Ra II Voyager's Anniversary

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Ra II Voyager's Anniversary

Post by Winged Isis »

Ra II Voyage: How Ancient Egypt inspired Pre-Colombian civilizations
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the death of Thor Heyerdahl, the legendary explorer famous for showing the Pharaohs were possibly capable of crossing the Atlantic to establish contact with Western Hemisphere’s cultures
Mohammed Elrazzaz, Sunday 22 Jul 2012

“Civilization grew in the beginning from the minute that we had communication, particularly communication by sea that enabled people to get inspiration and ideas from each other and to exchange basic raw materials” – Thor Heyerdahl

Was it a coincidence that both the Pharaohs and the Aztecs built pyramids? Or that the Inca, just like the Pharaohs, practiced mummification? Or that both Ancient Egyptians and Native Americans built reed boats? One man, a Norwegian ethnologist and explorer, thought it was not at all a coincidence.

Between what he thought and what he proved, an epic voyage would immortalise his name and practically demonstrate a fact that shocked everyone: contact could have been established between Ancient Egyptian seafarers and Native American cultures millennia before the Vikings and Columbus.

What did it take to prove this theory? It took an extraordinary man called Thor Heyerdahl and a weird-looking boat called Ra II.

To understand the relationship between the Pharaohs and Pre-Colombian civilizations, one has to start in Oslo, and to be more accurate, at the Kon-Tiki Museum. The Museum is named after the Inca-style balsa raft that carried Heyerdahl on one of his most famous journeys, in which he sailed across the Pacific for 101 days from Peru to Polynesia (1947). The raft is on display at the Museum, and so is ‘Ra II’, the ship that carried him and his crew on an expedition that further immortalised his name and cemented his legacy.

A GOD SAILS INTO THE SETTING SUN

“Sailing a ship of papyrus reeds, held together only with rope, we crossed the Atlantic from Africa to the West Indies. We make the 57-day trip in this incredible craft to learn if such a boat – a copy of those used thousands of years ago – could have crossed the ocean and carried elements of ancient culture of the Mediterranean to the Western Hemisphere" – Thor Heyerdahl, The Voyage of Ra II (National Geographic, January 1971, Volume 139, Number 1).

Passion and belief can work miracles, especially for an explorer. That was exactly the case for Heyerdahl, who defied all the long-standing theories, which held that it was impossible for Ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean vessels to cross the Atlantic. Following a failed attempt with a papyrus boat (called Ra, after the Egyptian God), he set sail again from Safi (a Phoenician port in Morocco) with the same crew in a new boat, Ra II.

On board, eight men from eight nations formed a multicultural crew working in harmony under the sun disc that adorned the sail (one of the crew members, Georges Sourial, was Egyptian).

Day after day, the crew faced the bad temper of the Atlantic, unaware they were making history. The whole world held its breath as the 12-metre reed boat floated like a cork on the surface of a ruthless ocean, finally reaching Barbados after an epic journey of 6100 km over 57 days.

The expedition’s success quickly made headlines all over the world, and proved that prehistoric journeys of the sort were possible. No one believed a reed boat could survive more than two weeks on the high seas, let alone cross the Atlantic. Heyerdahl put an end to the controversy: cross-oceanic contact is much older than we thought, and so is cross-cultural exchange.

Later, Heyerdahl would embark on other expeditions, most notably on the Tigris, in which he set his boat on fire as a political statement against the war. He received countless honours and published many books, two of which remain to be among the best travel literature of all time: The Kon-Tiki Expedition and The Ra Expeditions.

THE LEGACY

The Ra II Expedition eventually inspired generations of explorers, adventurers and scientists. Dominique Görlitz was one such figure. Building on the –disputed- discovery of traces of tobacco and coca (native to the Americas) in some ancient Egyptian mummies, he decided to set sail in 2007 in a reed boat (Abora III) from the US to Spain (and then North Africa). The point was to prove that sailing the Atlantic against the current was possible, and that tobacco could have reached Egypt through Western seafarers.

The legacy of Heyerdahl is not limited to his scientific work. His humanistic values remain to inspire everyone that reads about his life and work: value like peace, condemning violence, respect for cultural diversity, and above all, the power of the dream.

Throughout a long career marked by bitter failures and spectacular successes, he never gave up on dreaming and working hard on pursuing his dreams. Last year, Heyerdahl’s Archives were inscribed in the UNESCO Memory of the World Register. Photos, films, documents and diaries, the Archives are of great historical and cultural value, but the true value lies in his humanism, something that can be appreciated when we contemplate what he said reflecting on his personal experience: “Borders, I have never seen one. But I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.”

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... lombi.aspx

The original journey fascinated me as a child (in my well thumbed Reader's Digest Young People's Annual!). But I had/have my doubts the Egyptians ever did it: How could they survive re food/fresh water? Heyerdahl and crew knew about their destination, the Egyptians didn't. They wouldn't have been able to see any land to aim for, even an island.

Carpe diem! :le:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Ra II Voyager's Anniversary

Post by LivinginLuxor »

"Was it a coincidence that both the Pharaohs and the Aztecs built pyramids? Or that the Inca, just like the Pharaohs, practiced mummification? Or that both Ancient Egyptians and Native Americans built reed boats? "

No detraction of Thor Heyerdahl's courage in his expeditions - as a boy I was enthralled reading his Kon-Tiki Expedition, but it is fairly easy to see that cultures from all over the world built pyramids. It seems that such monuments may be seen as a 'stairway' to a heaven where their major sky gods lived. And of course, several thousand years passed between the Egyptian and Aztec pyramids being built.

Mummification could easily be another coincidence, in that the Atacama desert is one of the driest places in the world, and natural mummification by dehydration takes place. Once bodies are sealed in tombs, instead of earth burials, they rot. Hence the need for artificial mummification.

Reed boats - any area where there are large reed plantations, will produce reed boats as it is quite a useful material to make them from - easier to build and replace than wooden ones.

Last night I watched a National Geographic program - China's Ghost Army - about the terra-cotta warriors from the first emperor's tomb. One thing that came from it was that the purple used to decorate the warriors was originally thought to show cultural transmission from Egypt through trade or other means, which was the only other part of the world to use the same blue pigment - but on further analysis, it was proved that the two pigments only shared one ingredient, which was available both in China and Egypt.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
TonyC

Re: Ra II Voyager's Anniversary

Post by TonyC »

The Kon-Tiki expedition was the big adventure when I were but a lad. A town cinema arranged morning screenings of the 1951 documentary film for local schools and I remember being thrilled that this actually happened. My hero worship changed two years later when the schools trooped off again to see Everest conquered.

One thing niggles me about the Ra voyage. Yes, it seemed to suggest that ancient civilisations could have interacted but the first boat, built of African reed, broke up. The craft that did make it from Africa to the West Indies appears to have been built by Peruvians from a strong reed found in South America!