"All the leaves are brown"

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

"All the leaves are brown"

Post by Horus »

In the words of the Mamas & The Papas
“All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey”
“I went for a walk on a winters day”
Well it wasn’t quite that bad, but we have had some awful cold and very blustery weather this last week and it has finished off all those lovely Autumn coloured leaves that I was telling you about. In addition to that I have had a bad foot so that has put paid to me and my little mate going out for walkies most of the week.
He goes back home tomorrow so I decided to give him a last walk as the weather had improved considerably.
I thought that I would post a few pictures to show the bare trees and the empty fields ready for the onset of Winter, along with whatever happened to step in front of my camera.

I fitted a tinted filter to get a bit of colour into the sky so theylook a bit on the blue side.
It was a lovely bright day and because I could park near by, I chose a stretch of the canal in Cheshire, from there you have a clear view from the Cheshire plain as it rises up towards the Pennine chain that terminates with a Victorian folly, I am sure that Goddess will know this particular landmark.

Poor quality I am afraid, but it was on full zoom and hand held.

Bare Cheshire potato fields after the harvest.

And bare trees also

As we walked further on past these trees, I was just about to remove the filter and reset the exposure when a beautiful Heron swept up the canal and upon seeing me he wheeled back to the right and flew behind the trees further down. I made a frantic switch over into Auto mode and tried to get a picture, unfortunately as it was moving fast towards me and then swooping away just as quickly, my camera would just not lock on the focus and I missed the shot, ah well, maybe another visit is in order.
I did see this years Signets and they are almost fully fledged as you can see by the following picture.
All four signets have survived and look very healthy, they will leave shortly for their Winter home.

The male Mallard ducks are in fine fettle and are squabbling over the females.

Further on as I was looking in the hedgerows to see what berries were available for the birds this winter, I spotted this little guy scoffing Hawthorn berries. Granted he was only a common Grey Squirrel, but he looked very cute sitting there.

I will skip the bit about zooming in onto the large bird sitting in a distant tree, was that a wedge shaped tail? I could just make it out as it stretched its wings in the dimming light. A Raptor of some kind? Now along with a bad foot I have crappy eyesight, so when a couple passed me by I asked "Can you see that bird over there in the tree?"
"Do you mean the pigeon?" he asked :roll:

It gets dark around 4.30 pm and my foot was starting to springe a bit, so we headed back.
I was about to put my camera away when I spotted this handsome fella, he is of course a Mandarin duck and he is the first one I have seen along this canal and as far as I can tell they are the only pair, yes! I did see Mrs Mandarin also!

So that was it, we returned about dusk and Mrs H had prepared some sausage and chicken for the little man for his dinner. He will go back home again tomorrow, after first having all the roast lamb leftovers plus a ‘doggie bag’ to take home with him. :lol:

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Lovely pictures H - especially the ones of the wildlife...brilliant! Not so sure about the vivid blue skies, I love bare trees, but I also love dramatic and grey skies.....today we were walking(sadly no camera) and it was amazing -we had really blue skies and fluffy white clouds then dark leaden skies with flashes of colour as several rainbows appeared - pure magic!

Sorry about the foot.....it isn't gout by any chance is it? ;)

The little man eats well very pampered if you ask me, bet he loves coming to stay :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Christine

Post by Christine »

Lovely as usual H, and again as usual a good narrative to go with it........ sorry to hear about the foot whats wrong with it :?:

Ps I rather like the tinted lense effect, it gives the tree's more colour ;)
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in x
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks for the comments ladies, :) as to the foot, well who knows, a bit too much Shiraz maybe. :P

As to the colour tint, well I was only playing around with my camera and good or bad they were the only ones I had to post for that days outing. To be honest all of the above pictures are pretty mediocre to say the least, but I do not post them here for photographical critique as we have some other threads going for that.

I know that a few of you just enjoy seeing the pictures and the drivel that usually goes with them, :lol: so that is the object of this topic rather than actual quality of the photography. The biggest problem of trying to take pictures when out and about with my little mate, is keeping an eye on him, so sometimes I have to do things a bit hastily.

The other day I took my eyes off him for two minutes and he fell into a lake! :lol: On another occasion he got through a dense hedge and he could not get back to me again. I now have a hook on the end of a walking stick that I use to haul him out of trouble with. :roll:
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Nice pics Horus, not sure I like the use of tinted filters but love the colours on the mandarin ducks.

I managed to get out yesterday for an hour or so but was surprised at not getting my chance of getting the beautiful autumn colours due to the bad weather conditions lately.
Just a couple I kept from yest
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Very brooding sky in the first one Kiya :) and are they Yew trees in the last picture?
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Now sure Horus :roll: if I checked here http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/d ... index.html it would probably tell me, this is 1 of my favourite places to visit during the summer months, its so peaceful & beautiful scenery :D
Wendy clark

Post by Wendy clark »

Lovely pictures Horus especially the mandarin ducks,the little one sounds quite a handful, the sky looks full of it in your photos Kiya. I like looking at everyday photos and hearing of your adventures.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Wonderful pictures Horus.. 8)

I love the Yew tree's.. A particular favourite of mine..
Interestingly, always found in long established church yards.. for a reason..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Z wrote:
always found in long established church yards.. for a reason..
Yes they are :) but do you know the reason? ;)
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Just been reading some info from "Deer Abbey" link above........they are yew trees :)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:Just been reading some info from "Deer Abbey" link above........they are yew trees :)
I thought so :D
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Now that is what I call a sky! Love the dark grey clouds.....especially when there's a rainbow or a small white plane or bird floating across them.
It sounds like gout H....less shiraz more H20!! :lol:

