My latest Bird.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

My latest Bird.

Post by Major Thom »

My latest bird CoCo, Taken in June in the Daintree Rain Forest, Queensland.

Jayway
Portugal

Re: My latest Bird.

Post by Jayway »

Come on MT, one at a time?? MORE PLEASE - - -
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

That should get your pecker up. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

this is a picture of the endangered Cassawary Bird. The father brings the chicks up for approx. 1 year while the mother goes off to lay another clutch of egg's. These birds can be very dangerous and grow up to 2 metres, and have big claws, if they attack you you can suffer serious injuries and some attacks have been fatal. Like all wildlife if they feel threatened they will protect themselves. This bird named CoCo was a regular visitor to the lodge we stayed at in the Daintree Rain Forest, and the lodge keeper would go out every day to forage in the rain forest for nuts and berries, so she could feed them on their natural diet. We are both looking forward to going back this next August, the time cannot come fast enough.

We met some ex pats there and spent a few nights with them at restaurants, they were very helpful in telling us where to go and places to see. We want to go to Mission Beach and Magnetic island next time, also Port Douglas and the lovely Kuranda. Especially want to go to Cape Tribulation again, and go on the Kuranda Skyrail. we have already booked the Harley to get us around. Unfortunately the Cairns Night Zoo is closing so we will have to go elsewhere to see the wombats, however that will be complemented by a trip to Hartley's Croc. Farm and Cassawary Welfare Centre. We also want to go to the Turtle Welfare Centre in Cairns, and the Kerarra Beach Beach Party, also want to walk back to Crystal Cascades. Especially want to go back to the Barrier Reef for the full day, if only to go on the scuba scooters to see Wally the Wasse.

At Palm Cove there are some wonderful restaurants to go for breakfast, one especially is owned by a family from Everton in Mersyside and serves great Barramundi, or Spanish Mackerel. We have already arranged to meet friends at Yorkies Knob Marina and Club, a great meeting place and again great food.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting info about the bird(s). :up
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes I was shocked too, but apparently they live a very lonely life by themselves unless breeding or bringing up chicks. You should see the talons on them though they look, very lethal, and they know how to use them to protect themselves. If you get Animal Planet on your TV, take a look for the series "Biggest and Baddest" One of the programs is on the Cassawary's around Inshfell, Mission Beach and Daintree.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Will keep a watch out for that show.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

You went around on a Harley ? How did you get on with the road-trains? Saw a documentary, they look lethal if you are on a bike that doesnt go real fast ???
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I do not ride a bike like a lunatic, even though the bike was very fast, it was also very heavy, so road trains did not effect it too much at all. I only got effected when "Turbo" overtook me. Please to see you watch some of the same programs as myself. :D

It was harder to handle though on wet roads, and sometime you had to watch the power when leaving traffic lights, but that is only to be expected from a bike with a 2000cc Engine.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Never mind the road trains the train trains can be long enough. Would hate to wait at a crossing for one of them to go by.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

They are slow Carrie especially when with chicks, but they can attack at high speeds and without warning.The way to protect yourself is with a bag to defend against the talons.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I meant the train MT not the bird.
But makes no difference to me whether the Birds were slow or not, with those talons I don't think I would be getting in their way. :lol:
Are the brown ones the chicks or the hen birds?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The brown ones in the picture are about 3 months old, they start to get their colour at around 10 months. They then leave the father and go and live a solitary life in the rain forest foraging the ground for food. The adults seem to have their own territory. Some get injured in accidents and have to be rescued, some fall ill and are taken in by refuge centres, there is a good one at Hartley's farm on the road to Port Douglas.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

So do the hen birds look like the cocks?