter speed calculations for you and your photo's should not be blurry. If you've ventured onto one of the other settings such as aperture or shutter priority or even manual and you've been taking photo's inside or low lighting conditions this may account for the blurryness.

The links to the camera posted here say that it has face detection and anti-blurry capabilities (that's not the technical term used) so it shouldn't be the camera - just the settings you're using. Have you tried taking a photo outside in broad daylight? If so is the photo still blurry?

I hate reading manuals though most SLR's and bridging cameras work on the same principals and you will get there by experimenting. There are loads of tutorials on Youtube and one of my favourites is a guy called Michael the Mentor. I've bought a couple of DVD's of his - one for my Canon Speedlight and I've now got a Canon 50d so I haven't touched the manual - just watched the DVD's!

Happy shooting and hope to see some great pics from you!
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Ooops - you did say that you had it on auto. MUST be Jojo fever then!
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

jj wrote:According to reviews there should be a little button that you press just to the right of the viewfinder labeled EVF/LCD that switches between Electronic View Finder and LCD screen

Have a look at the picture of he camera on here

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/conten ... onents.htm

By the way I hate my fuji camera give me a canon powershot anyday :)
Yes yes yes-got it JJ, pressed that button and I can see through the viewfinder :oops: :D
I'm off to find Michael the mentor on you-tube now!
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

JoJo, are you sure you have the camera set to autofocus? There will be a little dial on the side of the lens which selects autofocus/autofocus continuous or manual focus.
Also a half press on the shutter button allows the camera to set the shutter speed, lens aperture and focus, you then get a little beep and an indication in the viewfinder that it is ready to take the picture. All this happens in less than a second but if you just press the button straight down the camera does not have time to select the correct settings.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

BBLUX wrote:JoJo, are you sure you have the camera set to autofocus? There will be a little dial on the side of the lens which selects autofocus/autofocus continuous or manual focus.
Also a half press on the shutter button allows the camera to set the shutter speed, lens aperture and focus, you then get a little beep and an indication in the viewfinder that it is ready to take the picture. All this happens in less than a second but if you just press the button straight down the camera does not have time to select the correct settings.
I've just had a look and it is set on 'SR auto'??? However on the dial there is an option of 'Auto'???
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

And that's the one to use, until you get the hang of it - back to the manual, methinks!
Stan