Cross dressing pharaoh in feminine form

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Cross dressing pharaoh in feminine form

Post by jewel »

An interesting article :)

Hatshepsut ruled Egypt in the 15th century BC in a relatively long and prosperous reign. Despite her success as a female pharaoh, she is often depicted as a man in statues because the belief that pharaohs were sons of the god Amon-Re. Hatshepsut also dressed as a man to meet this expectation.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/short ... nline-news

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: Cross dressing pharaoh in feminine form

Post by Kevininabydos »

this is just a short version of this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29459 with the usual Jewel twist in the leader.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Not mine KA but that of the reporter, and I agree with one commentator viz,

Wow, talk about uneducated. The definition of a cross-dresser is someone who wears clothing of the opposite gender. Since Hatshepsut was a woman, and she dressed as a man, there is no doubt at all that she was a cross-dresser.

;)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

This topic really brings back a happy memory for me and reminds me of the best day I ever had in Luxor!I first visited Luxor with my sister.She had already been before with her husband a couple of times.I wanted to visit VOK,so a well meaning friend managed to organise a tour for us with another couple from Karnak Hilton.We were staying at Pharon and were told just to "give the guide something!"On way to temple of Hatshepsut,the lovely guide told us in way only an Egyptian can that she "dressed as a man!"His tone made me start laughing,his serious veneer cracked,he and the driver started laughing too ,and I realised at that point that the Egyptian people have a wonderful sense of humour!It was a marvellous day,a memory I will always treasure..and all thanks to Hatshepsut being a cross dresser!!Kind Regards.