Tomb Robbers

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Tomb Robbers

Post by Major Thom »

There is talk now that some of the tomb robbers were State Sponcered in order to provide cash for the state that was falling apart at the time...interesting to say the least and no change there!!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Tomb Robbers

Post by carrie »

What talk and by who?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Probably a TV programme, I saw a similar repeat a couple of days ago. What I am surprised by is that the state sanctioned tomb robbing has been known for many years so it is not exactly news.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Every man and his dog since before the biblical times went a robbing from Egypt. Rainbows in their eyes...
Don't forget our bad haired friends who were busy smelting gold and creating golden calf's while Moses was receiving the 10 commandments.

later, the Romans looted Israel and took it all back to Rome..
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Some years ago the director of the Luxor Museum was found to have replaced some of the artifacts with copies I doubt very much he was doing it on behalf of the country. Yet who knows, he who doesn't pass on gossip or indulge in it might know better.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm Every man and his dog since before the biblical times went a robbing from Egypt.
You are so right John, for goodness sake for sure it is very easy to detect a grave tomb at both Abydos and West Bank, I actually know of one, but it's not important. I once years ago asked one of the Dr's who was searching for a noble tomb what would be the ideal tomb he would love to find, other than for gold. He told me that he would love to find a doctors tomb, I always remember my response,.....including stethoscope, I suppose. This was met with a blank expression.

For goodness sake, why do they continue to dig simply to repeat so much of what ,.....WE ALREADY KNOW.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I wonder why they do not cast their nets farther into the water, ? or spades in this case.

There's more to Luxor's past than just the river bank and it's immediate area. Logically there has to be.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I was reading it in a Magazine at the Dentist a few days ago, called "Ancient Egypt" At first thought a load of rubbish but then thought if the Country was in a funancial state it may have been true.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

All the good stuff regarding treasure will be long gone by now. "Tut's" grave discovery only happened because it was clearly a hurried reburial for reasons I dont want to go into.

2 major sites have been completely removed from Egypt since Greek times along the Nile corridor, and what lies out in the desert beyond the Nile corridor is just being discovered by satellite imagery, which justifies my claims that Egypt and indeed the Sahara has yet to reveal one crazy secret.

A team from Alabama found a site and sought permission to dig there, Zahi refused, then he said He would excavate the site, but then came the revolution and now there are lots of new modern tombs all over that site and those new tombs are still being built today. You cant make this up really, can you ?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

When there were villages on the Mountain the children as all children would went searching for stuff.
They wondered far a wide, they are now grown up but still know where things are located.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Pharaohs used to rob other Pharaohs temples, what's new?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Tut’s tomb only discovered because it was a hurried reburial ??

Apart from the above making no sense, it’s generally thought the tomb entrance was buried under flash flood debris shortly after interment. This, coupled with relative obscurity of this pharaoh meant no one went looking for his burial in succeeding years when the tombs were robbed and/or cleared by the priests of the 22nd dynasty.

Carter’s persistence ended the mystery in 1922.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

But when it came time to bury Rameses 3, sis they not almost drive into Tut's tomb, which would indicate even they did not know it was there ? after such a relatively short space of time ? Surely they would know where each tomb was ?
Evidence that items had to be broken up in order to get them into the tomb, they make such a basic mistake of not making the entrance wide enough for the Chariots ?

So, regarding Regarding Tut, like the Greeks, the beard was not literal, it was symbolic.. take away the beard and what do YOU see ? A Man buried with a Woman's mask ? weird or what ?
First time I saw that mask at about the age of 10, I didn't see a man looking back at me.

Curioser and Curioser said Alice...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dear oh dear.....

Presumably you mean the tomb of Rameses V/VI....not Rameses III. Remember he was buried more than a century after Tut.....ample time for Tut’s entrance to be buried under several metres of debris.And, from memory, the tombs do not come anywhere near intersecting.

The dismantling of large items such as chariots was perfectly normal procedure.....or do you imagine they should have constructed a tomb large enough to accommodate 7 assembled chariots? The shabtis would have been “revived” to aid in reassembling the chariots in the afterlife.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Presumably you mean the tomb of Rameses V/VI....not Rameses III. Remember he was buried more than a century after Tut.....ample time for Tut’s entrance to be buried

If this Necropolis was long term, then there should be a map of every tomb held somewhere. They must have kept records you would think ? or do we assume that these people were very clever expect when it suits history for them not to be.. ?

