Sewing machine and supplies

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Insidedark

Sewing machine and supplies

Post by Insidedark »

Hello all, i am wondering whether i should take my sewing machine with me all the way over from sweden or could I find one there? And are there any sewing supplies stores in the area? This is necessary as a part of a course in textiles i plan to take...not sure if its feasible to lug the sewing machine (8kg) with me on the plane.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Sewing machines must be available somewhere here. Yesterday I passed a woman carying one on her head! She had a bag with all her other stuff as well. Probably the village seamstress.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

They must be available somewhere here, although I've never seen them in a shop. But there are many tailor shops open on the street where you can see them - I'd suggest calling in to one with an Arabic speaker and asking the owner.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
KJB
Egypt

Post by KJB »

There are plenty of sewing supplies shops (in the Street with Emilio Hotel, for example) but I think you would find it hard to get a decent quality sewing machine in Luxor. All the machines I've seen in use are very old. I've seen several old Singer treadle machines like my Mom had from 50+ years ago! :!:
Billy_whiz

Re: Sewing machine and supplies

Post by Billy_whiz »

I understand I need to post once on this forum in order to play the games, so here goes :D

Yesterday, as a Valentine surprise, my other half came home with a sewing machine for me. I have been talking about getting one for ages but we had never seen them anywhere. I was reading this thread the other night and Stan suggested asking around, so I suggested to him that he does just that. The following day, to my absolute delight, he came home with a big grin on his face, carrying a cardboard box tied up with string. When I opened it I couldn't believe what I was seeing. OK it is very old-fashioned in style and very basic, as KJB said it is something like my mother had years ago, but it has a motor and a foot pedal and it goes forwards and backwards. I am definitely no seamstress so I think it will be more than adequate for my needs and will give me something to do with my time (other than playing games of course) lol

I am not sure of the name of the street where he bought it, but if you stand outside BTech with the railway station in front of you, turn to the right and it is a little shop in that street, on the left-hand side, along from the Rainbow group premises. They just sell the machines and other electrical stuff, they do not sell any cottons or anything like that but I know these are readily available, even here on the West Bank lol

Hope this info helps
Insidedark

Re: Sewing machine and supplies

Post by Insidedark »

Very helpful, thanks!