Rubbish dumping and archeological looting at Abu Sir

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Rubbish dumping and archeological looting at Abu Sir

Post by jewel »

Apart from the archeological aspect of this it is an environmental disaster which will only get worse, I was sad to read of all the dead animals birds and dogs just dumped with the rubbish :(

Since last January’s uprising, the archaeologically rich area of Abu Sir in the Giza Governorate has come to resemble an ad hoc garbage disposal site due to a lack of law enforcement coupled with an ongoing conflict between the army, a nearby sand quarry and a garbage dump, residents say.

The governorate’s garbage dump site is situated several kilometers into the desert at the end of a road that also leads to a sand quarry, near the Beni Yusef army base.

However, due to a lack of law enforcement and police presence, the garbage trucks no longer deposit at the dump site regularly, dumping the garbage in the nearby canals, throughout the desert, and among the area’s archaeological sites instead.

The garbage now reaches as far back as the western end of the Moneib highway, starting in the desert and running all along the Mansoureya road canal.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/node/681041

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Rubbish dumping and archeological looting at Abu Sir

Post by jewel »

Things were pretty bad re dumping rubbish when I lived there but I am certain they must be a whole lot worse now. This was an article last year if I recall I'm sure everyone had examples, the state of the river used to upset me the most.

http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/ ... dumps.html
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Rubbish dumping and archeological looting at Abu Sir

Post by A-Four »

Jewel. I was at Abusir a couple of weeks, before the troubles. The place is/was a 'closed site' at that time, but l still had my Blue Peter Badge then, the site its self was clear of all rubbish, but Oh my God, I told my driver to take the back road into Giza as it was quite late, and l did not want to get him into trouble with the police. I had not seen that area for at least seven years, it seemed as though that had been when the rubbish had last been collected, or correctly dispossed of. l even saw a dead cow in a canal, and children playing near.