The dismantling of large items such as chariots was perfectly normal procedure.....or do you imagine they should have constructed a tomb large enough to accommodate 7 assembled chariots? The shabtis would have been “revived” to aid in reassembling the chariots in the afterlife.

To be honest.. Yes ! Why break everything up if this is necessary for the afterlife, ? then at least leave a box of screws and a screwdriver with assembly instructions... These Shabati's ware probably not the cleverest... I thought they were there to pay for sins, not be DIY assembly experts.. IKEA this is not.. 8)
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 amPresumably you mean the tomb of Rameses V/VI....not Rameses III. Remember he was buried more than a century after Tut.....ample time for Tut’s entrance to be buried under several metres of debris.And, from memory, the tombs do not come anywhere near intersecting.
He appears to be mixing a couple of things up.

The tomb of Ramses III did indeed run into another tomb (KV10) which is why there's an offset in the corridors. But a quick glance at a map of the valley would have informed him that both these tombs are on the opposite side of the wadi from Tut's.

The tomb of Ramses V/VI also ran into another tomb (KV12) but, as you say, it didn't come anywhere near Tut's tomb. As I recall, the entrance to Ramses V/VI is almost directly above that of KV62 by several metres. I'm sure I read somewhere that the chippings from the digging also helped to conceal the entrance to Tut's tomb.

As for the rest of his ramblings - as usual, I have no idea what point he is trying to make.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

For someone attuned to the weird & wonderful, it’s remarkable that you find it difficult to envisage reanimated shabtis reassembling Tut’s chariots. Perhaps we’ll leave the matter there :lol:

Incidentally, it seems the tomb builders of VoK didn’t have a detailed idea of who was buried where. You may recall that the construction of (what eventually became) the tomb of Rameses III had to be revised when the first corridor ran into the tomb of Amenmesse.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am To be honest.. Yes ! Why break everything up if this is necessary for the afterlife, ? then at least leave a box of screws and a screwdriver with assembly instructions... These Shabati's ware probably not the cleverest... I thought they were there to pay for sins, not be DIY assembly experts.. IKEA this is not.. 8)
Yer know, it is strange how the 18th to 20th Dynasty came and went in such fantastic fashion, right at the start, the first Pharaoh of this era, Ahmose I had shabtis in his tomb. Of course these little statues were to deny the priest of that era income similar to the ba and ka priests of an earlier period their money to aid those dead from a income from relatives to ensure happiness of tomb spirits of past relatives,.........a little similar to how the Roman Catholic Church aided it's income in the much recent past,........indulgences ?

Little realise that many of the small figures actually had either written on them or in fact held the implements to prove what their duties would be in the tomb, or should I say, spirit house of eternity. We must remember that the tomb KV 62 was no such spirit house, it was a rushed job, that in truth, that tomb was NOT ever to accommodate a Pharaoh, instead perhaps a miner royal, such as the likes of Yuya and Tuya, (KV 46.)

Many of the British museums purport to hold the largest worldwide collection of shabti figures, though until recently, I believe it was The Ash in Oxford that displayed its vast collection as the authority, though things have now changed. If it was the world authority, I assure you all, most of its collection is no longer on display.

I have always found it interesting how the funerary aspects declined towards the end of the 20th Dynasty and beyond, and the 'off the peg' coffins, a number of which are on show in the British Museum. It's sad to say that many at the end of the New Kingdom went into the afterlife with a very crooked necks,......if you get my drift here.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

KV 62 contained over 400 shabtis....continuing a habit originating in the Middle Kingdom.

The duties of the shabti would be indicated by its design and tools carried....NOT by any inscription. The latter would give the names and titles of the deceased and perhaps the resurrection formula from Chapter 6 of the Book of the Dead.

There is little doubt that the interment of Tutankhamen was a hurried affair for reasons which have given rise to endless speculation......speculation for which there is no concrete evidence.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 amThere is little doubt that the interment of Tutankhamen was a hurried affair for reasons which have given rise to endless speculation......speculation for which there is no concrete evidence.
Well indeed, and the fact that he died at such a young age should be all you need to know.