Tapestry, Patchwork and Mending

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Jane Akshar

Tapestry, Patchwork and Mending

Post by Jane Akshar »

Does anyone else do this?

Jane Akshar - mad about egyptology -sane otherwise ....... I think
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Mrs H used to do 'crossstitch' she made me a lovely Tutankhamen framed picture. :)
warda

Post by warda »

I'm itching to learn how to do patchwork. I would like to try to do a simple patchwork quilt but what should I use for batting and where to buy it here in Luxor? Does anyone know?
I do lots of knitting and crocheting bying my yarns from souk but haven't seen batting materials, excluding raw cotton and with that I wouldn't know what to do.
crazycat
United Kingdom

Post by crazycat »

I cross stitch and have done many projects some quite large, also done some long stitch which produce some fab pics of hot air balloons.

My main hobby now is jewellery making, I work with silver and gemstones. I tend to stock up with strings of semiprecious stones and larger stones when I am in Egypt as they are so much cheaper to buy than in the UK
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig:
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I do crossstitch too. The last one I finished was Safari sunset on black :roll: I started it years ago it but it needed the light here to really work on it. I think the end result was worth it though. :D

Warda I don't know but would the mattress/cushion makers sell the necessary material you need?
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

I love cross-stitch too and was looking forward to doing one or two during my maternity leave...however, severe carpal tunnel syndrome has put paid to that!!
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Countessa wrote:I love cross-stitch too and was looking forward to doing one or two during my maternity leave...however, severe carpal tunnel syndrome has put paid to that!!
Oh what a shame, it would have been a perfect pastime otherwise wouldn't it? :cry:
Mimimay
United Kingdom

Post by Mimimay »

Wheww! I hate sewing ! Wish I did like it but unfortunately I take after my Mother :( My Dad used to say about her that 'she could do anything with a needle but sew' :? :lol:
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

- Sewing used to be a very dear hobb... obsession of mine, but more designing, seeing and wearing the results! I never had the patience for needle work other than perfect finishing by hand, which is why I deeply respect embroidery! I have been given family heirlooms by people who don't even appreciate the work of their own relatives. Any day they'll ask, it will be returned with love, but I really like it! I have stacks of table cloths, beautifully embroidered or with fine crochet laces, and to think of all the work put into it, all the thoughts on someone's aunts mind, I even enjoy ironing the beautiful linen pieces sometimes and arrange fine china and silver around the patterns and a home made cake with handwhipped cream... But to do the stitching myself? No, thanks!

- RESPECT!
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

I've made all sorts. I make my own curtains and duvet sets. Helped a friend do patchwork quilts a few years back (she did get all the stuff here, including the batting) did cross stich and embroidery until a few years back. Sadly just don't seem to have the time for it much nowadays. The last things I did were crochet blankets. I can't knit to save my life .... well I can, but I can't cast on or off which makes it a tad tedious! Can knit great scarfs so long as someone gets me going, could make them three metres long if no one came to tie it all off for me!

Mending clothes though ..... Pffft! Can't do that to save my life!

Love your dads saying MM - may have to steal that one day! :lol:
Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

Goddess wrote: I can't knit to save my life .... well I can, but I can't cast on or off which makes it a tad tedious! Can knit great scarfs so long as someone gets me going, could make them three metres long if no one came to tie it all off for me!
What a memory you brought me. That was just like my dad, when he met my mum he could decrease and increase and knit but could not cast on. So had pointy scarfs. My mum taught him to cast on and used to get him to do all her ribbing as his tension was so good. He also embroidered and did a apron for my mum and a bib for me. My mum was fantastic did everything, fantasticly. I have some of her work here and you can not tell the back from the front.
Jane Akshar - mad about egyptology -sane otherwise ....... I think
BuBenn

Post by BuBenn »

I do :) also decoupage, wire wrapping jewellery, knitting, furniture restoration, needle, florist decoration and others..
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I had never heard of wire wrapping jewellery so have googled it, it looks lovely. You will certainly be able to furnish your new home beautifully with your skills won't you. :D
BuBenn

Post by BuBenn »

Yes I will :) In the past I want decorate home in shabby chic style but now I have to find something more matching to Eg.
But for sure it will not be the paintings on the wall of the pharaohs ;).