Grand Egyptian Museum

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Grand Egyptian Museum

Post by newcastle »

A BBC talk on the Grand Egyptian Museum…..BBC World Service.

Released On: 03 May 2022Available for over a year

More than 10 years and one billion dollars in the making, the Grand Egyptian Museum is the sort of big statement architecture the Pharaohs would surely have respected. Built on a 120-acre site – just 2km from the pyramids of Giza – and housing 55,000 objects, this will be the world’s largest archaeological museum, served by a purpose-built international airport. Buildings such as this represent much more than a generous space for ancient artefacts. This is a prestige project that, it is hoped, will place Cairo very much back on the global map as the Egyptian government encourages the revival of mass tourism after a turbulent and damaging decade. Within Egypt, it is hoped the grand museum will attract six million visitors a year, while helping to heal cultural divisions and restoring national pride. Will it work? Presenter: Jonathan Glancey Producer: Dom Byrne

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct42c9?

It’s still unsure when the Museum will open….this year…next year..?

Interesting to hear the doubts expressed both by Egyptian archaeologists and tourism experts as to whether this $1500 million project will earn its keep.

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Grand Egyptian Museum

Post by crewmeal »

I wonder what the entry charges will be. What new artefacts will be on display? I hope it's going to be worth the cost of it all.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Grand Egyptian Museum

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 am I wonder what the entry charges will be. What new artefacts will be on display? I hope it's going to be worth the cost of it all.
There’ll certainly be some new artefacts on display. The bowels of the Museum in Tahrir Square contain thousands of items which have never seen the light of day.

Regarding costs, the under mentioned information was announced in 2020…. but could well change in view of the delays and spiralling costs :

Foreigners:

• 400 LE to visit the hall of King Tutankhamun

• 200 LE to visit the main hall

• 500 LE combined ticket to visit all halls

Egyptians and Arabs:

• 50 LE to visit the hall of King Tutankhamun

• 30 LE to visit the main hall

• 60 LE combined ticket to visit all halls

Egyptian and Arabic Students:

• 30 LE to visit all halls

Children under the age of 6: Free