As to the yew tree it reminds me of a recent visit we had across the border we went to see the fortingall yew (thought to be the oldest in Europ at 2-5000 years old) it is now protected as you can see in the picture,it is such an interesting and atmospheric place. According to legend, Pontius Pilate was born in its shade and played there as a child

This tells some of the history, well worth a visit Fortingall is a unique hamlet with lovely thatched cottages and a wondrous hotel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortingall_Yew

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It sounds like gout H....less shiraz more H20!! :lol:
I'll drink to that! :lol: :lol:
That is certainly some Yew tree :) but of course they do live to a ripe old age :)
Lovely pictures, but I never knew that Pontius was a pilot, you learn something new every day :P
sue
United Kingdom

Post by sue »

Super ducks Horus, what wonderful plumage. Do hope you get your space sorted out soon.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

At last, a really lovely day today and I had an opportunity to pop out with the camera for a while. East Kent is very flat compared with Horus' home territory but it has its own beauty with some delightful countryside and charming villages.

We also have many hundreds of acres of ancient woodland all managed by the Forestery Commision. I went this morning to Clowes Wood, just a few miles out of my home city of Canterbury. Here are a few pictures from this morning catching the last of the Autumn Leaves......

I came across a small tree laden with these seeds in bunches more like grapes.....can anyone identify it?

There seems to be an abundance of berries and hips this year, old wives tales would say it is precursor to a bad winter.

ImageImage

This Silver Birch caught my eye. It stretches upward to the light.

An area where trees have been 'grubbed' to open space for new planting.

These five trees appealed to me and the lady on her pony came along just in time to add some interest to the picture.

The Forestery Commision is very accommodating in placing benches in open glades for visitors.

I added this young Oak especially for Jewel to hug. Nearly went and gave it a hug myself, such a lovely young tree, not yet 100 years old I would guess.
Grandad :gg:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Great pictures Grandad :)
I am fairly certain that the seeds in your first picture are from an 'Ash' tree.

I like that open woodland in your pictures and where local authorities have placed a few seats it can be very enjoyable especially if they are in the wilder areas, as you can often sit quietly and spot a bit of wildlife.
There are certainly a lot of berries about this year, so if the old wives tale is true we should be in for a cold Winter, I have already made a start by hanging up a suet ball with mixed seeds, a peanut hopper and another with mixed Finch type seeds including Sun Flower.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Lovely lovely pictures G - I hope you did give that wonderful tree a big hug, all that wonderful healing energy :)
I love trees the way they reach up to the sky so still and yet so strong, and how they seem almost eternal ......................
Trees can also have an affect on our chakras and energy fields and many believe that trees have the ability to absorb negative energies and blockages from our bodies in much the same way as they absorb the carbon dioxide that we produce.
I love to watch the squirrels every morning giving the trees a hugn :D

You beat me to it H ......an ash tree with its "keys" I think. I wonder what specific properties the ash has? I know some tree properties:
Birch - for gentleness and reconciliation, accepting oneself
Fir - fluidity, letting go
Pine - bringing in the light, rediscovering your vitality
Hawthorn - being in the present, being balanced and centred
Box - liberation from the past, looking to the future
Walnut - taking responsibility for oneself and others

The ash grove how graceful, how plainly 'tis speaking
The wind through it playing has language for me.
Whenever the light through its branches is breaking,
A host of kind faces is gazing at me.
The friends from my childhood again are before me
Each step brings a memory as freely I roam.
With soft whispers laden the leaves rustle o’er me
The ash grove, the ash grove alone is my home.
Down yonder green meadow where streamlets meander
When twilight is fading I pensively roam
Or in the bright noon tide in solitude wander
Amid the dark spaces of that lonely ash grove.
‘Twas there while the black bird was cheerfully singing
I first met my dear one the joy of my heart
Around us for gladness the blue bells were springing
The ash grove, the ash grove that sheltered my home.
My lips smile no more, my heart loses its lightness;
No dream of the future my spirit can cheer.
I only can brood on the past and its brightness
The dear ones I long for again gather here.
From ev'ry dark nook they press forward to meet me;
I lift up my eyes to the broad leafy dome,
And others are there, looking downward to greet me
The ash grove, the ash grove, again is my home.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Jewel, to add to your list, I think it is "Ash for bonfire residue" :lol:
I like the picture of the 'tree rat' :)
Also enjoyed the poem :)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

H, the main reason for my trip out yesterday was to stock up on nuts and mixed seed for the feeders. I go to an out of town garden centre where all the wild bird feed is in bins and SO much cheaper than in supermarkets and DIY's. :)

Thanks for solving my problem about the seed clusters H and J. I recognised them but couldn't name them. :(

I like your little 'grey' Jewel.....we have a lot in our garden. They can be a nuisance digging into pots etc to hide nuts but they are very entertaining. We occasionally get true albino squirrells and I have a (poor) picture in my album of four in the same image. We have only ever seen one black one but they are reported to be spreading.

The problem I have is keeping them out of the nut and seed feeders. These so called 'squirrel proof' feeders just don't work for the babies. They get through the mesh, no probs. :) :)
Grandad :gg: